Contributor
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.africanindaba.co.za
Media
Articles
Member of
CIC, Rowland Ward, B&C, DSC, German Hunting Association, KZN Hunting Association, Wild Sheep Foundation
Hunted
Western US, Western Canada, Alaska, Colombia, Tajikistan, Russian Federation, China, Iran, Austria, Germany, Spain, Czech Republic, UK, Indonesia, South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Congo, Tanzania, Uganda, Botswana, Namibia
SCI on Rhino Poaching
Nelson Freeman

Safari Club International (SCI) condemns the recent poaching of white rhinoceros in South Africa committed by criminals posing as legitimate hunters. This elaborate impersonation scheme has allowed several poachers to obtain rhino hunting permits, then put the rhino horn into the illegal commercial trade.

SCI President Dr. Lawrence Rudolph applauds the new laws that the South African Minister of Water and Environmental Affairs, Buyelwa Sonjica, has introduced to deal with this and pledged SCI’s support to raise awareness of this issue. “We call upon the officials of other governments, both those that may be involved in the export of the illegal rhino parts and those on the importing end, to work closely with South Africa to put an end to this trade and upon hunt outfitters to report any suspicious approaches to the authorities,” said Dr. Rudolph.

Dr. Rudolph also expressed support for the statement by Peter Butland, the President of the Professional Hunters Association of South Africa (PHASA), that likewise condemned this illegal practice. The PHASA statement noted Butland’s “extreme concern” about legitimate hunting being associated in any way with poaching and illegal trade.Dr. Rudolph went on to explain that funds from legitimate hunters who have taken white rhinos legally in South Africa for many years have led to a resurgence of the white rhinos in that country. “Legitimate hunters are proud to have been a part of bringing this great animal back from the brink of extinction”.

Dr. Rudolph said, “and SCI does not want to see established international conservation work and the good name of the hunting community spoiled by criminals posing as hunters.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoraceBrei

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!