Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
I've been working up loads in 180gr Scirocco II's for my .300 Win Mag. To put it bluntly, this has been by far the worst loading experience I've had. The groups vary from bad to really bad. Powders in various weights used so far are RL19, RL22 and IMR4350. Anybody have a recommendation, I'm about to give up on these.

Meanwhile my first 3 rounds of 180gr Accubonds using RL19 shot just under an inch so I'm quite certain there's no issue with the rifle or scope.

Strange its not doing better. My limited experience with the first Scirocco bullets was pretty good. Your powder choices are good. Assume you are using a magnum primer. Your gun just may not like them, it happens. But before you give up entirely, try some H4831. I have found it to produce stellar accuracy in several guns when others wont do it. Velocity may be less as its pretty slow but always adequate. The burn rate charts always show R22 being slower but it isnt, not by a long shot.

Normally the RL22 has shown to be good in the Tikka shooting 200gr A-Frames and 200gr NP's with excellent accuracy. What I mostly need to do is leave well enough alone, those two rounds will work well on anything in Africa short of DG. But noooo, I have to keep tinkering....:wacky:

I've been giving the H4831 some consideration, I've never used it before, but once again it's popping up on the radar screen with your comments on it.

I'm a new 300 win owner. I did manage to find factory 200 eldX, but I want to reload for this caliber. I used to pistol load so I have most everything except dies shell holder and components.
Can anyone solidly recommend 2-3 powders that would find my one load in? This is for PG but would also like to use it for open deer hunting. I am brand new to the caliber and though I probably won't bring my rifle the rentals are 300 win. I'm in no rush to reload but trying to start sourcing the scarce powder primers and bullets. Thanks for any help.

Interesting old post as I had the same problem getting this bullet to be accurate in my REM. 700. . . Seating it deeper was important but so was the powder.
The top three powders I use in my .300 wm are rl-22, IMR 4350 and with the aforementioned Swift scirocco II-I had acceptable performance from h4831sc
I have one really good load that utilizes rl-25. IMR 7828 (I like the ssc version) is a good all around choice but has never been the best choice in the two rifles I load for in this caliber.

69gr of h4831 is my preferred load for 200 gr eldx and more accurate than the scirocco. I had the same problem and could not get the sciroccos to group as well as the eldx.

@Spearhead - I like H1000, H4831SC, H4350 and RL19 in that order for the 300WM. One of these should yield good results in the 180gr range. If not, I'd be surprised. Now days it's almost what you can find instead of what may work best!
Regarding the Scirocco's from the old post: Seems to be hit or miss if a rifle will like these. I have a few buddies that couldn't get them to group but a couple others that swear by them. :E Shrug: YMMV

I'm a new 300 win owner. I did manage to find factory 200 eldX, but I want to reload for this caliber. I used to pistol load so I have most everything except dies shell holder and components.
Can anyone solidly recommend 2-3 powders that would find my one load in? This is for PG but would also like to use it for open deer hunting. I am brand new to the caliber and though I probably won't bring my rifle the rentals are 300 win. I'm in no rush to reload but trying to start sourcing the scarce powder primers and bullets. Thanks for any help.

I'm the one who started this thread way back when and never did get the Scirrocco's to group well. But I have since used H4831 in my M70 .300WM. It is a go to powder for 180 and 200 grain bullets. As mentioned it's not going to give the fastest result yet satisfactory, but accuracy has been great.

H-1000 is great. Retumbo can yield great results too. The Scirocco bullets can be hard to work with. There was some modifications a while back that helped. If you’re rife likes it they can group beautifully. If it doesn’t try another bullet. Changing seating depth can also yield good results.
Bruce

I got some 180gr

Scirocco II​

What COAL are you all getting with the 300 Win Mag ?
74.0 of IMR 4831
WLR primer in WW brass

Last edited:
Just a suggestion but call or e mail swift and talk to one of the technicians there. They will give you lots of advice on seating depth and powders-

Not not you wanted to see? Best rifle I have built to date. Always within 1/2 moa

night force scope
1-10 twist
26 inch barrel

berger 210 vld
h1000
cci250
gunwerks case

3.5390 coal
2.8370 ogive

calibration and correction drop at yards
100 yards 0
200 1.68
300 3.75
400 4.00

still working on up to 800

proof barrel, can only shoot so many before it has to cool down

Try the H1000 I got my best results using that powder

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.