Scrub Bull Hunt 2023 Which Rifle?

Rifle for scrub bulls?

• Total voters
That's exactly the way I am leaning, if I need to take a longer or tricky shot I will have a 375 right beside me if I need it
@Aussie_Hunter
Just take the 9.3 loaded with 250gn Atomic 29s loaded to full noise. and you have near and far covered.
Bob

But getting slapped around by magnums is good fun!
@Aussie_Hunter
Mate I'm over getting slapped around by big magnums. I fired 3 shots out of 460 Weatherby a long time ago that was enough.
The mates 378 Weatherby loaded to full throttle with 225 grainers for pigs is definitely overkill and really gets your attention.
Nowdays getting slapped around by the missus for smuggling a new toy home without telling her is enough. That's why I tell her first (after I buy it of course). Less slaps.
Bob

Has to be nr.1 I dont like Rugers.......

Has to be nr.1 I dont like Rugers.......
@IvW
Nothing wrong with rugers unless it's the Ruger American. That is just a piece of garbage. I've seen the bolt handle break off 2 of them in less than 5 shots. Actually one broke chambering the very first round. It was a 243. Maybe it was trying to tell the bloke the 243s are rubbish and to get a 25.
Bob

@Aussie_Hunter
No joke mate
View attachment 500856
But I may back it off a millipoofteenth
View attachment 500857
Or even the 275 Woodleigh PPSP would do the job at not quite full throttle
View attachment 500858
They will go another 100 plus fps quicker but the recoil starts to get very noticeable
Bob, I've often shaved a Micky hair of something, ground a poofteenth off something or said 3/8 of F@#k All isn't worth worrying about, but adjusting a load by a Milli-Poofteenth. Not worth the effort unless you have great scales.
Speaking of scales I'm at odds with the scales ATM,

Bob, I've often shaved a Micky hair of something, ground a poofteenth off something or said 3/8 of F@#k All isn't worth worrying about, but adjusting a load by a Milli-Poofteenth. Not worth the effort unless you have great scales.
Speaking of scales I'm at odds with the scales ATM,
@CBH Australia
A millipoofteenth is a smidge smaller than three fifths of five eights of f@#k all but worth the effort to get things spot on.
How are you at odds with sc a Les at the moment. You need a good balance beam scale or electric scale to weigh powder not a fish scale.
Bob

Bob, it's not my reloading scales that abuse me.
The bathroom scales are bound for the trash can if they are still measuring wrong next time I step on them.

Bob, it's not my reloading scales that abuse me.
The bathroom scales are bound for the trash can if they are still measuring wrong next time I step on them.
@CBH Australia
Easy fix mate no need to throw them out. Just don't step on them.
I was told to get into shape by a mate I looked at him then at myself then said to him I am in shape it just fucking round that's all.
I have the body of a God mate it's just a pity it's Buddha.
Sc a Les lie.
Bob

I have a scrub bull hunt coming up mid 2023 and I'm struggling to decide which rifle I want to take with me. All the rifles I have are suitable its just I like hunting with them all and cant make a final decision, good problem to have right. I'm going for scrub bulls however I will be in buffalo country and I won't say no if the trophy buffalo bull of a lifetime happens to step out in front of me.

There is no shortage of opinions and preferences on calibres and rifles for big game on here so I thought a poll might be interesting. Obviously bullet choice for any calibre is important but I won't include that in the poll, I always use a premium bonded soft point, Swift A-frame, Woodleigh, etc.

I will be hunting in open bushland and all my rifles are mounted with Leupold 1-4 scopes except for my Rigby which is open sights only.

Keen to hear which rifle you would choose for the hunt.
I chose the Rigby in case you run into a good buff up there in the Territory. A .404 Jeffery would have been my preference if it had been listed - 300gr CE and 400gr Swift bullets. The 300gr can be downloaded and useful for any large boars you may also run into. I believe 400gr Swifts off the shelf will lower any animal on the planet except larger members of the Whale family.

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to hunt two scrub bulls in the NT in 2015. Used the outfitter's Merkel DR in 9.3x74. One shot each and they were done! Four years later I hunted two more in Hawaii and this time used the guide's Model 70 in 300 Win mag. Same results. Like any dangerous game, if stationary and taken by surprise, they are not hard to bring down. Now if riled up it's obviously a very different scenario. Good thing your hunting mates will have serious firepower to back you up should that happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross