Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
SCI, SHAC, RW Guild
Hunted
Norway, Sweden, Poland, South Africa
I'm going to bring my favorite rifle scope on my trip in August. The reason are that I will rent a rifle, but would like to use my own scope.
So my question are; Is the scope considered a weapon part and need to be in checked in luggage, or is it just a scope and can be in my possesion on the plane?

It is considered a weapon part in Canada.
I have seen other posts on this subject all advising against it.

Normally the scope is fine with you, this is what I do. Now, it happened to me (once every 6-7 times) to meet an over-zealous (and stupid) security personal that gave me hell, but that is rather the exception. Some lengthy discussions later is was fine...

It is considered a weapon part in Canada.
I have seen other posts on this subject all advising against it.

I believe that is the case in the U.S., at the very least it is at times deemed this depending on who is working TSA that day. I was told at the Dallas Safari Club by one of the component manufacturers that I could take bullets on the plane. These being just the bullets that I would be using in handloads. They told me that they travel this way all the time. Well when I got to the airport, TSA raised all kinds of hell about it. I tried to explain that the only thing I could do with these unloaded bullets would be to throw them real hard and maybe they might hurt someone. The TSA guy disagreed. He went off to discuss my fate with some others. He came back and confirmed to me that they were in fact unloaded! :eek:hbrother: But nonetheless I'd have to check them.

Perhaps the Europeans are smarter than us and you'll be fine, but I wouldn't chance it.

wrap it up safely and put it in your checked luggage. its not worth the very possible aggro from security when they x-ray your hand luggage, and shock horror see something that screams gun at them. what about the mounts on your scope and the rifle, will they like each other? ;)

I will be renting a Ruger M77 and since I have Ruger rings, I guess it will works. As far I know.....I dont know if every Ruger has the same integrated mount, but I think so. at least all M77.
I guess I will put it iny checked luggage, just to be sure. I cant say that I like the luggage handling at the airports though.

i had 3 different m77 and from what i can remember the rings all looked the same, even the ones i got with a couple of ruger handguns looked the same. if i go or transit through sa i use a hard sided suitcase, as there are no zips or hidden corners that can be opened/cut easily.

Before you go to the trouble of bringing it, you may want to check with the owner of the rifle if he is OK with removing his scope and mounting yours. I know that if I had a scope mounted on my rifle, zeroed, and set up how I liked it, I'd be reluctant in the extreme to removing it.

I am very partial my my Swarovski scopes and I fully understand wanting to put your own scope on a rented rifle. But, I could easily understand the owner not wanting to pull his scope off.

I will be renting a Ruger M77 and since I have Ruger rings, I guess it will works. As far I know.....I dont know if every Ruger has the same integrated mount, but I think so. at least all M77.
I guess I will put it iny checked luggage, just to be sure. I cant say that I like the luggage handling at the airports though.

I wish I still had pics of my fish scale that was in my checked luggage. There is no way in HELL I would check a scope unless it was in a pelican case.

Before you go to the trouble of bringing it, you may want to check with the owner of the rifle if he is OK with removing his scope and mounting yours. I know that if I had a scope mounted on my rifle, zeroed, and set up how I liked it, I'd be reluctant in the extreme to removing it.

I am very partial my my Swarovski scopes and I fully understand wanting to put your own scope on a rented rifle. But, I could easily understand the owner not wanting to pull his scope off.

In this case, Willem offered me this possibility, but I am not sure I will go for it because a banged up scope in my checked luggage are not on my wishlist.
He has a fairly good scope mounted on his rifle, so I am sure I will be fine anyway.
And I see your point. Taking off the scope usually means you have to zero it in again.
Anyway, it show Willems and Koedoebergs high level of service!

I was in trouble for a stock for a shotgun...what gives...

ALL bag's need to be locked and secured while traveling.

If the airline or TSA deems an item to be gun related it has to be in your checked bag...it does not pay to debate with them (airline or TSA) as it show you are confrontational and could be placed on the do not fly list.

Where do you think that will get you.

If the airlines say yup and TSA say nay...you have to go back to the airline counter and then what do you do with your item. Ship it home as they will not retrieve your check bag to be included. Been there done that...

Interesting idea. How does your PH feel about taking his scope off of his rifle? In a lot of camps, the rental rifle is actually one of the PH's. I am trying to imagine Nick Nolte's reaction to a request that he pull his scope off his personal .300 WinMag which is also his loaner.

If the airlines say yup and TSA say nay...you have to go back to the airline counter and then what do you do with your item. Ship it home as they will not retrieve your check bag to be included. Been there done that...

If you had only carry on baggage as I did, you go back to check-in and put the item in a bag and check it. While I did present my rebuttal to TSA, I was polite about it and they actually let me move to the front of the line at security when I got back to make sure I got to my flight on time.

sheesh! I've never had a problem with bringing that sort of thing in!
If the rented rifle has a quick release mount system on it, it won't make any difference if you take his scope off! You just gotta know what system it is.
Roll the scope up in some foam rubber sheet and push it into a piece of class 6 PVC pipe and tape the ends with Duck Tape! It''ll travel fine! :) Declare it going out and insure it! Shouldn't be an issue!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowardDove

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,