Second double rifle

49cub

AH member
Reaction score
So I finally broke down last year and purchased a Blaser S2 in 500 NE. And I absolutely love it.

I've been looking every since for another rifle. Not quite ready to drop enough to get another 470 or 500 but have been eyeing some 9.3x74R. I've recently been looking at the Chapuis C12 and the V-C Sagittaire. Now I've seen a 450-400 Sabatti. I've read some horror stories about them, but, for the price I'm considering taking a chance on one.

So that brings me to my questions. Anyone have any experience with the O/U in Chapuis or VC? Just looking for some unbiased opinions. Mostly shooting here in the US and hunting hogs, deer and elk.

Thanks for any feedback. Have a great Thanksgiving.

Panielsen

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, NRA, SCI
Hunted
United States, Limpopo South Africa
I too recently looked at a Sabatti in .500 N.E..... Yes I am tempted, but like you have read horror stories. Still on the fence, and will be till into December as I leave for my Buff hunt a week from today. Nerves are starting to build, and have triple checked both rifles almost daily. Maybe when I get back!

petrusg

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DCS, PHASA, SA Hunters, Xtreem Archery, Rowland Ward, WRSA
Hunted
South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe
I have a VC 500NE and love it.

I am also in the process of looking at a new O/U and also looking at the VC Sagittaire vs Beretta Silver Pigeon

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Have you considered another set of barrels for your S2? I have .375, 500/416, and 30-06. It is a different rifle with each set. The 'o6 is a particularly lively PG rifle, and I would suspect the 9.3x74 would have similar dynamics.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Unless you can see regulation documentation stay away from Sabatti. Look at the crown of the barrel and if it looks the least bit miss shaped walk the other way.
That being said I think Edward has one that shoots very well.

Buff-Buster

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Website
www.mashambanzousafaris.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Houston Safari Club, Gulf Coast SCI, SCI International. Rowland Ward, NRA, RMEF, North American Hunting Club - Life Member, Texas Trophy Hunters
Hunted
Mozambique, South Africa, (Kwa-Zulu Natal, Free State & East Cape), Zimbabwe (Charisa & West Nicholson), U.S.(Texas, New Mexico, LA, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Wyoming & Montana), Canada (Alberta & Saskatchewan) & Argentina (Cordoba)
Unless you can see regulation documentation stay away from Sabatti. Look at the crown of the barrel and if it looks the least bit miss shaped walk the other way.
That being said I think Edward has one that shoots very well.
Mine shoots very well too Charlie. No problems at all with my .470NE.

AZDAVE

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
A second double is always good:love: It is the third and fourth one that gets you in trouble with the wife. Love my 9.3 Chapuis. Working on a trade for a VC 450/400 OU so will give you and eval after I get it and have a little time at the range and reloading bench. I also am one of the guys that has a sabatti that shoots (450NE). Enjoy your time making a selection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cdn_shooter

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.