Shallow primer pockets on new Norma .458WM brass?

BenKK

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
G’day,

I went to load some new Norma brass in .458WM and can see/feel that the primers are sitting just slightly above flush. At first I was using Federal primers, so changed to CCI to see if that made a difference, which it did but still a whisker proud. Hard to photograph but the CCI are actually better than the Federals. Using an RCBS hand-priming tool. Usually everything is nicely flush or a whisker under flush.

What are your thoughts on this? Will they be okay to use? I was hoping to lug this rifle around for safety on a hike next week and have no other ammo for it.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom/knowledge. Cheers!

Image1655327205.642862.jpg
IMG_4322.JPG
IMG_4321.JPG
IMG_4318.JPG
Image1655327347.551639.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Gday Ben

I've had this with Win cases so I changed to Bertram and not had issue since

Heaps cheaper at under $200 per 100 and Oz made as well

Measure the depth of your P/Pockets and then the height of your primers will give an indication of which is at fault

With the Win cases I ended up using the primer pocket tool to re set the bottom of the pocket

Bit of mucking around but it worked

Hello Ben, my advice is DO NOT use a combination of pocket dept / primer than is shallow, even by a very small misure.
I use to always uniform any primer pocket, with the Redding "Primer Pocket Uniformer", a very simple device that is super easy to work with, and produces great results in terms of uniformity and precision. Here it is :
20220615_233633.jpg

Hello Ben, my advice is DO NOT use a combination of pocket dept / primer than is shallow, even by a very small misure.
I use to always uniform any primer pocket, with the Redding "Primer Pocket Uniformer", a very simple device that is super easy to work with, and produces great results in terms of uniformity and precision. Here it is : View attachment 471617
Any more detail as to your warning ?

Just finished working a load up with new Norma Brass for a 416 Rigby. Had the same issue. Primers just a little above flush On some of the rounds. The bolt did not close as easily on those rounds. It wasn’t hard to close, but enough that I could tell a difference. I bought a primer pocket uniformer from Brownells. It fits in a drill and works great. I had a manual uniformer, but after doing a few, decided the electric method was a lot easier.

here’s the link for the tool I am using. Its easy to use and works great.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 6.28.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 6.28.28 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 34
Any more detail as to your warning ?
Well, since the primer is the most (exposed) sensible part of the cartridge, I want that it stays "protected" by the head of the cartridge, exactly as it is supposed and designed to work. You'll not find any commercial cartridge of any caliber, of any brand, that has a shallow primer, and this I bet not only for accuracy, but mostly for safety reasons.

Also, I guess on some rifles, the bolt will not close if the primer is shallow even by a small margin, and forcing it to close, can be (again) dangerous.

Well, since the primer is the most (exposed) sensible part of the cartridge, I want that it stays "protected" by the head of the cartridge, exactly as it is supposed and designed to work. You'll not find any commercial cartridge of any caliber, of any brand, that has a shallow primer, and this I bet not only for accuracy, but mostly for safety reasons.
Mr Giordano I am definitely not the brightest bulb in this bunch, could you please educate me on what you mean by shallow primer thank you

Any amount above flush- not good. Others have posted the correct solutions. Primer, when fully bottomed out with a tiny skosh of compression, should be a bit below flush with base of case. I use a couple of tools of very simple, similar design for this, one turned by hand, the other chucked in a drill.

Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 7.51.12 PM.png

G’day,

I went to load some new Norma brass in .458WM and can see/feel that the primers are sitting just slightly above flush. At first I was using Federal primers, so changed to CCI to see if that made a difference, which it did but still a whisker proud. Hard to photograph but the CCI are actually better than the Federals. Using an RCBS hand-priming tool. Usually everything is nicely flush or a whisker under flush.

What are your thoughts on this? Will they be okay to use? I was hoping to lug this rifle around for safety on a hike next week and have no other ammo for it.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom/knowledge. Cheers!

View attachment 471608View attachment 471609View attachment 471610View attachment 471611View attachment 471612
Hello,
On my 300 mag and larger (up to 404 Jeffery), my rcbs hand primer does not seat federal , cci, Winchester primers below case head. After using hand primer, I finish seating with press seater. I always use Sinclair primer pocket reamer especially on new brass. Can’t tell you why. Been that way for 20+ years. Just another step.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 6.47.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 6.47.25 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 6.47.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 6.47.26 AM.png
    585.1 KB · Views: 41
I recently loaded some new Norma brass in 6.5x55 and had issues with seating Federal primers. I prime using my RCBS Rockchucker Supreme press, so plenty of leverage available. I ended up running on the primer pockets on my Lyman Case Prep Express, using the primer pocket reamer and uniformer. A light touch on these and all was good.

BenKK, I've has primer pocket problems with most of the Norma brass I've purchased in the last couple of years. The Primer Pocket Uniformers mentioned above will make short work of this issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
corteiztracksuit45

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!