Searching Ruger No.1 Blued 458 Lott

Daniel Cary

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hello I have searched, along with a Reputable Dealer "Vigilantly" for a Ruger No 1 "Blued in 458 Lott". I've come across a few that have been extremely worked over, engraving, etc. I'd prefer, if ever, one to be close to stock as possible, nor does it have to be Pristine. It's been a Rare search. I'm Extremely Motivated & Price is not a concern if ever one cares to part with one! Thank You. Respectfully, Dan Cary. Example pic?

Ruger-No-1-Tropical-Model-458-Lott-New_100852077_71328_0D87FAF45DF57D18.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello I have searched, along with a Reputable Dealer "Vigilantly" for a Ruger No 1 "Blued in 458 Lott". I've come across a few that have been extremely worked over, engraving, etc. I'd prefer, if ever, one to be close to stock as possible, nor does it have to be Pristine. It's been a Rare search. I'm Extremely Motivated & Price is not a concern if ever one cares to part with one! Thank You. Respectfully, Dan Cary. Example pic?

View attachment 311202

sold mine about six months ago to a fellow AH member! He might be tired of it by now and be willing to part with it. I’ll send him a PM!

the Cabela's in Tulalip WA had one for a while, not sure if they still do.

i handled the one in Tulalip and decided i wouldnt shoot it with someone elses shoulder let alone mine! ill stick with 600 NE and 4 bore guns, they are easier on the body.

-matt

Cabela’s currently has two #1 blued in 458 Win Mag but no Lott.

This is more correspondence I've received in 6 Months, respectively. Thank You Foremost
Classicsporting arms found an individual that had one, unfortunately it was beat, noted a dented barrel.
I'll try Tulalip asap, Thank You!

sold mine about six months ago to a fellow AH member! He might be tired of it by now and be willing to part with it. I’ll send him a PM!
Thank You !!!

Hello,

I viewed your message regards your wanting to own a No.1 in 458 Lott.
I am in Alberta Canada; even though that is not an impossible hurdle is is an encumbrance to be sure.

I have what you are after; A near pristine example of the rifle you are searching for.

All the best,
JMD

Hello, I don't have one in Lott, but in 458 Win Mag. That is a pretty easy chambering to Lott. Since COL is not much of a concern in a single shot, I get a honest 2200 fps with a 500 gr bullet with my load. The rifle has nice wood, a wonderful trigger and a magna port which makes it very easy to shoot well. I have a 30mm scope on it at present. It has two Cape Buffalo to it's claim at present. It is still in excellent condition. Please let me know if you would like more info. Thanks Patrick

There’s one on Gun Broker right now for $850? Looks like new, ad says 99 percent.

View attachment 311202
Damn, i wish i had seen this a year ago before i started converting mine to 500 niteo

Damn, i wish i had seen this a year ago before i started converting mine to 500 niteo

I haven't viewed this page, as I sustained an injury "off work medical" Nov. … I didn't realize these comments were here, as the house has turned into a virtual office of a bureaucratic red tape nightmare & appts respectively! … Lord help!

Thank You all Foremost! … JMD did take the fortitude to contact pm, and was very gracious overall, before this set back. And hope to talk again, pending this diagnosis.

A No1 in 500 Nitro 3" … if you ever find yourself disinterested,= Feel free to let me know. I had considered Gary Reeder to due a Conversion. However, just thinking here … do you recommend a reputable preferred Gunsmith for No1 Conversions? I know theres a few …

Thank You, Dan

Hello, I don't have one in Lott, but in 458 Win Mag. That is a pretty easy chambering to Lott. Since COL is not much of a concern in a single shot, I get a honest 2200 fps with a 500 gr bullet with my load. The rifle has nice wood, a wonderful trigger and a magna port which makes it very easy to shoot well. I have a 30mm scope on it at present. It has two Cape Buffalo to it's claim at present. It is still in excellent condition. Please let me know if you would like more info. Thanks Patrick

Thank You for your consideration, as that may be an option, not realizing it wouldn't take much work to bore the Lott. … I'm at a stand still right now, however, I'll definitely keep this in mind

Regards, Dan

Thank You for your consideration, as that may be an option, not realizing it wouldn't take much work to bore the Lott. … I'm at a stand still right now, however, I'll definitely keep this in mind

Regards, Dan
John mcglaughlin in Montana is pretty good, i have a local smith doing mine. If i did it over id probably have went with mcglaughlin. Local guy is 77 and moves pretty slow and has a big back log, but does awesome work from what ive heard. He's never done the 500ne 3" conversion before though

I had an exhibition grade, prolifically engraved custom one for about 4.3 seconds.

What I learned through the process is that while a .458 Lott with a 500gr bullet at 2150fps is only 71 pounds of recoil in a 10lb gun, in a Ruger #1 with iron sights its roughly 4 trillion pounds of recoil (it can be measured from the orbital space station...in a galaxy far far away they attribute the recoil to a disturbance in the force) . With a scope on the ruger #1 it pushes out a delightful 85lbs of felt recoil to make uncle Roy Weatherby proud.

Enjoy shooting. (I recommend buying Kynoch ammo...it comes in 5 packs, more than you'll ever need to have the full experience I had!)

(Sarcasm was free today...hopefully for comedic effect...all the above was absolutely true!)

I had an exhibition grade, prolifically engraved custom one for about 4.3 seconds.

What I learned through the process is that while a .458 Lott with a 500gr bullet at 2150fps is only 71 pounds of recoil in a 10lb gun, in a Ruger #1 with iron sights its roughly 4 trillion pounds of recoil (it can be measured from the orbital space station...in a galaxy far far away they attribute the recoil to a disturbance in the force) . With a scope on the ruger #1 it pushes out a delightful 85lbs of felt recoil to make uncle Roy Weatherby proud.

Enjoy shooting. (I recommend buying Kynoch ammo...it comes in 5 packs, more than you'll ever need to have the full experience I had!)

(Sarcasm was free today...hopefully for comedic effect...all the above was absolutely true!)
Its not that bad!

Its not that bad!

I try to avoid buying guns where the salesman says "don't worry, the recoil is not that bad". :)

I really liked owning the gun I had, I just didn't want to shoot it...ever...ever...ever. I think my math said the recoil was 85-89lbs of felt recoil on the #1 with a scope.

My .470NE Double is about 67lbs of recoil and the stock fits better, that's as far as I go down the misery trail.

*Disclaimer: All comedic statements are my own and do not suggest your recoil tolerances are going to be similar to mine.

**Further disclaimer: On the other hand, I'm nearly 7' and over 300lbs...if you're contemplating this gun and you're 5'6" and 165lbs...you're going to likely die when you fire the Ruger #1 in .458 Lott!

Contrary to popular opinion, smaller and lighter people take less of a beating from the big bores as they're better suited to roll with it (their mass offering less resistance...they may, however, get knocked off balance a bit!).

I try to avoid buying guns where the salesman says "don't worry, the recoil is not that bad". :)

I really liked owning the gun I had, I just didn't want to shoot it...ever...ever...ever. I think my math said the recoil was 85-89lbs of felt recoil on the #1 with a scope.

My .470NE Double is about 67lbs of recoil and the stock fits better, that's as far as I go down the misery trail.

*Disclaimer: All comedic statements are my own and do not suggest your recoil tolerances are going to be similar to mine.

**Further disclaimer: On the other hand, I'm nearly 7' and over 300lbs...if you're contemplating this gun and you're 5'6" and 165lbs...you're going to likely die when you fire the Ruger #1 in .458 Lott!
I was sitting around 5'10" and 220lbs last time i fired mine, was fun to shoot and i hunted with it a bit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg