Score On A Ruger Express .338 Win Mag! NOW FOR SALE!!!

I have the .375 HH,the .416 Rigby and a .404 J (made from a .375). AZ Dave started the project, didn't like it, I bought it over a year ago from Dave, sent it to a smith in Jasper, Alabama, and it is now my most valuable rifle by many definitions! As far as a .505 goes, I'll let you and Bob have those....too big for me. I seriously looked for a Ruger Express in .300 Win Mag for many months a while back. I found two I believe, but both of them were $2000 or more. More than I wanted to pay.
I think I understand :) But an RSM in .404 Jeff has got to be just about perfect! How’s she shoot?
And yeah, I have had a bit of the same experience looking for some of the Express chamberings. They are harder to find than the RSM’s. But like the .416 Rigby in the RSM, a .300 WM in the Express is about perfect I would think.

I think I understand :) But an RSM in .404 Jeff has got to be just about perfect! How’s she shoot?
And yeah, I have had a bit of the same experience looking for some of the Express chamberings. They are harder to find than the RSM’s. But like the .416 Rigby in the RSM, a .300 WM in the Express is about perfect I would think.
The sights install by the smith in Alabama were NECG. He removed the cerekote and reblued the barrel and action. He replaced the pad and the barrel ring. The irons are zeroed at 50 yards. Just last week, I zeroed a Weaver 1.5 x 5 on it with 400 gr Barnes hand loads. The barrel is a Pac Nor replaced by AZ Dave. The rifle is perfect,(IMO) a little heavy, but that's ok.
GetAttachmentThumbnail (2).jpg
Will hunt a Buff cow with it in July with Paw Print! PS, you need a Past 1 inch pad from the bench, at least I do!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The sights install by the smith in Alabama were NECG. He removed the cerekote and reblued the barrel and action. He replaced the pad and the barrel ring. The irons are zeroed at 50 yards. Just last week, I zeroed a Weaver 1.5 x 5 on it with 400 gr Barnes hand loads. The barrel is a Pac Nor replaced by AZ Dave. The rifle is perfect,(IMO) a little heavy, but that's ok. View attachment 212391 Will hunt a Buff cow with it in July with Paw Print! PS, you need a Past 1 inch pad from the bench, at least I do!!!
NICE!!!

I have seen exactly one other .338 and one .300 Win. Seen maybe 2 7mm's and the rest '06's and .270's. Not at all a common rifle.

I hope nobody on the forum feels slighted by my putting this up for open sale. I know there were a couple of members who early on expressed interest in it but I could not for the life of me remember who. So I figured I would just throw it up here and see what happens. If I gave anyone an idea that they would get dibs on this, I am sorry as I just don't remember who that would be.

I hope nobody on the forum feels slighted by my putting this up for open sale. I know there were a couple of members who early on expressed interest in it but I could not for the life of me remember who. So I figured I would just throw it up here and see what happens. If I gave anyone an idea that they would get dibs on this, I am sorry as I just don't remember who that would be.

Maybe you should have started bidding at $1500....:)

Maybe you should have started bidding at $1500....:)
Quit! I’m already planning on my hostile take over of Dan’s gunsafe! I drove 200 miles tuesday to look at what I thought might be the white buffalo 505 Gibbs RSM. Turned out to be a butchered up RSM done by an amateur gunsmith. I will continue my search for the holy grail of RSM’s until I find one or @ActionBob finally adopts me as his long lost son and wills his to me!
I can’t think of a better guy than @IdaRam to beat me to the punch on such a fine rifle. Even though he knows how bad it hurt! Lol. I will sit here with my small battery of rifles. (barely enough to get me through a south Texas whitetail hunt let alone a elk hunt) while wait on another 338 express to come my way. Lmao
Cheers,
Cody

Quit! I’m already planning on my hostile take over of Dan’s gunsafe! I drove 200 miles tuesday to look at what I thought might be the white buffalo 505 Gibbs RSM. Turned out to be a butchered up RSM done by an amateur gunsmith. I will continue my search for the holy grail of RSM’s until I find one or @ActionBob finally adopts me as his long lost son and wills his to me!
I can’t think of a better guy than @IdaRam to beat me to the punch on such a fine rifle. Even though he knows how bad it hurt! Lol. I will sit here with my small battery of rifles. (barely enough to get me through a south Texas whitetail hunt let alone a elk hunt) while wait on another 338 express to come my way. Lmao
Cheers,
Cody
Hmmmm, let’s see...
I have a Express .338 WM
You have a Merkel .470 NE
See where I’m goin’ here? :D
And Dad, I mean @ActionBob , has that farm in Kansas... Brother ;)
That “small battery of rifles” of yours is intimidating to at least a few small island nations! :eek: Lol

Dan and Ses, congrats to both of you. I'd be feeling left out other than I did pick one of these up some time back. Someday I may decide to part with the 270 but for now it is a safe princess.... Has a lot of other royalty in front of her before she can move up to Queen;)

And BTW guys, I'm told the Holy Grail is the 25-06;) Let me know if anyone hears of one for sale:)

And BTW guys, I'm told the Holy Grail is the 25-06;) Let me know if anyone hears of one for sale:)

Left hand. The Holy Grail is left handed... :D

this particular model was my favorite Ruger ever. Why they had to dog-leg the bolt on a nearly perfect rifle, is beyond me. Oh well. These are one of the best buys in a big game rifle. I own one in 416........congrats on the purchase and sale............................FWB

Its the same bolt handle as on all 77's except the very early flat bolts. Not like they changed it just for this rifle...o_O:rolleyes::D

True enough Sesto............but they changed lots of things..............the wood, the CRF, the sights, and wouldn't the classic straight bolt have been another nice change? Still a good gun and a great value....................FWB

I have always liked the look and feel of the std Ruger bolt myself. :D:D

I will be using all the Black Magic I can muster to hex all of you until someone deliverers that .338 express to my door !!!!

Well it landed in Idaho and is now in the custody of one IdaRam..:D:eek::rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.