Selling A Firearms Collection

FWB:

First, I'd suggest you get your FFL. (https://www.atf.gov/firearms/apply-license ) Cost is $200 for 3 year license. That way, you won't be paying a 3rd party $25-$40 per gun for a transfer (assuming you are selling thru GB or similar). Once you get your FFL, what's the big deal then with selling on Gunbroker?

Second option, where do you go to look at guns? Go to some of your local gunshops and see what they'll do for you on a consigment basis. If a local guy is willing to take 5-10 guns at a time with no cost to him, there might be a win-win deal to be had.

Third, like several have already said here, publish a list on this sight, step back and watch the feeding frenzy.

Last, give a few away, either for a charity to auction off or to a relative and just anyone you want to. I gave a Ruger M77 in 7.62x39 to a rancher/outfitter with 3 young sons. They were at the perfect age to step up from a 22 and I figured this was a good caliber and cheap ammo to get a lot of good use out of.

Dave

I would wait till after the election. I hate to be a pessimist but unless wikki leaks publishes photos of Hillary in bed with little girls she will be POTUS. Your collection will double in value as the mad scramble to buy guns begins. My $0.02

Thanks to all who have given advice on this forum, both in this thread and via PM. I now have a plan, and am proceeding. FWIW, I am separating the guns into groups based on quality and desirability, am contacting two references given to me to appraise the top group, sell the two middle groups, and am giving the 40 or so lower end guns to a local individual who will try to sell them at gun shows. Cleaning sorting and selling will be at least a Winter's project. I think I know how to move forward now.

One thing worth mentioning to others who will someday face this (most of us), is that the "soft" items one collects can be worth as much as the rifles/guns....eg: brass binocs, 100 year old cans of powder, unopened box of 45-120 cartridges, to name a few. So I may come out better than first expected, and I had given no thought to this stuff initially.

And lastly....the first consultant that I talked with told me that my most profitable sale....not the highest price mind you, just the biggest difference between purchase and sale price will likely be my 1911 Remington-Rand .45 ACP, still packed in cosmoline..........purchased from the DCM for 7 bucks. Hindsite is hell...................again....thanks....................FWB

Outstanding! Glad you have a plan, and if you can, maybe give us a crack at what you have.

Thanks to all who have given advice on this forum, both in this thread and via PM. I now have a plan, and am proceeding. FWIW, I am separating the guns into groups based on quality and desirability, am contacting two references given to me to appraise the top group, sell the two middle groups, and am giving the 40 or so lower end guns to a local individual who will try to sell them at gun shows. Cleaning sorting and selling will be at least a Winter's project. I think I know how to move forward now.

One thing worth mentioning to others who will someday face this (most of us), is that the "soft" items one collects can be worth as much as the rifles/guns....eg: brass binocs, 100 year old cans of powder, unopened box of 45-120 cartridges, to name a few. So I may come out better than first expected, and I had given no thought to this stuff initially.

And lastly....the first consultant that I talked with told me that my most profitable sale....not the highest price mind you, just the biggest difference between purchase and sale price will likely be my 1911 Remington-Rand .45 ACP, still packed in cosmoline..........purchased from the DCM for 7 bucks. Hindsite is hell...................again....thanks....................FWB

7 bucks? man talk about return on investment you can't buy grips for 7 bucks today

As a dealer, we love to have used guns for sale to our customers. Usually we buy small lots of guns but for something this large we usually prefer to do this on a consignment basis. Typically, we use the blue book, past GB auctions of comparable guns and our knowledge to come up with a value. When buying, we typically offer 55-65% of what the gun will resell for. Sometimes less if the guns are lower end, sometimes more if it is higher demand gun that will turn quicker. If we do consignment we usually get a 20% commission after expenses. As a dealer, we need to make a profit and offer items to our customers at a fair price. It's important to remember it needs to be a win win win for all parties involved: the seller, the dealer & his customers. If sellers understand this going in & are not expecting to take all the profit it usually works well. Also, sellers often also forget that the guns they are selling for any amount usually cost them anywhere from 10-90% less, depending on when they bought it. Example: a S&W model 19 may have cost the seller $150 when he bought it in 1968 and now be worth $450 (depending on condition) and he would be offered about $300 from a dealer. The seller is still doubling his money, and had the pleasure of owning & shooting it all those years... Therefore, they are making money. Unless it is truly a collector grade, investment grade firearm in pristine condition is is usually worth less than they think, but, they will still make a profit. It's all a matter of understanding and perspective. The dealer is taking a risk in that there may be something he missed or a gun may need service or the demand may not be as great as he perceived; plus he has overhead and a profit to make... Sometimes our customers walk away thinking we are trying to fleece them, but, most are very happy with the services we provide.... Plus, we assume all ATF responsibility for how the guns are disposed of. I hope this help... fell free to PM me if you need any further advice.... I always am telling my staff, we don't sell guns, we sell service!

Also, submitting the guns clean is a BIG plus.... If we have to clean the guns, it takes a big chunk off what we offer & tells us the seller may not have cared well for his guns....

Several folks chewed my behind for selling a bunch of guns, getting free advice, and not listing ANY of them here. So.... as soon as I can re-learn how to post fotos , I am going to list an even dozen here, from the cheapest I have to some of the best. ................everybody likes a fire sale. Once again........thanks for the help.... FWB

I'm sure there will be lots of guys chomping at the bit waiting for that post Bill!

best of luck,at 77 i imagine ill be facing that problem someday,or my wife will.

Gunbroker is the best way to move stuff as thousands will see it increasing your sale options. The fees are not bad and you can ship the long guns yourself thru the US mail or UPS but I prefer the USPS, I do it all the time, and no FFL required. As a seller, you wont have to pay any FFL fees that way. Handguns are different of course. I take mine to a dealer to ship after selling on GB. They charge me $25 for the transfer. Waiting until after the election may drive your prices up some, hard to tell. Were it me, I would NOT get an FFL, then you are at the mercy of the ATF, not where I would want to be. They can swoop in, go thru your stuff, open your books and if they find anything at all out of order it can get sticky. You don't want to be involved with the fed on guns, just my opinion, not looking for an argument. Besides you probably couldn't get an FFL anyway just to sell your gun collection. Oddly enough when you get an FFL the ATF expects you to be in business, not just buy and sell a few guns for yourself. Best of luck selling guns, its kind of a hobby with me.

I am sure there a bunch of AH crackheads wanting to see your guns!!!! #guilty. I am sure there are a few that would peak my interest

Oh my gosh! I would love to see a list of your collection. My dad and I collect WW II and previous militaria. Your 1911 Remington-Rand .45 ACP, still packed in cosmoline sounds like a dream come true!

If you put these up online, could we please have a link?

Thanks,

Kento

Hope the cleaning and sorting is going well

You might give some thought to separating your collection into groups. "African" calibers, doubles if available could be listed on AH. Deer / elk calibers could be put on Gunbroker in small groups. Pre 64 Winchesters should be listed separately. Do you live anywhere near one of the up-coming SCI conventions. Do you belong to a local Sportsmen's Club where you might list what you have for sale. I used to belong to such a club where one of the guys purchased entire collections from widows etc. he had little to no overhead so he could offer the "seller" a reasonable price, make a "few" bucks and offer the buyer an opportunity to save a few bucks as well. It was a "win - win" all the way around.

Good Luck

Best of luck with this Bill. I can only say how I would (and did) it. Pick a say lot of 10 of the least desirable/least value and sell them off first. I'd continue in increments so that I would not live with any regrets from being hasty. Few things turn out better done in a hurry, and remember, too many guns is a very blessed problem. Consider yourself lucky, not at chore.

@flatwater bill, I know this is an old post, but what did you end up doing?

Several folks chewed my behind for selling a bunch of guns, getting free advice, and not listing ANY of them here. So.... as soon as I can re-learn how to post fotos , I am going to list an even dozen here, from the cheapest I have to some of the best. ................everybody likes a fire sale. Once again........thanks for the help.... FWB
@flatwater bill
Just PM @TOBY458 he will take the lot. The way he buys and sells that would be a little job for him
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois