Scope mount for Win M70

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
What I'm trying to find is a scope mount base, basically just like the one piece Leupold/Redfield mount except that I need it to be longer so that it goes to the rearward hold in the bridge. all of the ones that I have fit the front ring and the forward hole in the bridge. the M70 that I have does not have a hole in the front- just in the back; so a longer one piece base is needed. Does anyone make such a base?

I have four M70's in long action, including one rechambered to the Lott cartridge.

For the first, I bought the Leopold mounts. They fit a bit less that optimum for a Vx-II 2.5-8. About one mm of space available to fit fore and aft. Luckily, it was just right for my view, etc. The front base hangs over the action cutout by a bit. No function problems though.

For the others, I bought Talley. Two detachable and one fixed, but not the one-piece I saw referenced here. They are probably the best, but not all scopes will fit due to the spacing. I can vouch that the Conquest 3-9x40's do, with room to spare, as well as the VX-III 3.5-10's. Your Vx-II probably has available mounting room similar to the latter, but might want to double check.

I wasn't clear. Attached are some photos to hopefully clarify the problem.

DSC_2186.JPG
DSC_2187.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is the forward hole in the bridge is not drilled. So the mount would need to use the 1st, 2nd and what normally would be the fourth hole. the one piece base that I have is designed for the 1,2 *3 hole. As the photo shows it would fit the 1&2 hole but is too short to reach the 4 hole. A two piece base won't work because there is only one hole in the bridge.

I was on the phone with Talley the other day trying to get bases for a 1969 Browning Safari and we were coming up with odd hole spacing. He suggested that he ship me a blank base to be drilled, this might be the way you need to go.

Talley might have a one piece that would work. I’ve never seen one with only one hole that wasn’t a hack job of a standard to H&H port.

Last edited:
I would have a gunsmith or machinist drill the holes where you need them in rifle or scope base and while you are at it-have them all drilled out for 8/40 screws. I’ve started using picatinny rails as they give you the ability to use various sizes of scope. Hope this applies to your situation-if not-happy holidays!

gbflyer Scope mount for Win M70
You have a standard length action there that has had the port milled to accommodate an H&H length case. The gun jones that committed that blasphemy neglected to re-drill the action bridge further aft for the hole that got removed during the process. Your best bet would be to have it D and T’d to correct factory H&H mag spacing by a gunsmith. A custom one piece mount could be built but it would cost more.
Just so others will know what was left out of gbflyer's posting

gbflyer Scope mount for Win M70
You have a standard length action there that has had the port milled to accommodate an H&H length case. The gun jones that committed that blasphemy neglected to re-drill the action bridge further aft for the hole that got removed during the process. Your best bet would be to have it D and T’d to correct factory H&H mag spacing by a gunsmith. A custom one piece mount could be built but it would cost more.
Just so others will know what was left out of gbflyer's posting

Guess I haven’t.

Yeah I was pretty rude there. Sorry. That’s why I changed it. Also unaware there was a NM. Is that notch for a stripper guide or something? I’ve only seen the rounded port cuts on the sporters. Learn something new every day.

Apology accepted. Yes, the notch is for the stripper clip and it is factory chambered to 30-06. It has mount blocks, one on the ring and one on the barrel. It was made in 1950 and scopes of the day were external adjusted Unertls or aperture sights. Considering it's condition I'd probably be better off to just keep the mounts as they are and find a decent Unertl to mount on it.

If the rifle was made ca 1950, it was right in the middle of a transition according to Roger Rule in his book, The Rifleman's Rifle. If I read it correctly (to me his explanations are sometimes a little confusing) he says there was a two year transition for standardization of holes D&T'd in the rear bridge and some guns could have had none or only one hole. Some with the stripper cut out or the 375 HH length extension cut out were D&T'd with two and a hole spacing of .425". He also states the transition to a standardized two hole rear bridge occurred late in 1950 production. As has been posted, the rear bridges of some of the match or bull guns may be slightly different from the standard issues.

Not much help in knowing exactly where to find those bases currently but I remember seeing them commonly listed in either or both the Leupold and Redfield catalogs for scope bases. Specifically the longer one piece base with a single rear bridge hole for the 375 HH action.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg