Serial Number for Encore Barrels

Discussion in 'Before & After the Hunt' started by Art Lambart II, May 18, 2015.

1. Art Lambart II

Art Lambart II AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCI, QDMA
    Hunted:
    MI, TX, MO, South Africa Limpopo & Northwest Provinces
    I am bring my T/C Encore with one barrel on a PG safari in SA next August and I have a question about serial numbers. My receiver has a serial number stamped on it but my custom barrel only has the caliber and manufacture on it, do I need to have a serial number stamped on the barrel?

2. Divernhunter

Divernhunter AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club, Manteca sportsman club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    No the number is on the receiver. My rifles had the number on the receiver only. We took rifles that had custom barrels and only the cartridge is marked on the barrel just like your(and mine) Encore receiver and barrel are marked.
    What cartridge/bullet is your barrel, if I may ask?

3. Art Lambart II

Art Lambart II AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCI, QDMA
    Hunted:
    MI, TX, MO, South Africa Limpopo & Northwest Provinces
    Its a Bergara barrel in .35 Whelen. Did you have any issues with the SAP bring your rifle into SA?

4. billc

billc AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
    we took one last year and they did not look at the barrel at all. They just want a number and don't care were it is. We took a 50 cal muzzlerloader last trip.

5. Divernhunter

Divernhunter AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club, Manteca sportsman club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    None except they were slow. I suggest using a gun service person. I would do so if I get to go back. One actually helped me, for money, so I would not miss my plane from Joberg to Cape Town.

6. Jumbo

Jumbo AH Veteran

Member of:
    SAGA, SA Hunters
    Hunted:
    RSA
    SAPS are actually pretty damn efficient on the firearm desk, assuming the import permit is in order. they seldom look for export paperwork and its normally a quick check of serial number match to docs and off you go.........my experiences.

but it is Africa, so I am sure there are days when things happen quite differently!

7. AZDAVE

AZDAVE AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
    I took a encore in 2013 and had no problems. They checked the frame SER# and calibre markings and all was good. Mine was a custom in 9.3x74R.

8. Jeff P

Jeff P AH Member

A friend of mine had problems with that in 2006. They finally had him scratch a number on it with a screw driver.