Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Australian Deer Association,
Hunted
RSA, New Zealand.
Hi Guys,
Just after your thoughts on a scope for a .338 win mag im thinking of a Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15x42
I will mostly be stalking Sambar Deer on foot but the odd long shot will most likley present itself at some time.

I have one on a M70 of mine. A bit better glass from what I've seen in the old Conquests. I was at one time a big fan of the old Conquests, but when my hand loading addiction followed by more and more rifle purchases fully kicked in, the old Conquests proved to be not so durable.

When the newer line came out, the claim was they'd be more reliable. Got a great deal on mine and decided to give them another chance. I can't say I've fired a lot of shots yet, so time will tell if these claims are true for me.

I have a Nikon pro staff 5 4.5-18 for mine. Haven’t gotten it to the range yet, I’ll let you know how it works out. I figured something like that would be good for short and long range if need be.

I've had a Leupold 3x9 Ultralight on mine for the last 30 years, never let me down yet.

Chris as far as magnification goes, I think that will be just fine. Personally I’m a smaller front objective kind of person as it allows the scope to ride closer to the barrel. I used to have scopes with 50 mm front objectives but I’ve gotten rid of those in favor of the sub 50 sized objectives. Less bulk and weight, and for a hunting rifle at normal ranges, I’d say the scope you chose is a good choice.

I’d be curious to see others opinions of the Zeiss HD5 Conquest scopes. I don’t know much about them...

My 338 Win Mag wears a Swarovski Z6 2.5-14 x 44 w/ a custom ballistic turret. While it is a little heavier than other scopes in the category, I love the scope. For my 338 WM it’s been a solid performer.

I have a win70 that wears a Conquest HD5 3-15x42.. great piece of glass for the money.. no complaints at all

my 338 win mags (2 of them) wore 1.75-6 and 2-7 leupolds. I'm not a fan of high magnification on a larger rifle (over .308). you are not shooting gophers with them, and 2 power on low end is fine for possible close encounters with a grizzly. i never needed don't need more than 7 power for bigger game. i guess if you were going to shoot over 400 yards at a coyote sized critter, you might want more magnification, but on sheep, blacktail deer 7x is plenty. also, makes a low profile scope.

buy a good quality scope, don't need a failure...ever! especially if you don't have iron sights as a backup. the 338 win is a great choice for an all around rifle.

Thanks Guys,
The Rifle I am going to put it on is a Mod 70 Win with Iron sights, while I dont intend to use it as a long range rifle the country I hunt in occasionally gives up a 400mt + shot thats why I went with the higher magnification.

Hi Guys,
Just after your thoughts on a scope for a .338 win mag im thinking of a Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15x42
I will mostly be stalking Sambar Deer on foot but the odd long shot will most likley present itself at some time.

I use a Leupold 4-9x40
Long eye relief and warranty for ever

I have two 338s and it's my favorite caliber. On my Ruger I have a Leupold VX3 2.5x8 and I think this is my favorite scope. My other 338 is a Browning BAR and it has a VX2 2x7. I used to think the 3-9 and 4x12 scopes were needed, but have gone with the lower powered scopes and been very happy.

My 338win mag has had a old 3X9X40 duplex reticle on it since I got it in the 1970's. I shot a bunch of animals in the USA and Africa with it and no problems. I have shot animals from under 10 yards to a Kudu at 480 yards. This year when I went to Africa I changed it out for a VX3i in 3.5X10X40 and shot a large number of animals (35+) at all sorts of ranges(20-400+) and now I will leave it on the rifle. The VX3i has better glass than my very old Varri-X II scope did.
I did take a 257W with a VX3i 4.5X14X40 and on 14X it was had to get a second shot off quickly. I then never turned it up past 10X and it was fine. I did shoot a Steenbuck at 395 yards on 14X but did not need a follow up shot. I shot a Bushbuck on 14X at about 375 yards and tried to get a 2nd shot in it before it got to heavy brush. I was unable to get back on it quick enough. It was a good thing it only went about 10 yards into the brush and then died. It worked well at close ranges set on 4.5X.

The only scopes I will put on my hunting rifles/pistols are Leupold

I've had Leupold scopes on various rifles, some have had hard use (abuse?) with no issues. I have a Leica 2.5-10 illuminated on a 35 Whelen with hundreds of rounds through it. It has been dropped on rocks several times, but I have not had an issue of any sort with it.

as others have said get a quality scope with plenty of "eye relief". Zeiss have short relief and Nikon claim to have 4" but it measures out at 3.25-3". I don't know anyone who likes magnum eyebrow

to measure eye relief:

place a small flashlight on the objective and focus the spot from the eyepiece on a card. Dead simple and it quickly weeds out the liars.

That's the assembled in Germany version.. It has a 1" tube and with the 338 the RAPID-ZR 800 reticle is required. I don't see any reason why it would not hold up if you purchase the correct reticle.

as others have said get a quality scope with plenty of "eye relief". Zeiss have short relief and Nikon claim to have 4" but it measures out at 3.25-3". I don't know anyone who likes magnum eyebrow

to measure eye relief:

place a small flashlight on the objective and focus the spot from the eyepiece on a card. Dead simple and it quickly weeds out the liars.
Good trick. I bought the Leica as they advertised an eye relief of 4". It does seem pretty good...

Reactions: lcq
Hi Guys,

Another suggestion is the Swarovski 1-8 w the illuminated dot which is handy handy when the animal is on shade for example.

Another suggestion is the Swarovski 1-8 w the illuminated dot which is handy handy when the animal is on shade for example.
That would be an awesome choice if you could afford it. The Leupold 1-5 VX5 is running me about $750 US.

I'm not sure of the newer Zeiss models, but I've used their scopes mfg in 1935, 1985 and a few from 1990s. the most used on is the Diavari 3-9x mounted on a M70 Alaskan 338. It's the go to rifle when I'm after something bigger than a spike elk or not in the mood to try something else. I have no complaints about the scope. It is bright, has a clearly visible reticle, holds zero well and tracks through the adjustments with no variation.

I have an original Conquest that has served me well. I believe an HD5 would be fine. I see better through Leica though so that’s what I’d get. If possible look through Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss, Meopta and Leupold scopes within in your budget. Pick the one that has the glass you like best. I sold scopes for a couple of years and realized that everyone’s eyes are different and that fact was revealed over and over with customers. As an example I see much better through the current iterations of Leica, Meopta and Leupold than I do Swarovski and Zeiss. I know people who are the opposite.

I hunt coyotes with a .243 wearing a 3.5-10 and an AR .223 wearing a 2-7. Even the 2-7 gets me past 300 yards. So on the size game I’d be shooting with a .338 WM I wouldn’t use a 3-15. At the lower cost end I’d probably go VX-3i 2.5-8(which I believe is a very nice scope and incredibly versatile), or if I could afford nicer I’d look for a 1-8.

But that is me and if your heart is leaning toward something in the 3-15 range then go for it. Because if you are like me you will always be thinking, “what if”, in the back of your mind if you don’t.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois