Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
Bullet picking time!

In my 308 Norma Mag both the 180gr Scirocco and the 150 Maximus shoot incredibly accurately.

The lighter Maximus has a muzzle velocity almost 300 fps faster than the heavier Scirroco. Yet at 300 yards the ballistic calculator shows the Scirocco will drop one inch more but 2.5" less defelction in a 25 mph wind.

The Scirocco is known for rapid opening, big mushrooms and shedding a bit of weight while the Maximus fragments its front end and leaves a wad cutter shaped base which is supposed to penetrate well.

The idea is a single bullet to hunt nothern Ontario deer to South African Eland.

My PH tells me both will work based on the loads I have developed.

One man
One rifle
One bullet

A hunting legend in the making :unsure:;):rolleyes:

If a thread is posted on a forum, but no one replies, did it ever really exist?:S Rip:

20210608_220217.jpg

Bullet picking time!

In my 308 Norma Mag both the 180gr Scirocco and the 150 Maximus shoot incredibly accurately.

The lighter Maximus has a muzzle velocity almost 300 fps faster than the heavier Scirroco. Yet at 300 yards the ballistic calculator shows the Scirocco will drop one inch more but 2.5" less defelction in a 25 mph wind.

The Scirocco is known for rapid opening, big mushrooms and shedding a bit of weight while the Maximus fragments its front end and leaves a wad cutter shaped base which is supposed to penetrate well.

The idea is a single bullet to hunt nothern Ontario deer to South African Eland.

My PH tells me both will work based on the loads I have developed.

One man
One rifle
One bullet

A hunting legend in the making :unsure:;):rolleyes:
A hunting rifle in that cartridge is just begging to be sighted in for MPBR. For the 180 gr Swift, that's ~365 yards; for the CEB 150, that's ~395 yards. Reaching out to almost 400 yards and not having to adjust for holdover is a winner (I consider 365 almost 400 yards, too)

both of those assume a 10" vital zone on your giant Canadian white tails.

FWIW, I have always favored heavy-for-caliber bullets, so Scirocco II is what I would choose.

Thanks! I was also thinking the cartridge was built with the 180s in mind. I am going to chrono the best group that I got, but I think it will be around 2900 fps.

There is no doubt the CEB is very accurate and very fast. I am just not sure what 3260fps will do to the meat and hide. That makes me pause.

It'll do the same thing the 180 will at 2950.

For my taste, they're both kinda hot loads for anything under about 150 yards.

my 45-70, lobbing 405, 425, and 525 gr bullets at around 1600 fps causes the least amount of bloodshot meat of all the different calibers I shoot. I can eat almost up to the hole.

the only fast mover I own is a 280AI, and my 160 gr A Frames just arrived a couple days ago (still waiting on brass)

In a .300 magnum of any persuasion, I am a 180 gr (or heavier) fan. I particularly don't trust mechanical bullets designed to shed bits and pieces.

In a .300 magnum of any persuasion, I am a 180 gr (or heavier) fan. I particularly don't trust mechanical bullets designed to shed bits and pieces.
Agreed. Personally, I'd go to the Oryx 200 gr. With URP or MRP, 2800+ is still on the table. But, the BC is appreciably lower than it is for the Scirocco 180.

My vote would be for the Scirocco also.
Bruce

P
Good to see that your post became a thread!

Congrats.

I want to believe that they work, but I take very seriously your educated perspective versus my hopeful and earnest belief! Going to the tried and true lead core eliminates one variable.
Agreed. Personally, I'd go to the Oryx 200 gr. With URP or MRP, 2800+ is still on the table. But, the BC is appreciably lower than it is for the Scirocco 180.

I have 200gr Woodleighs that I am considering but the accuracy and BC of these has sort of dissuaded me from doing so. I originally didn't get great accuracy from the Woodleigh 180s which lead me to these Scirocco and CEB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasS111

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!