Ryanlo

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
USA New Zealand
Rifle came with a leupold VX-111 1.5-5x20. It works ok. Crosshairs are a little thin for my liking. At the DSC show I was looking at the trijicon 1-6x24 accupoint. Very bright and really helped my eyes get on target fast. Is it worth the extra $1,000 for the trijicon? Any other ideas or scopes to look at?

The leupold has tally rings. Do they make a fast disconnect set of rings that work good? Any ideas what to sell the leupold scope for?

I have no experience with the Trijicon. Several on the board have expressed opinions regarding various scopes and values. For rings/bases, I prefer (at least how they were made 15 years ago) the Leupold QD rings, primarily since they tightened with a forward push, which meant that when the rifle recoiled the tendency would be to tighten rather than loosen the rings. Others on the board say that's a matter of having the lever properly tightened prior to the shot- so I guess you pick the one that you like best.

I love the Leupold vx6 line with the illuminated plex reticle. I just put QD talley rings and bases on my 375. Even though I had a issue with the screw clearance in the base, which I fixed. I really love the setup. Put 30 rds through the rifle today, halfway through I took the scope off and put it back on and seemed to be almost dead on at 100 yds.

Certainly nothing wrong with a leupold and the newer v6 have lighted recticles. If you wanted to spend more money you could go Swarovski with lighted circle dot reticle, or one of the other European brands aka leica or zeiss. I personally have no experience with a trijicon scope. Since it is a 404j and a dangerous game gun I would put a Swarovski with a lighted cirle dot z6i 1-6x. You will never regret a Swarovski but the cost will hurt for a little while(y)

You can sent the VX III to Leupold and get a new reticle installed (I don't think they can install a lighted one though) for around $100.00.
https://www.leupold.com/resources/custom-shop/

Screenshot (148).png

Talley make a very popular quick release ring but I opted for the Leupold system on my .375 and I really like it. The VX III in this area will bring $250.00 -$350.00 depending on condition.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do have a Leopold VX- 3 1.5-5X 20 on my 404 Jeffery, it has extremely clear lenses /glass. The cross hair is thin, I do not know yet if I like it or not. :D Recently I acquired a Schmidt & Bender 6x42 nr 9 heavy cross hair...I am contemplating substitute the Leopold VX 111 for the Schmidt& Bender...it seems a more classic option to go for...the difficulty is the 26 mm tube , not many scope rings has this diameter ....:(

Buckdog saved me a lot of writing. I love my Z6i circle dot. The pain of purchase has passed but it still delights every time I use it.

I have got a Leupold VX6 1-6*24 on my 416 Rigby with the German#4 Reticle, mounted with Warne QD's . I do remove the scope quite often, never had any zero issues after 2 years. I really enjoy the setup , and worked well for plainsgame as well as a buffalo hunt last year.

I have traditional Claw mounts on my 404 with a rail mount nickel scope no7 recticule that allow fast target acquisition with the wide outer and fine aiming with the finer cross hair if needed.

My 375 have leupold qr mounts like most of my stalking rifles solid and dependable my one 308 also has a NV scope in the qr rings and I can swap between them with no loss of zero.

You should look up what the leupold cost new, thinking they are in the $400-500 range, sell it for $100 less than a new one and put that money toward your new scope. I have no experience with Talley rings/bases,, leupold, burris and Warne for me. QD rings I personally would look into Warne, phenomenon product line.

@Ryanlo "I told you so". :) Sadly, the Leupold 1-5x20 is a dreadful scope that I too own. It's totally unusable for low light conditions and dare I say, a really bad scope for $399 street price.

Top recommended option? Go onto eBay and pick up a used Schmidt & Bender 1-4x20 with a 30mm tube and a #4 reticle. MSRP is about $1800 for this model and worth every penny. Near mint on eBay they are going around $600! Just bought mine there for $660 and the only thing better than it I've found is a Swarovski 1-6x24 EE #4 (MSRP $2388, used prices around $1400)

Rookhawk
Do you consider the 6x42 Schmidt & Bender also better as the Leopold 1.5-5 X 20? I am contemplating substituting the Leopold for the Schmidt& Bender????

@Gert Odendaal I do think that glorious S&B 6x42 Klassik is a vast improvement over the 1.5-5x20 Leupold. Dare I say, I find that Leupold to be the worst premium scope I've ever owned. I have it on a very nice crossbow and I curse every time I use it as the light gathering in low light is awful.

The problem with the S&B Klassik is that 6x is a very narrow range of use. It's perfect for alpine or western USA general hunting from 100 yards to 300 yards. It isn't useful for stuff under 100 yards nor is it really usable past 350 in my opinion. For Africa in thick cover or for a brush gun in the USA I'd prefer a 1-4, 1-5 or 1-6. A fixed four power is also a great all around scope.

I have the Trijicon 1x6 on 6 big bore rifle including my double. Never had a problem with them and the bright triangle work great for my old eyes.

Maybe I need to use it for the coming hunting season and see how it works before I change to the Schmidt& Bender scope...(y)

Have a VX3 and a VX 6 Leupold and have had good service out of both and the VX 6 is on a 416

Thank you CAustin , I will be hunting with the Leopold this hunting season..maybe changing to the Schmidt& Bender the next season...or maybe fitting the Schmidt& Bender to the .500 Jeffery when the building project is completed...although it is a stopper caliber, the aging eyes will need the scope on it..(y)

Thank you CAustin , I will be hunting with the Leopold this hunting season..maybe changing to the Schmidt& Bender the next season...or maybe fitting the Schmidt& Bender to the .500 Jeffery when the building project is completed...although it is a stopper caliber, the aging eyes will need the scope on it..(y)

Oom Gert...

Ageing eyes and a cracked skull is probably not the solution you are looking for :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I have the Zeiss Duralyt 1.2 - 5 x 36. They are over $1,000 new, but on Amazon there are a couple for around $500. I use the Warne QD mounts which I've been very happy with as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg