brushmore

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
I came across this news story about Supreme Court Justice Scalia:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...77af38-db20-11e5-891a-4ed04f4213e8_story.html

I know the intention of this article was a hit piece on Scalia but I saw it a completely different as a hunter. First, I already admired Saclia for many things but to know he was also into hunting was icing on the cake.

It was also really interesting to learn about International Order of St. Hubertus. The article made it sound like they are some kind of nefarious secret society but I wonder what kind of secret society has a website!: http://www.iosh-usa.com/about_us However, it doesn't look they would take anyone as a member but that's the point of pretty much any club. One of my favorites parts of hunting are the traditions so it's nice see groups like this still around. I found it fascinating that Herman Göring wanted to be a member but they turned him down, which did not turn out well for the guy in charge at the time!

Just heard this on CBS news this morning. It was already reported that he was in Texas hunting. I found the hunting aspect to add to my high opinion of the Justice.

I was wondering the same thing @Wheels ! But something I also learned is that Saint Hubertus is the patron saint of hunters. It seems like he was one of the first ethical hunters.

The Order of St. Hubertus is a legitimate order in the nobility, chartered by a crown sort of sense. Two prince/duke/kings I believe are the current leaders of the order (Austria and Hungary?). I know the Spanish royal family has been involved with the order for many years. They legitimately are chartered by royal warrant and the members are knights and squires. It is not the kind of organization where you apply for membership, rather you are invited in by nobles or barons of industry that have put your name forward.

It appears to be a wonderful order and while I'll never be offered membership, I'm glad they still exist.

The current Grand Master is His Imperial Highness Istvan von Habsburg-Lothringen, Archduke of Austria and Royal Prince of Hungary.

He holds both titles as his family, the Habsburgs, ruled over the combined Austro-Hungarian Empire.

Back when the Austro-Hungarian Empire existed, the head of the Habsburg family was both an emperor and a king. This distinction manifested itself in ways like the Army and Navy being titled "kaiserliche und koenigliche Kriegsmarine" or "KuK Kriegsmarine." Translated, this means "Imperial and Royal War Navy."

Hi guys.
I am hunter 39 years and I am not a member of the Order of St. Hubertus.
In Poland St. Hubertus is the patron of hunters.
I think that this is an elite hunter who hunts fair play.
Witold

The Order of St. Hubertus is a legitimate order in the nobility, chartered by a crown sort of sense. Two prince/duke/kings I believe are the current leaders of the order (Austria and Hungary?). I know the Spanish royal family has been involved with the order for many years. They legitimately are chartered by royal warrant and the members are knights and squires. It is not the kind of organization where you apply for membership, rather you are invited in by nobles or barons of industry that have put your name forward.

It appears to be a wonderful order and while I'll never be offered membership, I'm glad they still exist.

Is this a Catholic Order like the Jesuits, Franciscans, Opus Dei, etc.?

If so, do you have to be Catholic to be a member?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marplot

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois