Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
I picked up one of these used a few years ago. I thought it would make a good calling gun for predators. Never could get it to shoot a decent group. I really doubt that a single shot could be shot out. Anybody have any experience with one of these?

I have one in 223 over 12 gauge.

The 223 is a slow twist, 1:14 so if you are shooting bullets weights over 55 grains it may not group. I'm using the old style 45gr Barnes X bullets seated as deep as they will go and it shoots well.

Only gun I don't reload for. Have a bunch of Russian ammo and some bulk stuff from Cabela's. My Remington shot the stuff well. May have to buy some dies.

Only gun I don't reload for. Have a bunch of Russian ammo and some bulk stuff from Cabela's. My Remington shot the stuff well. May have to buy some dies.

Maybe try a box of 50gr before springing for dies? I can send you my load if you decide to go down the reloading path.

I have one in .222 / 20 gouge and it shoots tight groups but is slow twisted so you have to shoot a short bullet for it to stabilize.

The Russian ammo will most probably be 70 gr and will not stabilize in that twist.

The Russian Wolf ammo is 55 grain hollow points. I think I'll look for the lightest factory ammo and give them a go.

UMC (Remington) has a 45 gr load you might try. Fiocchi and Federal American Eagle both have a 50gr. Try finding them on Ammoseek.com
Best of luck!

P.S. you might try looking at the muzzle to see if it needs crowning. See MidwayUSA video library for a cheap how to.

Thanks I checked that our.

I'll check that out. Spell check

I agree with jeff; my dad had a Model 24 that was 222 over 20 ga. It was reasonably accurate- about 2" groups at 100 yards with factory 50 grain bullets. He didn't handload and that was before the ammo companies were making the heavy .22 bullets, so I suspect it was designed for 50 grain bullets and wouldn't stabilize the heavier ones of today.

I'm glad I posted this question as I had about given up on it.

It worked the groups tightened up with 50 grain bullets

I used my dads for years growing up and it was a .22 magnum over 20 gauge. It shot the .22 mag ok but the sights need to be adjusted to shoot for the .22 or the 20 gauge. It would be a rarity to find one of these that is actually "regulated" my dads always was sighted for the .22 and the 20 gauge patterned about a foot to the right a 35 yards. That said, the .22 mag worked well and it rode around with him in his truck for years as a NYS DEC Forest Ranger to put down deer hit by drivers. Seemed to kill them just fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KristineGr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg