SCI or DSC Convention Poll

Discussion in 'Hunting Conventions, Shows & Events' started by BeeMaa, Apr 28, 2019.

Tags:
?

Which convention would you attend, if you could only go to one?

1. SCI - Safari Club International in Reno

2. DSC - Dallas Safari Club in Dallas

3. Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. BeeMaa

BeeMaa AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCI
    Hunted:
    Eastern US & RSA
    My wife and I have been to a few conventions but none as large as the DSC or SCI.
    Wanted to see where you guys and gals go and just as important, why?

2. Philip Glass

Philip Glass AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, Zimbabwe, Texas
    I go to both. SCI has more booths and big name entertainment at the banquets. DSC is crowded on Saturday because you don’t have to be a member to attend. Some things are similar. You see many of the same outfitters at both. At DSC we have an AH dinner that is fun. I’ll miss DSC next year due to my Safari in Cameroon ☹️
    I also attended the Sheep Show in Reno this year and enjoyed it. Bit different crowd there.
    It was my first time to Reno and I must say I’m not a fan. Weather issues, taxi issues, hotel issues (Peppermill messed up my reservation both times!), and just not anything good to say about Reno.
    Hope SCI gets back to and stays in Vegas! Just the number of flights and the price makes it better for me not to mention everything else.
    Philip

Spooksar and BeeMaa like this.

3. WAB

WAB AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
    We have done both but have settled on DSC. To us it has a more laid back atmosphere.

Another factor is just the way SCI seems to have gone. I really struggle with the way SCI treats the outfitters with the required donations for booth location, etc.. I am also not a fan of their awards program, as to me it takes the focus away from what hunting should be and encourages the harvesting of the wrong age class animals.

Royal27 and BeeMaa like this.

4. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    I hope to do them both some day work permitting

ve7poi and BeeMaa like this.

5. BeeMaa

BeeMaa AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCI
    Hunted:
    Eastern US & RSA
    Wait, wait, wait, wait just a minute.
    You have hunted SA, KwaZulu, Natal, Kalahari, NW, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kurger Area...not to mention several of the US States and you are waiting on a work schedule that will accommodate the SCI & DSC convention?
    Maybe I've been drinking just a wee bit too much or I really need your kind of problems.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    Vanguard2279 and CAustin like this.

6. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    Yep! Every time I plan to do something it’s like the CEO of my company finds out and calls a mandatory meeting. When I go to Africa she can’t get me!

ve7poi, BeeMaa and Vanguard2279 like this.

7. BeeMaa

BeeMaa AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCI
    Hunted:
    Eastern US & RSA
    There is a lot to be said for being "out of range" when it comes to work.
    Hope you make it to both...someday.
    Cheers.

CAustin likes this.

8. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    I am a life member of both and have attended both conventions. Last time at SCI was two years ago. We have been to DSC every year for the last five. We much prefer it. There is very little difference in size any longer. We do not go to attend the banquets - they are interminable - and if I am going to buy an auction hunt (rarely) it will be with a local organization. We use the three or four evenings to catch up with old friends over dinner or at the bar (particularly our AH friends (y)). And other than visiting other friends on the floor, we actually spend more time with vendors who are selling everything from fine art, to fine guns (where I first held the prototype to the Rigby Highland Stalker), to books, to boots (JB Hill are the best), to the two swings of (all things) now sitting on the patio.

I personally find DSC a much friendlier environment. Virtually everyone is a volunteer and it shows. And the show can indeed be crowded on a weekend, but one never ever has the sense that you have been granted a favor to be let in the door.

BeeMaa, WAB, sierraone and 1 other person like this.