Scope for 450/400

Bert Reynolds

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hi all

I am in the market for a scope for a 450/400 ruger no1. I’d like something with a straight through tube, non illuminated and preferably first focal plane. I was looking at the S&B zenith 1-4 and the Leupold vx5 1-5 (Leupold is second focal plane and no longer bring non illuminated into aus but have some available). Another scope I have come across is kaps. It has everything I am after and is half the price of the S&B. But I have never heard of them. They are made in Germany and get decent reviews online. Has anyone had experience with these?

4FFFAE08-C0F5-43BB-A1A5-A7E8F890B8F7.png

Last edited by a moderator:
What benefit do you perceive in having a non-illuminated reticle?
IMO if hunting the dark colored animals Africa, illuminated would be at the top of my list.
Especially considering that the 450/400 can be used for DG.

Secondly why second focal plane?
I see the advantage FFP used for long range shooting at more than 500 yards.
FFP keeps the distance between hash marks on the scope the same for any zoom.
But at a max of maybe 8x and shooting distances less than 300 yards that SFP would be OK.
Most FFP scopes are not going to have a straight tube because they are mostly used for long range shooting.

I'm not sure how many PH's will be lining you up to take shots with a 450/400 at 300+ yards.
Regardless of what scope you have on your rifle.

I’ve had one illuminated scope and didn’t see any benefit over a thick first focal plane reticle. I just prefer ffp scopes due to the heavy reticle. I have an older ffp diavari and a newer Zeiss victory and I prefer the ffp.

On a Wildebeest or Cape Buffalo (or any other dark colored animal) in the shade, you want an illuminated reticle.
I don't care how bold your FFP non-iluminated scope is, you won't see the crosshairs against a black background.
Pick one that you can turn the illumination off.
Most of them the dot is so small at 1x you can barely see it anyway.
There is no reason to handicap yourself.

Your safari, your rifle, your scope and your choice.
Just my opinion.

I'm not sure what options exist for FFP with a straight tube with non-illuminated reticle.
The only one I know of with FFP is Blaser and it's a rail mount and illuminated.
https://www.blaser.de/en/products/blaser-optics/blaser-optics-riflescopes/blaser-1-7x28-ic/

I have the Karl Kaps 1-4x scope, and it is optically excellent and seems rugged. I have it mounted on my .375 and was considering switching it to my .450-400 Merkel double. I would say go ahead and buy one, with one caution. It is a first focal plane scope and the #1 reticle in mine is very very coarse when on full magnification. Much coarser than the picture above would indicate. I think we would both be happier with their "invariant" reticle, the tapered ones. Be aware they are available with and without rail, I suggest using yours with the excellent Ruger rings, so - order with no rail.

My first thoughts are: range, eye relief, and electrics.

If you’re shooting out to say, 100 yards (*or maybe 200) I’d seriously consider a zero power 4 moa e-dot sight of some kind. A Doctor or Trijicon on the rear really is all I’ve ever needed to 100 yards or a pinch more.

The next thought I had was eye relief. A 450/400 is not exactly a low recoiling rifle. I wouldn’t pick anything less than 4” of eye relief to avoid scoping myself.

Finally, if you intended to shoot to 200 or even 300 yards, what scope would work for easy holdovers?

To me, it would boil down to either the e-dot Doctor optic or a Leupold VX6 1-6 with possibly a wide or #4 duplex, ideally with the lower post being a 300 yard drop.

Really, it all depends on how far you intend to shoot under normal circumstances.

I have the Karl Kaps 1-4x scope, and it is optically excellent and seems rugged. I have it mounted on my .375 and was considering switching it to my .450-400 Merkel double. I would say go ahead and buy one, with one caution. It is a first focal plane scope and the #1 reticle in mine is very very coarse when on full magnification. Much coarser than the picture above would indicate. I think we would both be happier with their "invariant" reticle, the tapered ones. Be aware they are available with and without rail, I suggest using yours with the excellent Ruger rings, so - order with no rail.

I’m after first focal plane but I’ll keep that in mind with the reticle size. I guess my biggest concerns were if it would handle the recoil and had good twilight performance. As its half the price of the Schmidt and bender equivalent. I’ve never been a fan of the rail mount and the rifle came with Alaska Arms QD rings. But I’m tempted to have a local gunsmith make me a custom 1/4 rib with German claw mounts.

My first thoughts are: range, eye relief, and electrics.

If you’re shooting out to say, 100 yards (*or maybe 200) I’d seriously consider a zero power 4 moa e-dot sight of some kind. A Doctor or Trijicon on the rear really is all I’ve ever needed to 100 yards or a pinch more.

The next thought I had was eye relief. A 450/400 is not exactly a low recoiling rifle. I wouldn’t pick anything less than 4” of eye relief to avoid scoping myself.

Finally, if you intended to shoot to 200 or even 300 yards, what scope would work for easy holdovers?

To me, it would boil down to either the e-dot Doctor optic or a Leupold VX6 1-6 with possibly a wide or #4 duplex, ideally with the lower post being a 300 yard drop.

Really, it all depends on how far you intend to shoot under normal circumstances.
I’m guessing I’d like it to be good for 0-200 yards. It has QD rings and decent sights. The previous owner had a Trijicon 1-4 on it. Eye relief is big on all the straight tubes scopes. If I went Leupold I think I’d go the vx5. It seems very good value for money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois