AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA; PZŁ, KŁ Sęp
Hunted
Australia, Poland
Hi guys,
I know that thankfully AH is not one of the "tactical", zombie invasion type forums and AR15s may not be everyone's cup of tea but this is precisely why I'm asking here. I want to start shooting IPSC and am wondering if anyone here has any experience with the German made Schmeisser AR-15 pattern guns?

I had a chance to shoot their Dynamic model at the range today. Having never handled this type of a firearm before I was expecting typical harsh, combat firearm type trigger and manipulation. However much to my surprise the gun had a superb, match type trigger with very short reset (comes like this from the factory). It had a 16" barrel, was quite light and very accurate. Accuracy wise the limiting factor was the red dot optic on top of it with a rather large dot.

Does anyone have any experience with Schmeisser?

https://schmeisser-germany.com/products/ar15-dynamic/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 10.08.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 10.08.13 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 531
  • Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 10.08.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 10.08.18 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 260
  • Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 10.08.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 10.08.21 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 197
Last edited by a moderator:
I have no experience with Schmeisser AR15's...

What I can tell you is there is a HUGE difference in your typical mil-spec rifle and "budget" rifles that are manufactured by countless companies in the US and high quality rifles (not mil-spec in most cases) made by companies like LMT, LaRue, Daniel Defense, etc..

As a rule, budget guns are fine for playing at the range.. and will work great for home defense etc.. in many cases they are every bit as accurate and reliable as the higher end rifles that cost 3x-5x as much..

but if youre talking hard use or competition.. where the gun is going to be subjected to a high round count and put under some significant stress with any regularity (high volume of fire in a short period of time.. exposed to harsh elements.. etc).. the difference in the typical "budget" gun and a known quality manufacturer like LaRue is like night and day..

Most budget guns wont survive a couple of intense 3-gun competitions..

Definitely spend the extra money and go with a known premium manufacturer (or build your own with premium components... AR's are incredibly easy to build.. I just built another lower receiver earlier this week.. it took me less than 30 minutes and required nothing except a set of allen wrenches, some punches, and a rubber mallet..).. The Schmeisser appears to be a "premium" gun (although, again, I have no personal experience with Schmeisser AR's)..

I know AR's are generally the bane of many AH'ers existence... I'm probably one of the exceptions here.. I've got 4x AR's in the safe built for different purposes and specs.. one is a dedicated Texas "pig hunting" rifle.. one is a dedicated home defense gun.. one is a "range toy" designed for longer range/precision shooting, and one is built more along the lines of a competition rifle (I dont compete anymore.. but years ago I did quite a bit of ISPC, IDPA, and 3 gun shooting)..

Personally.. I love AR's :)

If you don't find an answer here, join the AR15.com forum and try there. I would guess they would have one or even multiple threads on your subject matter.

Definitely spend the extra money and go with a known premium manufacturer (or build your own with premium components... AR's are incredibly easy to build.. I just built another lower receiver earlier this week.. it took me less than 30 minutes and required nothing except a set of allen wrenches, some punches, and a rubber mallet..).. The Schmeisser appears to be a "premium" gun (although, again, I have no personal experience with Schmeisser AR's)..

Building one is not really an option for me. I'm in Europe and while it's possible it would require a major f... around to buy all the parts and sort the paperwork out for it. The price of Schmeisser is similar to Daniel Defence around here. I agree with you it's worth spending extra cash on it. I'm definitely not gonna go cheap on that gun because I know it will cost me more in the long run anyway. This will be a competition gun and as such will have a somewhat hard life. I maintain all of my equipment well but I don't buy safe queens.

Last edited:
I had the opportunity to test one, and it functioned flawlessly.

I don't have an AR - but people on the local (Finnish) action shooter's forum seem happy with their Schmeissers. Schmeisser does produce many different AR models, so prices and features vary.
https://schmeisser-germany.com/product-categories/ar-15-models/

Starting IPSC Rifle, you might want to consider which Division you want. Standard is iron sights and no bipods (among other limitations). Competitive Open rifles usually have two optics (variable, and dot mounted to the side), and competitors use a variety of bipods and other supports. Any optic puts you in Open, unless you have some regional "provisional" Division between Standard and Open.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 10.21.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 10.21.29 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 441
  • Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 10.21.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 10.21.32 AM.png
    640 KB · Views: 344
  • Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 10.21.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 10.21.34 AM.png
    450 KB · Views: 247
Only European one I have is oberland arms one...had no problem with it but never put that many rounds through it ...probably Max couple hundred at one time... I was surprised when I asked Mr Google a few weeks ago and it showed more European manufacturers than I thought making AR type rifles. Thanks for info on another one....I also like them

My favorite Euro-AR producer is Uronen Precision https://www.asejaosa.fi/index.php?id_category=25&controller=category&id_lang=2

Not exactly cheap.
They are also getting ready to sell a Pistol Caliber Carbine. They have figured out an action that functions smoother than others. Most PCCs are blow back. This is something different (they aren't going into details yet). Looks smooth and "flat" on video.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 10.23.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 10.23.23 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 245
  • Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 10.23.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 10.23.25 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 148
  • Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 10.23.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 10.23.27 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 186
  • Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 10.23.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 10.23.29 AM.png
    948.7 KB · Views: 174
@Opposite Pole
I made downpayment for Schmeisser DMR 18, ar15. (for competition shooting purpose).
Can you give me your impressions and feedback on accuracy and quality of your rifle?

I know its an older thread, buy google search has brought me again to your post on AH....

Very happy with it. Mine is a “dynamic” model with short, light profile barrel. DMR model has a different barrel and tigger. They are quality products, I think you’ll be satisfied. Since buying the rifle I’ve also bought their 1911 pistol and AR15-9 PCC, happy with the lot.

Thanks! I choose DMR model for prone position semi auto rifle precision shooting, competiton. Hope i made a good choice.

Here is my pair, 9x19mm has a 10.5” barrel, the 223 is 14.5” (1:9 twist). The 9mm accepts standard Glock magazines.
IMG_5677.JPG

@mark-hunter : pictures please! :)
Delivey of rifle will be in not less then 2 months. Sorry, cannot post first hand pics before that.
But, i will attached a pic from their web site.

The purpose of rifle will be prone shooting / competition in semi auto class, 200 meters. So, for that purpose I have chosen this type. But looking on what they have, it was hard choice between what all I would like and they have on offer, and what I will need, for purpose intended.

second option was Daniel Defense, same delivery time or longer, but I went the route of European factory in case of warranty and any eventual costumer support.

Twist rate for this rifle is 1/8. Barrel is button rifled.
My guess that DMR in model name stands for designated marksman rifle, suggesting optimized accuracy, although true DMR is made in high power caliber. (like m14, or Dragunov)

Additonal equipment supplied with rifle: 1 magazine, transport case, and bi-pod.
The list of additional equipment which I will take:
- 2 spare mags
- iron sights
- 45 degree red dot mount

Next step will be to decide on scope, and scope mount. I have no clue yet what to fit, but I have 2 months to decide.

@Opposite Pole
Nice set up, of yours. Are you Shooting PCC, some IPSC? Three gun matches? Or just for pleasure at range?

Schmeisser AR15 DMR 18''.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swasel

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!