Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, NAHC, NRA, ATA, Ducks Unlimited
Hunted
Africa, Costa Rica, Peru, Canada, USA
Dear Fellow Hunters....

I would just like to alert each and every one of you before you spend that hard-earned
money to fly away to the dream hunt.

This is the second time that US AIRWAYS has deceptively managed to gain business
based on their dividend miles and have not come through.

More recently, I booked a trip with US Airways to Northern Quebec on a moose hunt. The
rep (who's name was erased from the computer reservation system according to a supervisor)
stated that I had to book two separate flights...one with US Airways to Montreal and one
with Air Canada to Val D'Or (northern Quebec). My question was that since I am booking
using the Star Alliance through US Airways (both US Airways and Air Canada are members),
why can't you see the Air Canada flights. The rep stated that sometimes "they don't let
us see their flights"...Duh, then why have an "alliance". I booked the two flights not realizing
that this "gimmick" will cause me to pay BAGGAGE FEES for TWO airlines...once when I
get on the US Airways flight to Montreal and secondly when I get on the flight to Val D'Or, Quebec.

I finally realized this but it was too late, and customer service on BOTH airlines chose not to
want to help instead saying it was the other airline's fault.....once again, why do these companies
keep calling this an alliance. Needless to say, I not only had to pay additional baggage fees
when I arrived in Montreal from the US but ALSO had to go through CUSTOM'S inspection
again! This was a real thrill! Someone walking around all of those non-hunting PETA people
with firearms in this day and age....I really felt my money was well spent by now! NOT!

To sum things up, on the way back my outfitter did accompany me to the airport and for some
strange reason the rep cooperated and sent all of my luggage straight through to it destination
in the US! He had told her that this does not happen to any of his FRENCH customers so why
are you doing this to AMERICANS?!!! Something does not smell right here!!!

-------

On a previous trip to South Africa, I used US Airways (a good old American company...I thought),
who made the reservations which would have resulted in my obtaining dividend miles for the
several thousand miles of traveling. As US Airlines is a member of the Star Alliance
which includes such airlines as Air Canada, United, South African Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines etc. it
is possible to book reservation with co-companies within the STAR ALLIANCE through US Airways
and in return the process is easier, bags should travel straight through to the destination AND
I get my hands on some good DIVIDEND MILES (or so little old me thought).

After returning to the USA from a successful hunt, I was disappointed to hear from a USA AIRWAYS
rep that I needed to keep the Boarding Pass to claim the miles. By now that little piece of paper
was either so smudged and unintelligible from traveling back from a couple of weeks in the
bush (even if I could find it) that it would not have made a difference. I stated to several US AIRWAYS
reps AND supervisors that the flight was booked through US Airways and that a computer system
could easily provide them with all of the pertinent reservation data. Of course, as the true drones
they are, the reps AND SUPERVISORS both kept insisting on this little piece of paper to claim those points.

Needless to say, I am starting another dividend mileage program with Delta and United
and will not use US Airways anymore than is absolutely necessary. And yes, they
were reminded that their little Dividend Mileage program is an incentive to continue to
use US Airways....do you relaly think that this would make the gears start turning in their
little minds...Hades NO!!!!

BEWARE the dividend mile AND separate flight booking SCAM for you next hunt! It could cost you
dearly as it cost me!

That is unfortunate, but one reason I try to use a travel agent (and a hunting smart one like Gracy). Gracy Travel handled reservations to Windhoek last year, and I had provided them with my United frequent flyer information. We were credited seamlessly for every mile of our trans-Atlantic South African Airways flight (Star Alliance) with no problems at all - even received the plus-up miles for flying business class.

I have had a similar experience this year with United/South African Airways. Full "miles" credit for US miles, but only 1/2 miles for Dulles-Johannesburg and back on SAA. Finally got those only after after calling...but they said the 1/2 miles were "SAA" policy. So much for the Star Alliance. PS: The whole trip: Reno-Dulles-Johannesburg-Kimberly and back were booked through United Airlines. I am going to check with my travel agent...but I think they (United/Star Alliance) are the problem. Caveat emptor!

Thanks for the heads up. I'm a little leary of using air miles anyway I was going to buy my Daughter a ticket from Dallas to Huntsville on United Airlines less then 900 car miles but the ticket would be 10,000 air miles now how is that?

Only they know! They offered a HUGE bonus in miles...if you signed up for their credit card...hmmmm! credit card! Didn't sound like a good idea then...nor now.

Only they know! They offered a HUGE bonus in miles...if you signed up for their credit card...hmmmm! credit card! Didn't sound like a good idea then...nor now.
If you want to accumulate and use frequent flyer miles, then a credit card can be a good deal. You just have to watch the fine print. On United, you have to have account activity at least 1x/year. In these uncertain times, a credit card is a good way to do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richardparker

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross