Searcy 470 Sidelock For Sale

Chris Sells

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
One owner rifle, 470 Sidelock, 24" bbls, 14.5" LOP. There are a couple of minor marks on the finish of the stock, but no cuts or gouges.

On the forend, there are a few deeper marks that look like they were made from a set of shooting sticks. They could be steamed/sanded/blended out.

Fully engraved. I think current replacement cost is around $30K. We need $12,500 for this one + Shipping + 8.25% Sales Tax in Texas.

searcy_engraving1.jpg
searcy_forend1.jpg
searcy_left1.jpg
searcy_right1.jpg
searcy_top1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats a great deal - I'm having to decide between this and my next hunt..

I would not touch a Searcy with a 20 foot pole. If oll Butch kicks the bucket you sre poked for repairs and service

And after Butch’s tirade, here a few years ago, I would not touch one with a 120 foot pole.

Good luck with your sale.

Despite Butch's issue here on AH, I can tell you that some fairly distinguished outfitters/PHs carry his rifles and swear by them. Butch has a group of friends, outfitters, PHs and hunters that are loyal to him and he is loyal back to them. Perhaps a bit of a clique or "old school" people and customers that he took great care of with mutual respect on both sides is what I have heard. Sometimes it's all in the approach and how things are handled. This is just what I have heard. I'm not in that group and I have never owned one of his rifles or any double rifle for that matter.

Someone got sideways with Butch and a pi$$ing match commenced. It takes two to tango.
I had nothing but very good interactions with Butch, pleasant conversation and good prompt service. My Searcy .470 NE worked wonderfully and a 42 inch hard boss bull is on his last leg of the trip to Alaska.

Nice double at a fair price. Good luck with your sale Chris!

Thats a nice double at a decent price, if I had not already bought my DB I would have taken a serious look.

There are plenty of modern factory doubles to choose from where you would never have to worry about support or warranty. Chapuis, Heym, Kreighoff to name a few.

If I were in the market for a 470, I would buy this one in a heartbeat at $11k.

I am pretty sure you can find a competent double man to work on it, if Butch is not available.

It isn't as if his rifles are a puzzle others cannot understand?

All the normal caveats apply....have it checked out by someone (JJP).

That is A LOT of double rifle for $11K. Not likely to find anything comparable for anywhere close to that price.

I have a gun room with many SxS shotguns and a few rifles, the majority of which were built before WWII - several before WWI. I use them all extensively. The notion that one should worry about an exiting company or production line to deal with issues is to me the least important thing in evaluating a SxS shotgun or rifle that I might purchase (personally, it is not a consideration at all). There are several competent double experts in this country that can handle any issue with any double gun.

This is a rare rifle because it is a true sidelock. As @Scott CWO correctly notes, the vast majority of Searcy's clients are very happy with their rifles. I would suggest that you would spend a long time searching for another true sidelock of this quality and condition at this price.

If I had a spare $11k I'd be on it like a chicken on a mouse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpstracking

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg