AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
SCI opposes a proposed ESA listing of giraffes because it is a bad bargain for the giraffe.

Safari Club International opposes the listing of giraffes under the Endangered Species Act (ESA). Not only is listing unnecessary, but it would likely harm giraffe populations in the countries where giraffes are thriving, and which rely on regulated hunting to fund their national conservation programs.

In response to petitions filed by anti-hunting groups, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) has made a finding that the listing of giraffe subspecies under the ESA is potentially warranted. This means that the FWS is willing to consider—but has not yet decided—whether listing is appropriate.

An ESA listing simply would not benefit the giraffe. The ESA is a U.S. law. It provides a host of protections for domestic species, including habitat protections and recovery planning. But the ESA does not and cannot extend these same protections to foreign species. For this reason, a recent study found no evidence that listing foreign species under the ESA improves their population status. The authors instead concluded that the benefits of listing foreign species under the ESA are "severely limited" while the costs are quite high.

Further, listing giraffes will likely do them harm. Giraffe populations are thriving in the countries where the species is legally hunted. Namibia, South Africa and Zimbabwe account for 98% of giraffe hunting trophies imported into the U.S. and, according to the International Union for Conservation of Nature, giraffe populations in these countries have more than doubled (from a combined 23,000 to nearly 52,000) since the 1970s. Giraffes in these countries are doing significantly better than those inhabiting countries where giraffe hunting is not permitted.

Why the difference? Countries like Namibia, South Africa and Zimbabwe rely on the revenues and incentives from regulated hunting to protect extensive tracts of habitat, fund anti-poaching and improve rural community livelihoods. Many species, including giraffes, benefit from this investment in conservation. An ESA listing, however, allows the FWS to potentially impose restrictions or even prohibit the import of lawfully-hunted giraffe trophies. These measures would reduce U.S. hunters' willingness to pay top-dollar for giraffe hunts.

Without offering anything in return, an ESA listing could reduce the revenues and incentives currently being generated by hunting. That means reduced habitat protection, less funding for anti-poaching and fewer benefits for the rural people who live side-by-side with giraffes and other wildlife. SCI opposes the proposed listing because it is a bad bargain for the giraffe.

Source: Safari Club International (SCI)

Attachments

• DC27D348E813F8172F76D6DBB9DDED17.pdf
    131.1 KB · Views: 266
Every American I've personally met has been a top person. But as a country (which is to say probably politically) sometimes they're frustrating with the whole world police mentality. Imagine the kick back if African countries started to try and dictate how America manages it's wildlife. Hopefully goes nowhere.

How can the U.S. antis ignore this:

Namibia, South Africa and Zimbabwe account for 98% of giraffe hunting trophies imported into the U.S. and, according to the International Union for Conservation of Nature, giraffe populations in these countries have more than doubled (from a combined 23,000 to nearly 52,000) since the 1970s.

Attachments

• DC27D348E813F8172F76D6DBB9DDED17.pdf
    131.1 KB · Views: 214
Trump should completely revamp the USFW and put people in charge that are not afraid to do what is right. One wonders if Trump has the guts to do so. He has basically abandoned sportsman.

It wouldn't be so bad if they would make the distinction the plentiful and healthy southern races and the genuinely imperiled northern races and only list them but I don't have faith in their wisdom

Every American I've personally met has been a top person. But as a country (which is to say probably politically) sometimes they're frustrating with the whole world police mentality. Imagine the kick back if African countries started to try and dictate how America manages it's wildlife. Hopefully goes nowhere.

Very true. ESA was never intended for this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross