Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
PHASA, BASA, CHASA, SCI, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Sweden, England, U.S.A.,Botswana, Mozambique and Zimbabwe
General Hunting

Sometimes during these hunting shows some info come under my attention, and I think it is important to share. I therefore will share this post on as many applicable forums as possible.

No names no drill needed, but take note of the following:

The only provinces where you can legally hunt Serval are:
Limpopo, Mpumalanga, North West and Natal

Folks it is 100% illegal to shoot a Serval in the Free State, unless your Outfitter gets a special permit. Therefore to hunt one with hounds are NOT permitted. Outfitters in the Free State Province that knows the regulations for special permits please chime in here.

How badly you want to do that you will be in violation of a South African law, and might be in contravention of the Lacey Act in the USA. I stand to be corrected on the Lacey Act.

There are legal ways to hunt them, just make sure that it is. A Good Starting point is the following. The permits are valid for 30 days. Ask your Outfitter, before you go on the hunt, for a copy of your permit. Sadly that will be only a couple of days before your departure. Look on the permit for the following detail:
1. Name of the Outfitter
2. Name of the Professional Hunter
3. Method of take (hunt/rifle/etc.) If hounds are to be used it should be specified on the permit in most provinces.
4. Province where the hunt will be conducted. If the permit states another province as the one that you will be hunting in the hunt will be illegal.

This way at least you know for sure if the hunt is legal or not. I do not believe there is one Outfitter that will not refund your deposit if called out on this type of trickery.

The biggest problem in our "industry" is that clients trust Outfitters to do the right thing. And sadly there are Outfitters that will do or say anything to sell a hunt, and the client ends up with the rotten apple. Hunt with a reputable outfit, and check your references. These forums is about as good a place to ask about people as anywhere else.

Good hunting!

Charl, I appreciate the heads up.
Help me get this more clear.
By what you have shared it is legal to hunt Serval in the Free State IF a special permit is present.

Is the issue about using dogs?

In South Africa ALL hunting is illegal UNLESS permitted otherwise. We have Outfitter permits, PH permits, P3 permits, TOPS permits, "open" landowner permits, Problem animal permits, and so forth.
All the provinces have their own rules and laws on what hunts, methods and animals are allowed to be hunted in that province.

In the Free State they do not issue permits for hunting Serval, as it is not listed. That is not to say that the Outfitter can apply for a special permit and maybe get it. On the application he can request the method of hunt to be hounds. If he gets such a permit he is legal.

So its not about the dogs per se, but more about Serval getting a special license or not. And they do not issue them

I hope this answers your question?

That is clearer.
They do not issue permits in the Free State for Serval hunting as they are not a listed species in the Ordinance.

I certainly couldn't find them listed in the schedules.
https://phasa.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Vrystaat_Ord.pdf

Further to another thread. This might be one more reason to have your own GPS, to ensure you know in which province you are hunting.

Attachments

• Vrystaat_Ord.pdf
    200.8 KB · Views: 186
Is this your trophy Charl?
Where was it hunted? Just curious.

10736306_10153352457183084_1399212413_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaSelf

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!