Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.zanabotessafari.com
Deals & offers
Media
Member of
NAPHA, SCI, DSC
Spotted this Scrum Cap buffalo today. For me they are just special. What is your opinion?
50FCC61E-5CF4-4882-B5F4-77F8F57568FF.jpeg

Nice bull.
Nice trophy for someone who likes them.

They have a solid place on my Buffalo bucket list. He’d make hell of a prop (rugby not movie).

I’ll take an old scrum cap, what a trophy!

Does that always mean they are old bulls? Or is it possible they sometimes just break their horns and become this way?
I believe it's one factor in determining age. Looking for things like hair slip, scrum cap/remaining horn tips being worn smooth, damage to the ears, weight loss and overall health of the animal. Also, if the bull has been kicked out of the herd and is in a group of all old Dugga Boys. Lastly, once the bull is harvested, looking at the palate to see how worn it is.

Hard to tell from just one picture, but being a scrum cap would make me look that much closer. I do really hope for the opportunity to hunt a scrum cap next year. An old, past his prime, worn down warrior bull is my idea of a real trophy. And I don't give a crap about the measurements.

I'll pass. I like old beat up dugga boys with broken worn down horn tips, scarred up faces and bodies. But he's gotta have some curl in the horns.

Maybe I'd shoot him as some sort of cull hunt but its not quite my idea of a classic cape buffalo. I'd have to pass and look for something with some curve to his horns. To each his own though

Maybe if those bosses were worn smooth, then I know he was a very old worthy bull that had lost them over time . But as I see them they're pretty rough so they broke more because he had some weak head gear and he doesn't have quite the cred in my view. So in this case I'd pass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.