Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Chris Esterhuizen of Jongosi Media who does a lot of video work for both Serapa Safaris and clients alike sent me this video yesterday, thought I would share.

Buff was lying down on first shot if anyone was wondering.

Great video. I like the sound track

Cool video Phil. Serapa looks amazing, can't wait to see it in person. Please tell Jacques hi from Jacques

Some day!!!!!

Very nice video Phil. The Serapa lodge is as impressive from the air as it is from ground level pictures.
But why shoot a buff that is lying down? Could the PH not get the animal up or could the client not walk to keep up with the animal?

Great video Phil and congrats to the hunter!

Very nice video Phil. The Serapa lodge is as impressive from the air as it is from ground level pictures.
But why shoot a buff that is lying down? Could the PH not get the animal up or could the client not walk to keep up with the animal?

Perhaps because that was the shot presemted?

I'm confused Charlie. In your opinion was the shot angle or distance inappropriate for some reason?

Reactions: BWH

No I think the lodge is more impressive in person.

I haven't a clue why the buff was shot lying down, I was only told by Chris the videographer that it was the first shot and not a followup. If it had anything to do with a client's inability I would certainly not be inclined to post it on an open forum.

I'm sure the PH could have alerted the buff and got it up and running. I can only presume the buff offered an open shot into the vitals and both PH and client felt good about the shot. I've had Jacques tell me enough stories of wounded buffalo chases that I'm quite certain the PH on this hunt was not wanting a client to take just any shot.

Great video Phil and congrats to the hunter!

Perhaps because that was the shot presemted?

I'm confused Charlie. In your opinion was the shot angle or distance inappropriate for some reason?

Not at all! I think that part of the adventure of hunting a buff is facing him. I wouldn't want to shoot one that was lying down. I'm sure people have done it and will In The future. Just interested to know if there were circumstances that made shooting an animal lying down necessary or if it was just choice.

Not at all! I think that part of the adventure of hunting a buff is facing him. I wouldn't want to shoot one that was lying down.

One thing that can be confusing in video is you can't tell the distance between the hunter and animal very well. Always looks further than what it actually is. So I asked Chris what the distance was, he told me 32 yards. One thing you can see clearly in the video is that there was no more cover between the hunter and the bull. I think 32 yards is getting pretty close and would have to say the PH played the wind well and both PH/client alike also did a good job of staying quiet. So as far as your last question goes, I'd have to presume it was a choice the client made to go ahead and take the shot. His money, his hunt, his choice.

I remember at the start of your thread on your upcoming hippo hunt asking if you planned on taking one on land or in the water. As I recall you said you were leaving it up to Pieter. Should I take it from your statement above you've changed your mind and are now planning on taking your hippo on land?

I've seen a lot of hunts/footage of sheep hunts, coues deer, mule deer..... where shooting them in the bedded position is quite normal. I'm not here to judge..... 30 yards is damn close.... sitting or standing.

Some nice footage, congrats to the hunter! Brings back some great memories of the time i had there!

Not the same thing at all Phil and you know it. Leave it to you to twist something into what it's not. A hippo in the water is not lying down. They are standing from what I have seen. Watched a group for two days in the Oliphant river. Furthermore, a hippo in the water is incredibly fast and they have their senses about them. They can also submerge to get away from a hunter. A Cape buffalo lying down is not fast and Unlike a hippo it can't melt into the ground! I am all for stalking any animal which is one of the parts of hunting I like most.

So yes I will shoot the hippo in the water but I will not shoot a buff or any other land animal lying down. My father taught me over 45 years ago that you didn't do that.

Like you said it was the mans hunt his money his choice.....why couldn't you just leave it at that. No not you Phil...... Got to try to indite someone by twisting something around.

Not the same thing at all Phil and you know it. Leave it to you to twist something into what it's not. A hippo in the water is not lying down. They are standing from what I have seen. Watched a group for two days in the Oliphant river. Furthermore, a hippo in the water is incredibly fast and they have their senses about them. They can also submerge to get away from a hunter. A Cape buffalo lying down is not fast and Unlike a hippo it can't melt into the ground! I am all for stalking any animal which is one of the parts of hunting I like most.

So yes I will shoot the hippo in the water but I will not shoot a buff or any other land animal lying down. My father taught me over 45 years ago that you didn't do that.

Like you said it was the mans hunt his money his choice.....why couldn't you just leave it at that. No not you Phil...... Got to try to indite someone by twisting something around.

The thing is Charlie I never criticized your decision, though I have read/heard people say shooting a hippo on land to be far more exciting and some say in water it's boring. So I haven't indicted anyone. Yet you're on the defensive now. But it didn't seem to bother you to criticize this buff hunt.

I really enjoyed the part of the springbuck running and the music that went with it.

I don't see the difference if it's standing in the shade chewing it's cud or laying down and chewing it's cud. If the stalk was executed well and the animal was unaware what is the difference?

Great video clip. Music and movement timing is a pretty nice touch.

This video is awesome! Great job Chris my friend!! For those who haven't been to Serapa- it's an absolute must!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoraceBrei

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!