Season's greetings offered and info asked for

Earle

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Orillia gun Club, Bancroft Fish and Game Club
First off, hope everyone had a good x-mas and has an even better new year. Shouldn't be to difficult if this bloody virus ever ends.
My one, and only x-mas gift is a new M-70 super grade in 338wm. Should be here by new years. (I'm hoping) My question regards suitable rings/bases. The scope will be a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36. The reason i seek opinions is because Ontario is now on 100% lock down. On-line purchasing only. If i make the wrong choice it will be a hassle.
I am leaning toward steel bases and rings because weight is not a concern. It's a 338. Really hoping this is the rifle to make the first trip to Africa with me in 2022. We'll see. Thanks

Lots of choices but it would be hard to go wrong using Leupold bases and rings. They are well finished and should match the finish on your rifle and scope (if it’s not matte finished).

Yes, leupold is probably what i'll go with, but i was hoping for some input on two piece bases vs one piece and ring size. Low or med? Hoping someone has mounted the same scope on a m70 and can give me an idea. Don't want rings that are going to interfere with the bolt, but still be as low as possible.

If youre looking at Leupold "STD" bases and rings, low's should work fine with a leupold VX3 2.5-8x36...

Ive got a M70 with Leupold STD bases and rings (low), and have a 3-10x optic with a 42mm objective bell and I had enough clearance to make it work..

With a 36mm bell you should have no problem at all..

I generally purchase Warne Steel rings, and Warne bases but I'm not sure if the bases are steel. I think they are. Warne says you can use their low mount rings for objective lenses up to 42mm. However, I generally go with their Med. Ht. rings.

Recommend the low rings also.

Granted, you're not likely taking 300+ yd shots out of a 2.5-8 where a poor cheek weld might be an issue, but the low rings make it easier to get a nice cheek weld. Your pupil is the rear sight, and every time you lay your face down, your pupil should be exactly centered on the cross hairs. If you're off in any direction (even if there's no scope shadow), it will throw your long shots. Inside 200 yards, it doesn't matter a whole lot, tho.

Don’t know if this will help but here is my Sako in .338 with a VX3i 2.5x8 in Leupold low ring mounts. It has plenty of room for the bell but is tight at the objective. It has plenty of eye relief and a long enough straight section in the scope to work ok on a long action with a two piece mount. Leupold offers the mounts with a reversible front mount so you could reverse the front mount and let it hang a little over the front of the ejection port if needed. I like the two piece mounts because they won’t interfere with loading.

F1264D01-D1BA-43BC-905F-19E27933781B.jpeg

Thanks for the informative replies. Ring height was my main concern. I have a drawer full of new rings that turned out to be to high/low for their intended purpose and don't want to add to the collection.

Go to Leupolds Web sight and they have a base& mount selector section. I would recommend the Dual Dovetail rings. Perfect scope for that rifle. And 8X is more than enough for a 400yd shot. Remember you are only trying to put the bullet in an 8 inch square.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you