Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI, QDMA
Hunted
MI, TX, MO, South Africa Limpopo & Northwest Provinces
I am bring my T/C Encore with one barrel on a PG safari in SA next August and I have a question about serial numbers. My receiver has a serial number stamped on it but my custom barrel only has the caliber and manufacture on it, do I need to have a serial number stamped on the barrel?

No the number is on the receiver. My rifles had the number on the receiver only. We took rifles that had custom barrels and only the cartridge is marked on the barrel just like your(and mine) Encore receiver and barrel are marked.
What cartridge/bullet is your barrel, if I may ask?

Its a Bergara barrel in .35 Whelen. Did you have any issues with the SAP bring your rifle into SA?

we took one last year and they did not look at the barrel at all. They just want a number and don't care were it is. We took a 50 cal muzzlerloader last trip.

None except they were slow. I suggest using a gun service person. I would do so if I get to go back. One actually helped me, for money, so I would not miss my plane from Joberg to Cape Town.

SAPS are actually pretty damn efficient on the firearm desk, assuming the import permit is in order. they seldom look for export paperwork and its normally a quick check of serial number match to docs and off you go.........my experiences.

but it is Africa, so I am sure there are days when things happen quite differently!

I took a encore in 2013 and had no problems. They checked the frame SER# and calibre markings and all was good. Mine was a custom in 9.3x74R.

A friend of mine had problems with that in 2006. They finally had him scratch a number on it with a screw driver.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marplot

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois