Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association of Australia + CRM Gunsports (Cairns)
This was in the Northern Territory just before the wet season started.
Believe me it was hot and very humid - in early November.

IMG_2563.JPG
IMG_2574.JPG
IMG_2567.JPG
IMG_2572.JPG
IMG_2511.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Very Nice! That is a massive animal.

what do you figure the on the hoof weight was?

how many time do you have to touch up the blade to butcher that big guy? Or do you use multiple knives?

Weight I guess would be 800 kgs (1760lbs).
Knife was made by Vin Gruff and (I don’t expect anyone to believe me ) but!!
I didn’t have to sharpen at all and it would still shave hair on my arm!
I have never and I mean never had such a knife like that in my life.
I had a sharp knife I bought a d I could not get it to cut the skin on the bull unless I stuck the pointy end in first! No! I’m not joking!! I could not believe I could t cut through the hide with that knife (which I subsequently gave to my son, Craig).
Hope you read this Von Gruff! I should get a medal for my comments.
I have had a number of knives from VG and have one to my son.
The first 2 I had made were Damascus knives and they’ll never be used.

Great bull sir. What CaliBer did you use to take him!

Great bull sir. What CaliBer did you use to take him!

I used 416 Remington magnum - 400 grain Woodleigh hydro backed by 77 grains of AR2208i think it’s sold in your country as Vargent).
Gave just over 2400 FPS.

One of my hopes is to visit your country someday and see the sites but also to hunt one of these buffs!

I spelt the order wrongly - should be Varget.

Isn’t this amazing. It is 2215 hours where I am and i suspect early morning where you are half a world away and we are chatting in a forum!

Best time is (obviously after the wet season) say late April to early November. Getting around in the wet is something to behold.
We have two types of buffalo. Coastal and inland. Not much difference.
I also suggest you hunt banteng in the far north west. Sort of a creamy legged Asian buffalo. Have a look on the net for photos.

It’s 2:22 pm Saturday here

The thing that surprises most USA hunters here is the size of Australia (slightly bigger than USA contingent states).
To hunt buffalo when you’ve landed at say Sydney is a jet aircraft trip of many hours to Darwin the staging post to go to the buffalo areas.
I’m supposedly being taken out in the NT later on this year by 3 different friends.
One told me of a funny story. Shot buff with a 308 I assume and walked up only to find the buff stood up.he climbed a tree but lost sight of the buff.
Only came down when he heard the great thump when it fell over.
I thought I’d be attending his funeral!!

Thought I would bring my double and take one with that thumper!

Thought I would bring my double and take one with that thumper!

Yes good idea.
Many buff areas are open flood plains (note flood). Many are thick pandanus scrub - very exciting - not for wimps though.

I had a sharp knife I bought a d I could not get it to cut the skin on the bull unless I stuck the pointy end in first! No! I’m not joking!! I could not believe I could t cut through the hide with that knife (which I subsequently gave to my son, Craig).
Thanks for the kind words Ray. I do appreciate getting the feedback on my knives in the field and very pleased it lived (or skinned) up to your expectations.

Thanks for the kind words Ray. I do appreciate getting the feedback on my knives in the field and very pleased it lived (or skinned) up to your expectations.

I expect a medal soon, VG!!
IMG_2595.JPG

And one for Fierce Jess (hog killer).

Medal production has had to take a back seat lately so afraid you will have to make do with the thanks already expressed.

Excellent! I think the medal Von Gruff will get is a new buyer in me! I have multiple boys in my hunting party that are mature enough for their first nice knife.
I personally very much enjoy the process of gutting and skinning, even more so with a good knife. The hard work is a labor of love, I know the many good shared meals that will become of the meat.
As for the Damascus knives: I bet they want to be used too.

How do you prefer to cook an old bull? (I’ve been partial to curry lately, mainly because too much snow here and not as fun to grill)

Congrats sir, thanks for sharing!

Dr. Ray, I’ve had similar experiences with the edge on my VonGruff, but only on our smaller deer so far. I took his advice and got a strop to keep it perfect, works great. Am close to ordering another for the upcoming season. The edge holding has been stunning for me, never seen the like.

Dr. Ray, I’ve had similar experiences with the edge on my VonGruff, but only on our smaller deer so far. I took his advice and got a strop to keep it perfect, works great. Am close to ordering another for the upcoming season. The edge holding has been stunning for me, never seen the like.

I’ve bought 5 so far. Gave one to my son.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!