Savage 116 in .375H&H

CBH Australia

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
Does anyone know about these? Stainless walnut and available for sale. i like the look of it but it might be the type that is getting bad reviews elsewhere,
im after a .375H&H in Australia and was hoping for a CZ550 but looking at others

guerin-2019-03-20_03-17-02-PM.jpg

Attachments

• guerin-2019-03-20_03-17-02-PM.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 289
Last edited by a moderator:
I had one of these in my shop that was chambered in .458 Winchester. I never fired the rifle before it was sold so I can't offer much other than I found the magazine to be a pain to load. It is different than your typical magazine rifle.

The Savage 110s are one of the rifles that the state has for use by Hunter Education Instructors, along with Rugers and the Mossberg Non-firing guns. they see a lot of use by club-fisted students and are treated with what most people would consider abuse. Still they keep on functioning as intended, which says a lot about their design. I still have trouble figuring out the various combinations for removing the bolt, but it's a matter of me not being familiar with the system. they seem to be well made and accurate rifles, particularly considering the sales price.

The Savage 110s are one of the rifles that the state has for use by Hunter Education Instructors, along with Rugers and the Mossberg Non-firing guns. they see a lot of use by club-fisted students and are treated with what most people would consider abuse. Still they keep on functioning as intended, which says a lot about their design. I still have trouble figuring out the various combinations for removing the bolt, but it's a matter of me not being familiar with the system. they seem to be well made and accurate rifles, particularly considering the sales price.

It also has to do with Savage not being able to decide how the hell they want to remove the bolt.

I can’t speak to the .375, but I’ve owned several Savages and all of them were well-built and more accurate that I am. If this one was stateside, I’d want it.

I had one of these in my shop that was chambered in .458 Winchester. I never fired the rifle before it was sold so I can't offer much other than I found the magazine to be a pain to load. It is different than your typical magazine rifle.
The rifle in question is a 116-SE which was manufactured from 2000-2002 in .375 H&H. The 116-SE
was advertised with controlled round feed. The Savage version of controlled round feed was unique to the 116-SE. I would be interested to know if they used that system on all of the 116-SE models regardless of caliber?

I;ve got quite a few savages. I would sure like to own that one.

I bought a 375 2-3 years ago. Savage only had 2 choices.
One, had no sights on it, so scope only.
The other was plain jane, which was OK but the barrel was shorter than I desired.

I ended up paying too much money for a Nosler rifle. I like it, but if I had a chance to get that rifle you're putting up, it'd be an easy choice....Savage.
wish I had bought the Savage Bear Hunter and paid to have iron sights put on it. when I bought mine.

I own several Savages. They have simple actions, great barrels and nice actions

Not a bad looking gun! Except for the end of the barrel. How much are they asking for it out of curiosity?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 5.51.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 5.51.17 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 321
Interesting rifle but at the same price as a M70, I would have to go with a proven heavyweight.

I think it was $1750 Aussie dollars so $1200 American?

I’m not a collector and I can only justify one big bore. It seems to have a nice stock but I think it’s the first I ever saw listed.

Interesting rifle but at the same price as a M70, I would have to go with a proven heavyweight.
But it does have a brake that you can turn on and off with a 22" barrel and holds 4+1 in the magazine.
M70 barrel is 24, no brake and is only 3+1.

I had one of the Savage SEs in 458 for a few months, probably went through two boxes of Remington factory loads. I never had a complaint against it. The muzzle brake worked consistently and didn't change point of impact as far as I could tell. I ended up sending it down the road due to the fact that there are not too many charging elephants in the middle of Kansas lol. Also I'm a lefty and wanted a 375 Ruger more.

Done a deal on a .375H&H CZ550, Thanks all
The stainless pictured might have been nice but the CZ came up

If you only own one heavy rifle like you say, and you're looking for rifles in that price range, I think you made the best decision with the CZ 550 in 375HH.

Does anyone know about these? Stainless walnut and available for sale. i like the look of it but it might be the type that is getting bad reviews elsewhere,
im after a .375H&H in Australia and was hoping for a CZ550 but looking at others

@CBH Australia
If it's savage it's good.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg