Scopes most used power range / objective

There was an interesting conversation on magnification, I think it was on a SA forum. What was interesting to me is that your pupil is rarely larger than 7mm, therefore depending on the lens size you loose any benefit in picture quality as magnification increases. Practically what it means, is that optimal picture is achieved by keeping the magnification below the objective size divided by 7. E.g. the S&B 8x56 Klassik scope has the ideal magnification in relation to the objective (56/7 = 8). Using the same methodology, the 42mm scopes' magnification loses quality when it exceeds 6x.

That said on my 6mm I use my 5-25x56 at 12x and my 404 at 1.1x.

Largest scope I have is a 5-25 on a 6.5 Creedmoor target rifle. Largest scope on a hunting rifle is 3-9 I believe. Everything else is 2-7, 2.5-8 or fixed 6x. Currently all my hunting rifles have leupold.

Like most of you my larger bores are equipped with 1-4 or 1-5 x 20 or 24. Smaller bores are equipped with 3-9 x 42, 2.5 -8 x 42, 2 -7 x Widefield, or an old Weaver K4 straight 4 power. I hunt with the higher variable power scopes set on 4 power. However if I hunted out West where longer distances are the norm, I'd probably gravitate to a higher power of magnification. The game and hunting conditions determine what caliber and scope I use.

3-9x40 and 2.5-15×50 on hunting rifles.
Hunt on low - mid magnifications on both scopes most of the time. Long range (300m) set at 12x. Both SFP

Target rifle 5 - 25 FFP scope

a 1-8 would be the ideal, but costs a bit. i have a trijicon 1-6, suspect it will handle things to 400 yards which is as far as i should shoot at anything.

i only fired at one animal farther in my life, 500 yards a 7mm mag with a 2-7 leupold. nuff said.

@MS 9x56 ... .35 Remington. It shoots everything pretty well, to include handloads for 180, 200, and 220 grain bullets, and the Hornady factory LEVER ammo. I haven't had it long. I haven't hunted with it. But that'll change. ;)

@MS 9x56 ... .35 Remington. It shoots everything pretty well, to include handloads for 180, 200, and 220 grain bullets, and the Hornady factory LEVER ammo. I haven't had it long. I haven't hunted with it. But that'll change. ;)
I also have a Remington model 14 in 30 remington that has a factory peep sight. It is one of 2 dedicated still hunting rifles and the first one I reach for in rainy or snowing weather. I love those old pumps. Easy to carry, quick to shoulder and fits me like a glove. I have taken deer and hogs with it.

@MS 9x56 My largest moose (60") was killed with a 336 in .35 Remington. I was shooting the 220 grain Buffalo Bore loads.
What was the range and do you have a picture of that moose? The gun rag writers will all tell you the 35 rem is too weak to kill moose or elk. Apparently moose and elk don’t read such drivel as they just fall down and die when shot with a 35 rem. The 35 rem has been filling family larders for 115 years quite handily. Good hunting.

1-8x24, works for 99% of hunting, I leave it at 1 and dial it up if I have time but I shoot a lot of game at 1X. (9.3x62, 375H&H and 450-400)

1.7-13.2x42, I can shoot 1.7x with both eyes open without squinting to get it to focus for me. This works for damn near everything. (7x57, 6.5CM and 338 Federal)

2.5-15x44, this is a very long bodied scope qwith good eye relief for magnum actioned rifles. (7mm rem Mag, 300 Weatherby, 338 Win mag)

Most of my rifles wear either 2x7s or 1 1/2x5s. I like simple straight 4x and 2 1/2s. I have a couple of 4x12x on a 243 and a 220 swift. I like to keep then simple and trim.

@MS 9x56

It was really late in the evening. The range was something like 150 or a bit more - I don't remember exactly. I will attach a photo, though it's long been a regret that I had a crappy camera which produced crappy photos. While the 336 did the job, it took several shots. The enormity of the body - all of my previous moose had been paddlehorns - made an impression on me. That winter I bought a MXLR .338 Marlin never looked back; it has been a much better option in terms of killing power and extended range. I don't think I'd have a problem hunting moose with my .35 again, but I'd keep shots a bit shorter, particularly on fully mature ones.

That bull remains one of my best memories. I called him in from a half mile off, before a large slough meant shoot or don't shoot. He came in aggressively the whole way, grunting and thrashing in response to every effort I made. It was super cool.

The gun with the buffalo is a Marlin GBL. I was shooting handloads with 325 grain Cutting Edge brass solids. I used it to kill my buffalo and my zebra this spring.

Picture 189.jpg

P1010260.jpg

@MS 9x56

It was really late in the evening. The range was something like 150 or a bit more - I don't remember exactly. I will attach a photo, though it's long been a regret that I had a crappy camera which produced crappy photos. While the 336 did the job, it took several shots. The enormity of the body - all of my previous moose had been paddlehorns - made an impression on me. That winter I bought a MXLR .338 Marlin never looked back; it has been a much better option in terms of killing power and extended range. I don't think I'd have a problem hunting moose with my .35 again, but I'd keep shots a bit shorter, particularly on fully mature ones.

That bull remains one of my best memories. I called him in from a half mile off, before a large slough meant shoot or don't shoot. He came in aggressively the whole way, grunting and thrashing in response to every effort I made. It was super cool.

The gun with the buffalo is a Marlin GBL. I was shooting handloads with 325 grain Cutting Edge brass solids. I used it to kill my buffalo and my zebra this spring.

View attachment 443296

View attachment 443297
That is truly a hunt well done. My hat is off to you. Congratulations.

Really good thread.

My favorite hunting scope is a Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 with Forceplex reticle.
It's on a 30-06 and is what I used in S.A. last July.

For seven animals taken in the bush (120 yards and under) - the NF was set at 3X. The reticle was illuminated on two that were taken at last light.

The other two, a kudu and a springbuck were shot at 10X and were at 250 and 300+ yards, respectively.

I use similar optics, all 2.5ish-10X42, on various practice/hunting rifles. (Two NF/NSX, a Swaro and a Vortex).

My 22 rimfire has a NF SHV 4-14x50 (First Focal Plane), so I can both dial or use the reticle to 325. It mostly sees 100 and 165 yards at 7 or 8X and gets cranked up for longer. The ability to see the hits at distance is pretty cool and helps sharpen the focus.

I do a lot of practice on steel with the 3-10x42s, (all second focal) - mostly at 219, 225 and 325 yards from the sticks.
Some -at 50 & 100 are usually from standing/unsupported and are always at lowest power.

For practice at 165 to 225, 6X seems to work best. Good visibility and reticle stability for me.

Anything over 225 yards, (which for me is 325), is always at the max of 10X - otherwise I risk a reticle hold screw-up of epic proportions.

Most common I've used over the years has been either fixed 4x or 6x for most everything from p-dogs to moose and 2x for DG

I prefer an exit pupil of at least 5-6mm. But do not like extremely large objective diameters, so it is always kind of a juggling act.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinPr

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!