Scopes For 2 Rifles 30-06/.375 Ruger

ORFish

AH member
Reaction score
Wondering on suggestions for scoping two rifles. I have a .375 Ruger Guide and 30-06 Weatherby. I figure I can cover all hunting need (US and foreign) with this combo. Right now I have a Swaro Z6i 1.7-10 x 42 on the 30-06, and can either get a scope for the ruger, or move the 1.7 to the ruger and get a new one for the 30-06. I do not shoot past 500 yards with either, but would use the ballistic turret to shoot elk out to 500 with the ruger and antelope out to 500 with the weatherby. And I must say I love the illuminated dot at the center of the reticle! I am open to advice!

It is all about what you are hunting and where. We cannot fully answer this question without more information but I will try. I like open sights or red dot on a 375 for close work in thick cover like Limpopo Dangerous Game. But I use a Z8i 1.7 x 13.3 on the 375 for Eland, Kudu, even Tiny Ten. But my shots are usually 300 yards or less with the 375. A vortex PST would work, a Nightforce, a Kahles, S&B, etc., or anything in your price range.

On a 30-06 I prefer a 4x12 or similar with MRAD torrent adjustments and MRAD Reticle. MRAD takes less clicks to get on target than MOA. Again I like Vortex for the money but prefer Kahles and Swaro. And everything comes illuminated now for a little more money.

It is all about what you are hunting and where. I have several 375's with different scopes for different situations and several 300's for any hunting situation. And I shot 270 grain (long range plains game) in one 375 and 350 grain (short range dangerous game) in another. There are lots of decisions. Some guys will just change out scopes and bullet sizes but I prefer to dial in for a certain type of hunt and game. And it is an excuse to own more guys.

Moving the Swaro Z6i 1.7-10 x 42 to the 375 would be great and adding a better torrent system to the 30-06 would be preferred if planning 500 yard shots.

Going to Africa and adding in dangerous game, thick cover, mountains, and varied game and terrain changes the choices.

Your Z6i is just about perfect for a .375 because it is ideal for almost every environment. At lowest setting you can use it anywhere a red dot or even open sights would be appropriate, and yet you have the magnification to fully take advantage of the .375's 300 meter range envelope.

All of my 30-06 class rifles (8x57, .270, 7x65R etc) carry a 2.5x10 x 42 of one form or another. Most are Leica but I also own Leupolds and Swaros.

I should also admit that I am a bit of a Luddite when it comes to ballistic turrets and the like. I have yet to take a shot at a game animal at a distance where such is required.

So from an optics perspective, you are halfway there. :)

A word of caution about open sights - particularly for dangerous game. Very few people today have much experience in the use of open sights on big game. As a client, hunting a buffalo let's say, you have exactly one overriding responsibility - put that first bullet in exactly the right place. Screw that up and everyone can have a really bad day. I spent a career playing with iron sights, but even in thick brush, a scope makes putting a bullet through a narrow window or sorting out the correct shoulder of a group of three bulls lounging in the shade, infinitely easier. All my DG rifles are scoped except for a Birmingham .470 (which, sadly, I have yet to use on a buff - and frankly, may never do so).

Do indeed have a good set on your DG rifle. However, I would consider them for follow-up in case something did go wrong with that first shot.

And please do not consider this a criticism of the use of irons per se by those hunters who have developed the skill set to use them effectively, and the self-discipline to walk away from the many opportunities that could easily have been addressed with a properly scoped rifle.

Last edited:
All good points, thank you. I am starting off with both rifles in Western US/Alaska before booking the Africa. Right now I would see the .375 for Elk/Moose in Oregon (both Rosies and Rocky)/Idaho/Wyoming and the 30-06 for Antelope/Mulies/Blacktails in the similar states. I was planning on taking the .375 as my Alaska Caribou and blacktail rifle, since it would be excellent bear deterrent.

I would probably use the 30-06 on everything you are hunting unless in thick timber on elk or moose. I carry my big bore pistol on my side for quick brown bear medicine. Caribou can be long shoots!

Thank you for all the suggestions. The main reason I have not moved the 1.7-10 over to the .375 is that I really like it on the 30-06. Maybe getting 2 is the right answer. I also considered getting a z5i 3.5-18x44 for the 30-06 since it is so light. I have the z6i 3-18x50 on my 7RemMag, but seems too big for a 30-06.

You have been holding out. I hunt Elk and anything smaller with 7mm Rem Mag. It is the perfect long range caliber. I would move 7mm scope to 30-06, 30-06 to 375, and buy a X5i (or similar) for the 7mm. You will have a great setup for just about anything in North America or Africa.

z5i 2.4-12x50, 3.5-18x44 or 5-25x52?
Again, thank you to all for the responses.

The illuminated dot 1.7-10 is about ideal for both in my opinion. It’s real easy to go too much power adding unwanted weight/bulk. Save the 3-18x for a varmint rifle.
It wasn't many years ago when you would use a fixed 4x for any game out to over 400 yards. Ive taken elk in the dark timber less than 40 yards with a 30-06 as well as antelope with the same 30-06 at 400+ yards. Knowing your gun, load, and range works well.
I think you are on your way to an ideal 2 rifle battery good for most anything!

There is something to be said about having the same scope for multiple rifles. Sounds like you should buy another of the same.

The exception: I think a shot over 350 or so is best done with a scope you can dial, even more so as one gets close to 500. I like the swaro dial System that has three colored dots. Mine are set at 250, 350, 450.

ok,
lets mention the elephant in the room .
parallax.
anything over 8 or 9 power, this rears its head.
the only way to adjust for it is to hold the rifle rock steady and do adjustments until it goes away.
in the field you often cant get the rock solid position to test the adjustment, and it takes a fair bit of time as well.
in effect, impractical.
marking the parallax turret is a waste of time, as even the temp of the scope can affect this.
when i was somewhat younger, 8x was considered a varmint scope.
8x is still good enough for long range game shooting.
the modern trend is to believe the marketing machine which is now backed by the urban myth it has created, and think you need more power than 8x for a long shot.
once you spend big money to get this, you have to believe in it or accept your own stupidity, so you believe in it.
these scopes of bigger powers are bigger scopes and alter the balance and feel of a rifle unacceptably.
this said i will suggest a leupold 2.5 - 8 for the 30/06 7 mag class of gun, and a 1 to something leupold on the 375.
it is very easy to start playing with yourself when buying a scope, but reality is always worth seeking.
bruce.

For what its worth I'd use the lighter 30-06 for pretty much everything including most trips to Alaska (I caribou hunt with a 308 although I wouldn't shoot a big grizzly with it on purpose). I see a lot of guys coming up with a big cannon "just in case." Best case scenario they get a workout carrying a 10 pound rifle around. Worst case they shoot poorly with an unfamiliar gun. The chance that you'll use a rifle on a bear is pretty small. Where I caribou hunt I've seen exactly 1 grizzly in 3 years. Up on the north slope (popular for caribou hunts) grizzly density is probably even less. Obviously Kodiak Island would be a different story but the point is you don't NEED the 375 for much outside Africa (want is a different issue). More important than a big rifle is a hunting buddy to watch your back.

So long story I'd keep the 30-06 as is to have max flexibility (and because I'm lazy). I'd put a smaller scope on the 375 to keep weight and bulk down. I probably wouldn't lug the 375 around unless it was dangerous game.

Side note, I really like Alaskan Arms scope rings. They return to zero or very close to it and have held up to a lot of beating. You could theoretically have 2 scopes for the 375. I'd still double check zero but it will be darn close. If I had an expensive trip on the line I'd have two scopes in those rings no question.

Just get another matching 1.7x10, you like the one you have and 10X will realistically get you to any yardage you would shoot while hunting, you are already comfortable with the controls etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MollieTwop

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg