SCI & DSC Convention- What hunt will you be looking to for the future?

Justbryan

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
South Africa, New Zealand, USA, Canada,
I am headed to Africa next August for night hunts and more of the tiny ten. But I will be looking at the Dallas Safari Club Convention for my next hunt. What are you looking for next?

I am looking at Australia, Spain, Turkey, Romania, Alaska, Mexico, and western USA. I have a $10,000 budget for the next hunt. I really want something different. I have hunted Africa (3 times), Argentina, New Zealand (2 times), western USA, Texas (many times), Canada (whitetail), etc. I want to hunt Cameroon and Tanzania someday, but it is more than my budget will allow. My second choice would be Australia.

Top of my list for animals is bongo, sitatunga, black lechwe, Australian buffalo, grizzly bear, moose, elephant (all these are too expensive), hippo, mule deer, pronghorn antelope, roe deer, etc. Any suggestions for my next hunt? List contact person with suggestions.

A tracking hunt for eland in the Kalahari. I’m not really looking as I already know I’m going with Werner Lombard at Bokamoso. It’s really just an issue of schedule.

I have hunted RSA 4 times. I will be at DSC looking for a non exportable Elephant hunt I can afford for 2024 possibly. I have two outfitters in mind I want to visit with.

I have hunted RSA 4 times. I will be at DSC looking for a non exportable Elephant hunt I can afford for 2024 possibly. I have two outfitters in mind I want to visit with.
This would be an interesting hunt.

A tracking hunt for eland in the Kalahari. I’m not really looking as I already know I’m going with Werner Lombard at Bokamoso. It’s really just an issue of schedule.
I have done the eland hunt and they can walk you to death. It seems like when they spook they don't stop for a few miles. Crazy hunt. How can something this big be so agile?

Top of my list for animals is bongo, sitatunga, black lechwe, Australian buffalo, grizzly bear, moose, elephant (all these are too expensive), hippo, mule deer, pronghorn antelope, roe deer, etc. Any suggestions for my next hunt?
I work with similar budget. Unless hit some lucky offer, bongo or sitatunga will be hard to get, on this dime.

But of above list, in this level of budget:
Buffalo bull
Buffalo cow
Tuskless elephant
Non export elephant, late season, or discounted. Not always around
Non trophy elephant, late season, discounted, special offer. Not always around
Hippo is below 10 k in average, look for it.
Canecellation hunts on above

Roe deer absolutely. Anywhere in Europe, take a look at Serbia, Croatia as well.
Brown bear - Croatia.
Moose: the most economic moose hunt (not considering return tickets) is driven moose hunt, Sweden. But, there is no guarantee you will get a moose. You will get a chance if the dogs and beaters drive the moose to your location.

I work with similar budget. Unless hit some lucky offer, bongo or sitatunga will be hard to get, on this dime.

But of above list, in this level of budget:
Buffalo bull
Buffalo cow
Tuskless elephant
Non export elephant, late season, or discounted. Not always around
Non trophy elephant, late season, discounted, special offer. Not always around
Hippo is below 10 k in average, look for it.
Canecellation hunts on above

Roe deer absolutely. Anywhere in Europe, take a look at Serbia, Croatia as well.
Brown bear - Croatia.
Moose: the most economic moose hunt (not considering return tickets) is driven moose hunt, Sweden. But, there is no guarantee you will get a moose. You will get a chance if the dogs and beaters drive the moose to your location.
I have looked at these European options and I will certainly look at DSC convention for any of these. Thanks for the suggestion. Has anyone done a brown bear hunt in Europe (not Russia)? I would also do an elephant hunt in my price range.

Population of bears in Croatia is about 1.300, increasing. About 100-120 are on annual quota.
Other countries to hunt bear are Bosnia and Bulgaria.

Here is one report on the forum.

I have a hunt booked in Australia in 2023 for buffalo, but at DSC in January, I will be talking to outfitters in Northern New Mexico about an elk hunt. Been to Africa 5 times, but never hunted elk here in the U.S. Go figure.

Brown bears also huntable in Estonia and/or Latvia and in Finland that I know of.

I have a hunt booked in Australia in 2023 for buffalo, but at DSC in January, I will be talking to outfitters in Northern New Mexico about an elk hunt. Been to Africa 5 times, but never hunted elk here in the U.S. Go figure.
I hunted my first black bear and elk in the last two years. Hunted all over the world but not our western backyard.

I have done the eland hunt and they can walk you to death. It seems like when they spook they don't stop for a few miles. Crazy hunt. How can something this big be so agile?

I’ve taken a couple. We followed one for 3 1/2 days! I’m a bit odd, I don’t care about collecting a bunch of species, I want to follow good trackers through the bush with a rifle slung over my shoulder. A long track and a single shot is worth the flight to Africa for me.

I have looked at these European options and I will certainly look at DSC convention for any of these. Thanks for the suggestion. Has anyone done a brown bear hunt in Europe (not Russia)? I would also do an elephant hunt in my price range.
I’d be very careful with European brown bear inside your budget. It’s not an inexpensive hunt and all I’ve seen are charged in CIC score of skull. I think would be very difficult to know exactly what you’d pay before pulling trigger.

For Spain, I think you’ll approach your budget rapidly with anything more than one representative class animal, but a Monteria is a really unique experience. I hunted a Monteria with Espacaza in 2019. I chose one of their lower trophy option Monterias but took 4 decent stags, 4 hinds, and 2 boars for about $4000 then paired that hunt with an ibex. They have slightly more expensive Monterias where you can get really nice trophies still inside $10k. Many Spanish outfitters offer Monterias. Mine was 24 hunters, a several thousand acre farm, maybe a 100+ dogs over 2 days. Hunting a single red stag during roar in September or maybe two roe buck in spring would fall inside your budget easily too.

I’d also look more towards eastern and Central Europe for much better pricing. I love roe deer hunting and it’s off season so you can hunt spring/early summer and rut in late July/early August. The Romania sponsor here has some really interesting packages and great pricing I think would be worth investigating. I hunted Poland with a different organization this year (and 2019) and had a great hunt that would be easily inside your budget. Here’s my report on that hunt. Seems like western Poland has better pricing but not the trophy quality. Spain has really exceptional roe deer but the pricing is high compared to other countries.

I’d be very careful with European brown bear inside your budget. It’s not an inexpensive hunt and all I’ve seen are charged in CIC score of skull. I think would be very difficult to know exactly what you’d pay before pulling trigger.
This is my worry. If it were a roe deer well still in budget but a bear can easily cause issues with the budget. I don't like not knowing the cost till the animal is on the ground.

This is my worry. If it were a roe deer well still in budget but a bear can easily cause issues with the budget. I don't like not knowing the cost till the animal is on the ground.
Depending on the area, a gold medal 500,600,700+ gram roe buck might cost you more than a bear! Luckily lots of fixed pricing available for roe deer.

For Spain, I think you’ll approach your budget rapidly with anything more than one representative class animal, but a Monteria is a really unique experience. I hunted a Monteria with Espacaza in 2019. I chose one of their lower trophy option Monterias but took 4 decent stags, 4 hinds, and 2 boars for about $4000 then paired that hunt with an ibex. They have slightly more expensive Monterias where you can get really nice trophies still inside $10k. Many Spanish outfitters offer Monterias. Mine was 24 hunters, a several thousand acre farm, maybe a 100+ dogs over 2 days. Hunting a single red stag during roar in September or maybe two roe buck in spring would fall inside your budget easily too.

I’d also look more towards eastern and Central Europe for much better pricing. I love roe deer hunting and it’s off season so you can hunt spring/early summer and rut in late July/early August. The Romania sponsor here has some really interesting packages and great pricing I think would be worth investigating. I hunted Poland with a different organization this year (and 2019) and had a great hunt that would be easily inside your budget. Here’s my report on that hunt. Seems like western Poland has better pricing but not the trophy quality. Spain has really exceptional roe deer but the pricing is high compared to other countries.
I read your report when it was posted. My wife is voting for Spain but again I have heard a lot of stories about being over charged and up selling in Spain.

Looking for my 1st wild Buffalo hunt. I want to discuss the details in person in Nashville. Hope to have 2 - 3 Outfitters lined up prior.

Could be easily like that, Tanks.
Buffalo is now first on my list, then will be looking for rest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasS111

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!