Searching Ruger No.1 Blued 458 Lott

Haha I'm not tough, just dumb and enjoy a little recoil

Your profile says "Male, age 26". Come see me when you're in your 40s and still have your Lott. I'll give you a bottle of bourbon and a 500ct pack of Aleve! :)

I had an exhibition grade, prolifically engraved custom one for about 4.3 seconds.

What I learned through the process is that while a .458 Lott with a 500gr bullet at 2150fps is only 71 pounds of recoil in a 10lb gun, in a Ruger #1 with iron sights its roughly 4 trillion pounds of recoil (it can be measured from the orbital space station...in a galaxy far far away they attribute the recoil to a disturbance in the force) . With a scope on the ruger #1 it pushes out a delightful 85lbs of felt recoil to make uncle Roy Weatherby proud.

Enjoy shooting. (I recommend buying Kynoch ammo...it comes in 5 packs, more than you'll ever need to have the full experience I had!)

(Sarcasm was free today...hopefully for comedic effect...all the above was absolutely true!)

Yeah! Well, as an enthusiast in "Big Bore & Big Recoil" … I'm kinda of an oddball, that is, in looking for Profound Felt Recoil! The Ruger No.1 is Definitive in its Classic Look … Particularly with their Heavy Barrel "Tropicals" … my personal fav imo.

I still can't figure how to post pics here??? … as Gary Reeder sent some of his work for a conversion in 500 NE & 505 Gibbs. They are exquisite indeed, but it kinda takes away from the Traditional Look of the No. 1.

I was at a Jay's Sporting Good's in MI this summer. They had a glass Case with 4 No.1's in 375/404/416Rigby/& 458 win mag. … As it's been the 1st time I've seen them in 2 decades I was sold, however, the Owner was not. Kept for their serial #s … He wouldn't take my offer of $3500.00 for the Rigby?

That's it!
Ruger-No-1-Tropical-Model-458-Lott-New_100852077_71328_0D87FAF45DF57D18.jpg

Gary's Conversions can accommodate as far as you want … Not a particular fan of Big Five Engraving on Receivers? just my opinion
#1-7.jpg
378-12.jpg

Hello I have searched, along with a Reputable Dealer "Vigilantly" for a Ruger No 1 "Blued in 458 Lott". I've come across a few that have been extremely worked over, engraving, etc. I'd prefer, if ever, one to be close to stock as possible, nor does it have to be Pristine. It's been a Rare search. I'm Extremely Motivated & Price is not a concern if ever one cares to part with one! Thank You. Respectfully, Dan Cary. Example pic?

View attachment 311202
There is a very nice one for sale at B&W Pawnshop in Conroe, Texas it has a Vari-x 1 4-12 on it. Asking 999.00 . I’m sure they will ship it 936-760-3004 Bobby or Wade can help you tell them Ken sent you

Cabela's in Bristol, Virginia has (or had) one in as of Tuesday or Wednesday, (Dec 17 or 18), when I was up there. Used (as it's he barrel had not been cleaned), looked like it was new, they were asking $1040.00.

Cabela's in Bristol, Virginia has (or had) one in as of Tuesday or Wednesday, (Dec 17 or 18), when I was up there. Used (as it's he barrel had not been cleaned), looked like it was new, they were asking $1040.00.

Edit for correction:

It's not a .458 Lott....

The Cabela's in Bristol, Virginia has a .458 Win Mag in the Ruger #1.

I will offer this bit as I consider it important when talking about the No.1 in .458 Lott.
I have seen and closely inspected 2 of these Ruger Tropical rifles in .458 and found this issue.

It has to do with the poor factory fitment in the stock to action area. Because of the design, attention to detail in manufacture, etc. the contact and recoil force is not evenly distributed. One side, top or bottom of the wood stock takes the brunt of the recoil. The stock needs to be checked that this has not already caused damage in that area.

That is one reason that I had this area addressed and insured that it was evenly bedded by Chris Griesbach; the results were very good may I add.

I think that there is good value in the Ruger No.1 in .458 Lott. Hand fitment is, in my opinion, too much to ask for for the price of this rifle.

On the subject of recoil, I and others that have shot my No.1 Lott have similar opinion. It feels "just right" when using a .458 Win. Mag load. When a .458 Lott is shot there is felt recoil that seems a little "out of its ideal or optimal".

Personally, if I was in the market for a No. 1 in .458 Lott I'd find an older one in .458 Win. Mag. and run a reamer down the chamber. The older ones (some of them anyway) seem to have been more well made and reaming the chamber to .458 Lott is about as easy as it gets.

Personally, if I was in the market for a No. 1 in .458 Lott I'd find an older one in .458 Win. Mag. and run a reamer down the chamber. The older ones (some of them anyway) seem to have been more well made and reaming the chamber to .458 Lott is about as easy as it gets.

That is a concern, as the member above made a valid point regarding Recoil forces in a Stock No.1 I've seen so many variations in wood when these were readily available. Some literally awful, where I could imagine how much can this take before the integrity fails. … I have Looked at what is available in 458 Win Mag. … I wouldn't know where to start, in the interest of Reaming it to Accommodate the Lott. … Addl: As you mentioned the older Tropicals seemed to be sturdy, can you recommend an apx Era???

Thank You, all!
Regards, Dan.

It must be taken on a case by case basis. Some have wonderful wood, others marginal wood, no one period necessarily better in that regard. As for barrels, later rifles are said to have better barrels but in the case of a .458 it is academic as we're not looking for MOA accuracy. The main point is that there are quite a few No. 1 rifles in .458 Win Mag on the used market (most of which have seen little use) so finding one with the attributes sought will prove relatively easy. As for reamers, they may be rented at a very reasonable rate (please, however, if you are not qualified have a professional do the work).

It must be taken on a case by case basis. Some have wonderful wood, others marginal wood, no one period necessarily better in that regard. As for barrels, later rifles are said to have better barrels but in the case of a .458 it is academic as we're not looking for MOA accuracy. The main point is that there are quite a few No. 1 rifles in .458 Win Mag on the used market (most of which have seen little use) so finding one with the attributes sought will prove relatively easy. As for reamers, they may be rented at a very reasonable rate (please, however, if you are not qualified have a professional do the work).

Well said, Thank You! A No.1 in any of The Tropicals, "458 Win" preferred at best would still be of Interest. It's a timepiece regardless, imo for is traditional look, with their Heavy barrel's , barrel band, sights, etc. … Certainly a professional would be needed to accommodate the Lott. I have found a couple during the search, Cabela's , online, etc... Thank You, as that's an open minded idea. … I'm sure the Win Mag is enough Gun as it is in that Firearm.

I haven't read through the post but have you looked at Gunbroker? There are some on it now.

I shoot the Lott, however, the Win Mag accommod
I haven't read through the post but have you looked at Gunbroker? There are some on it now.

Never having purchased firearms online … Are they all much the same, reliable, predictable? I guess more so, are you aware of any to Stay Away From?

Cabela's has an Advantage however, If a firearm is found from a distant location … you pay $25 to ship it to your nearest location, and there is no obligation to purchase it, if it's not in the best Interest!

I shoot the Lott, however, the Win Mag accommod

Never having purchased firearms online … Are they all much the same, reliable, predictable? I guess more so, are you aware of any to Stay Away From?
I have never purchased one on line either but Gunbroker has a fairly good reputation, but they are not the seller just a avenue for a seller to get their product out to people and they are a lot like Ebay.

Quite a few of the sellers have physical stores or a good on line presence and have ratings along with feed back. But like buying anything on line you need to be aware of what you are getting.

My last three purchases were online (gunbroker.com and gunsinternational.com). Research the seller, of course, but I've always found them to be reliable and trustworthy. Some also offer a 3-day inspection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg