Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
SCI Requests Change In Ammunition Policy By South African Airlines

SCI recently received reports that South African Airlines changed its policy on ammunition transportation and is now requiring international hunters to use a lockable hard sided ammunition box when transporting ammunition on South Africa Airlines airplanes.

After discussions with the SCI South Africa Office, SCI sent a letter to the CEO of South African Airlines asking that this policy be reversed.

Additionally SCI requested that South Africa Airlines readopt the International Air Transport Association guidelines that are used by most airlines. Those guidelines only require that passengers securely pack ammunition in the original manufacturer's package or in a container designed for ammunition and of sufficient strength to protect it from accidental crushing or discharge (i.e. wood, fiber, plastic, or metal).

Source: Safari Club International (SCI)

I think this would be good for the cause> South African Airlines seems kind of tipsy turvy on it's policies & I don't think they are consistent!! When I boarded the plane in the states It was OK to place my ammo inside my luggage, which was stored in a hard plastic ammo box. Coming home from Africa it always had to be placed seperately, they wrapped it in duct tape & made me declare & extra bag! It's no big deal to me how they want to do it but please be consistant!!
I also think all the airlines should get on the same page, because they are all hurting each other by going their own ways! We all deal with TSA'S policies & as much as we hate it, it seems to be working! One has enough worries going to Africa if the paper work is filled out correctly, are there going to be any problems at the cop shop in JoBurg, etc. The worse part of an African safari could be made a little easier & relaxing for the hunter!!

I think hunters make the airlines a lot of money! And even though we are a smaller population than the business and other travelers...we are not terrorist. So stop treating us like we'll put up with anything...because we won't. I for one am getting sick of all the extra costs...and it does make me think twice before I go hunting where I have to get on a plane versus driving.

Last edited:
enysse.............hmmm, it is nice to know I am not the only one. Airlines really annoy me. I have been known to take my truck and drive to a hunting destination that may take two days, when I could be there in 4 hours by plane, although it is actually more like a long day of lay overs, dealing with security types who couldn't make the local police department so applied for something else with a uniform...........too much hurry up and wait.

Unfortunately with International hunts we have no choice. There really is no reason they all couldn't get there act together and standardize requirements for ammunition and firearms other than they just can't be bothered. Extra fees just keep racking up and soon we will be down to one piece of carry on and one checked bag with all else falling into the excess baggage department with most airline companies.

It is nice to see that SCI is trying to do something about it. Not many organizations out there that look after hunter related issues like SCI. I do not agree with everything SCI does, but overall there is a reason I put up the cash and became a life member.

I agree Kelly... I don't agree with everything SCI does but for the most part they are the only ones sitting in the hunters corner!! I mean where is the greedy NRA, they are always begging for your money but when someting like this comes along they are no where to be seen!
Having met & knowing a lot of the top brass in SCI - afew loose cannons in the organization could go along way! Everything can't & doesn't have to be prim & proper!! It's going to have to happen soon as the hunters are getting the shaft and soon the hunters will be protesting just like the people who are forming the Tea Parties!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniata1951

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross