Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA endowment member/Life member
Hunted
All 6 Continents
I plan to sell my guns over the next year. Any advice on how to go about it?

I bought my first firearm 55 years ago, a Savage model 64 O/U .22/20ga. Bought another gun when I could or when I thought I needed it. The numbers grew and grew. Probably about 125 guns now. It isn't a collection in the classical sense........like ALL Colts or ALL Winchesters. Just useful, middle of the road guns. Naturally, there is the odd Parker A1 Special in 28 ga, Fox-Sterlingworth X Grade, Ithaca Dollar Grade, and a few Greener Breech loading elephant guns. But most are just your average hunting guns.

How do I sell them? Too many to list here or on Gunbroker. Can't sell them on Ebay. Can't sell them locally...............don't want a bunch of crack-heads beating on my door wanting cheap handguns. I doubt that a high-end site like James Julia would want them..........maybe a few, but not Rugers, Winchesters and Remingtons. Appreciate ideas..........gun shows? Auction sites?

(And no, I really don't have any X grades, but I did see one once)

Thanks...........................................Flatwater Bill

Appreciate any advice on how to sell the lot. Especially from someone with experience in this area.

FWB, I know we discussed you selling your gun collection on safari. Wish you all the best in getting them sold.

and a few Greener Breech loading elephant guns...................???

FB, there are many shops/dealers nation wide that will come to you, examine the guns, and make you a single offer. This is a single check to you and it's up to them to sell the guns to different customers they already may have for different types of rifles and shot guns. This all starts with a single phone call. But you are not as likely to receive as much money for them with this method.

Argh, right after I go and buy a whole mess of guns, I see something like this. OK, so it was only 7, not 125 but it isn't so easy to build a collection of guns here in California.

Just checked Guns International for W W Greener large caliber rifles and they are pretty pricey! You might consider pulling those out for an auction house. As always, it depends on the models you have.

As @sierraone said. You can also look at auction houses. They will often buy or auction on your behalf a collection in bulk- but again- you won't make much money off them.

I'd recommend individually listing any higher-end rifles, historical, etc. And then try to sell the rest en mass to a gun store or auction house or something like that.

Got any doubles? I'm always in the market for an affordable double...

As rinehart says about doubles, in rifles or shotguns, you can probably sell those to AH members if you want to deal with using your local FFL holder to send them.

if you want to deal with using your local FFL holder to send them

Which is usually pretty easy. Most of the ones in my area would maybe charge you between $15-30 per rifle to be shipped. Just roll it into the price of the rifle.

I would love to get a double. I went into quite a few local gun shops and the largest guns I can find in stock here are .308 or .30-06 singles. I have never even actually seen a double in person.

Quite the dilemma, best of luck.

My very close uncle had a mixed collection of 250+ handguns and long guns. About 3/4 were ruger Handguns and the rest a mixed lifetime collection. When he passed a year ago the family contacted a local auction house. They had a combination onsite and online auction. They had to pay for some advertising, but it was worth it. It made a large financial difference in this case. People came from hundreds of miles away to bid, in addition to some internet bidders. It's all in the advertising. I'll echo the sentiments of others here... If there are big bores or doubles, please get us a list so we can start saving now :) Best of luck!

Since you have time (a year), I say put 5 or so on sale on Gunbroker or Guns International (I know you don't want to do that), but i think it will be easy to do. As you sell them, you list another batch, and so on. Otherwise, the suggestions about someone coming to your house to examine what you have might be the other solution. I also believe that you'll probably be given a low ball price since the dealer has to make money. Gun shows will be a PIA, because you have to set up a table with all your firearms, and you have to carry them from point A to point B, and back.

There are lots of dealers out there that will give you a valuation. They like to buy entire collections for "stock items". But they have to turn a profit at the end of the day, so will likely offer you .50-.70 cents on the dollar. It's a way to go if you don't want the time hassle of selling them yourself.

There are lots of dealers out there that will give you a valuation. They like to buy entire collections for "stock items". But they have to turn a profit at the end of the day, so will likely offer you .50-.70 cents on the dollar. It's a way to go if you don't want the time hassle of selling them yourself.
Mekaniks is exactly correct. It is very difficult to realize retail value for a gun unless you are selling to the ultimate user. Obviously, for a large collection, that can take years (lots of them). I would suggest dividing things into two groups. One set are weapons which any auction house would be glad to have. The last that I would suggest is Rock Island - they are getting rich on buyer and seller premiums. And unless you have one of Hemingway's or Selous's rifles tucked away, that premium can turn a great price into a wholesale return on your investment. There are a number of middle level auction houses who are far less predatory, and yet achieve really good prices for good guns. This is one here in Texas http://www.asauctions.com/ . I am sure there are many others. For the remainder - the well used production Savages, Remingtons, etc. - find a single buyer who will take them off your hands. You'll get 50 - 70 cents of current value, but depending upon when you obtained them, that might not be so bad. And you may find that the middle level auction house would be thrilled to fill out the auction with the more utilitarian group.

Flatwater bill, would it be possible to post pictures ??????

Would be nice to have a list of what you have. I (and some others) might be interested in some of the shotguns and maybe some rifles. The unsold balance you might be able to consign with a gun show seller, you won't get top dollar but your want get totally screwed either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!