Sellier & Bellot 285gr 9.3mm Bullets

KiwiHunter

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
NZDA
Has anyone here got experience using S&B 285gr 9.3 bullet in 9.3x74r double?

No sorry im just trying to get some in the UK for the x62 and x74 I've heard mixed results on them so was looking to just use them for practice myself

I haven't tried the S&B but I have used the Prvi 286gr in my 9.3x62. Worked well on a red stag. I would imagine they will be fine on NZ game and as a practice round.

I have used their standard soft point "cutting edge" bullets in 7mm and 8mm, but not in 9.3. If their 9.3 bullets are built the same, with a thin steel jacket plated with copper, I'd suggest that you use them on medium size game but nothing really big or tough. Red deer would be about maximum size game i'd consider. The reason is that I found the bullets would shed their cores and behave somewhat erratically if much bone is hit. A shot through the ribs of course is not a problem. The standard S&B soft point is serviceable, but certainly not a premium bullet. Some of their ammunition has been loaded with better quality bullets, such as Nosler Partitions, which of course are excellent.

I haven't tried the S&B but I have used the Prvi 286gr in my 9.3x62. Worked well on a red stag. I would imagine they will be fine on NZ game and as a practice round.
Stug - G'works have run out of Privi now have S&B, hence the question or wait for next consignment of Privi

Now might be a good time to get into reloading. It costs a little bit to get started, but if you shoot very often the money you paid for the reloading tools and supplies is soon recovered by the cost savings achieved through reloading. Besides that there is a lot of pleasure derived from knowing you harvested game with ammo of your own making. Apart from components are generally available, even when ammo is not.

I used cartridges from S&B.
I thing this is very bad ammunition.
My proposition : cartridges 9,3x62 or 9,3x74R from NORMA with bullet SP, RWS with bullet SP and UNI CLASSIC and HORNADY with Inter Lock SP
Witold

Now might be a good time to get into reloading. It costs a little bit to get started, but if you shoot very often the money you paid for the reloading tools and supplies is soon recovered by the cost savings achieved through reloading. Besides that there is a lot of pleasure derived from knowing you harvested game with ammo of your own making. Apart from components are generally available, even when ammo is not.
Shootist - I agree with you on benefits of reloading and have been a reloader for over 40 years.

I used cartridges from S&B.
I thing this is very bad ammunition.
My proposition : cartridges 9,3x62 or 9,3x74R from NORMA with bullet SP, RWS with bullet SP and UNI CLASSIC and HORNADY with Inter Lock SP
Witold
Witold - Thanks for your feedback, I may just stick with Norma Oryx as that is regulating well.

Interesting info guys as ever thanks I was looking at getting the SnB bullet heads just for using for the running deer/boar comps I shoot over here but thought they would do for roe ECT at a push

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg