Saturday’s stirring

I haven't shot a Springbok and of the pigs I shoot there are no monster pigs as such. I would think tthe.308 has gained popularity with pig hunters in Australia the knowledgeable and the less desirable. Its readily sourced and also adopted by government agencies and the like.

The .243 running a ballistic tip 95gr @ 3075fos drops Springbok like they were electrocuted out to 400m.
@Hearties
Have you chronoed that o r is that what the book says.
In 2 different 243s loaded with the same projectiles and a max charge of AR 22O8/ VARGET OR AR2209/H4350 the best velocities we could get out of either was 2,860fps and that was out of 22 inch barrel and chronoed.
I'm not saying you are not getting those velocities it's just that I and other C ant seem to get it.
87 grain hornaday VMax are struggling to get 3,100 with max loads as well.
Bob

I haven't shot a Springbok and of the pigs I shoot there are no monster pigs as such. I would think tthe.308 has gained popularity with pig hunters in Australia the knowledgeable and the less desirable. Its readily sourced and also adopted by government agencies and the like.
I shoot a lot of crop pigs between 80-100kg and IMHO 308 is only just enough gun, especially at longer distances 150-200m you start to lose knock down power, then they make it into the cane and you get to have the fun of following them up in there (not fun). In a perfect world the pigs would stand still and you can make a head shot but that nearly never happens where I am.

I understand. Just saying I thinks it might be pretty common for use on pigs in Australia.
80kg would be on the bigger end for here and not so common.
I don't always get a headshot opportunity but if it presents it's a clean kill and effective when underfunded. P

If I did rationalise and have just a couple to hunt with maybe I would want a medium with a little better performance than the .308 as a hunting rifle.

.25-06 or 6.5x55 have ithere merits I lived where was shooting dingoes regularly I would think these would be ideal to use From the vehicle. I’ve shot some and seen plenty walk out past 300 before presenting a shot . They get gun shy real quick if you miss.
Even .6.5cm might find it’s niche there. I met one property owner using a .260rem, not common in those parts but I bet he knew he was getting another built On some good gear and I realised he knew what he was doing.

See, that’s what I’m thinking, something Classic, something with some allure and Not run of the mill. And something that performs on all counts and counts when it hits.
Then it comes down to splitting hairs between .280 and 7x64 from what I read, then someone says .280ai,

I had forgotten the .260 till now, They come up reasonably priced as they are not so common and not highly sort after iby the masses, closely followed by 7mm-08, I’ve seen some good deals on them too.

Genuinely considering something and wanting a good all rounder for Australia. Something I can keep and shoot into later life comfortably, especially if I reduce my selection for any reason. The 7mm-08 fits the bill but some of these others have an edge on that From what I read.
I have a 7mm-08. Nice shooter, drops caribou with ease, and I could shoot it all day long. I just figured you already had a 7mm, so....

.26-06 or a .270 would work great. Seems like either will fill the gap in your current gun closet. Do you get shots over 300 meters very often?

I’d then put a very high end scope on the rifle. With really good glass, I bet you’ll be more likely to pick that rifle off the wall first.

My favorite case is the 404 Jeffery. If bullet makers would have the variety of bullets for it that they do for the 375, it would be my favorite cartridge. Common cup & core bullets of 250 grain for plinking and light game up to the 450s presently available for the heavy stuff, with a variety filling in-between would make it truely the most useful cartridge.

Not sure if Hodgdon's StaBALL 6.5 is available where you are, but with my .243 Win I get 3195 fps with a Nosler 95 grain Partition out of my Weatherby Vanguard 24" barrel without any signs of pressure problems. Drops Nevada antelope on the spot every time. My longest shot was 2 years ago - 377 yards. The only issue is wind drift with such a light bullet. I have now switched to a Ruger African rifle in .280 Ackley Improved and 160 grain Partitions over 54.5 grains of RAMSHOT Big Game powder; chronographed at 2860 fps. I am expecting much less wind drift with this set up.

@BeeMaa
I have seen goats, pigs and deer wounded by the 243 loaded with 90 grain balistic tips, 87 gn VMax, 87gn Speer and Sierra. Maybe the 95 grain SSTs, and 100grain round nose may work but I've seen to many failures even with good chest shots to change e my mind. A 50kg sow hit with a 90 grain balistic tip at 40 yards just had a nice 6mm hole so each side of its chest, a 90 kg boar same bullet at around 150 yards in the e same spot just ran off. He was finished off at 286 yards with a 117grain SST out of my 25.
Bob
The Hornady V-Max bullet is a fragmenting bullet designed for Prairie Dogs.
Using that bullet on "goats, pigs and deer" would be less than ideal.
And I would not be surprised if you experienced wounded animals as a result.

The Hornady SST was specifically designed for game up to Deer.
Probably what should be used in the first place over a V-Max.

So, I go back to my earlier post where I mention proper bullet selection.
You and your son are certainly entitled to your opinion on the 243WIN.
But I will have to respectfully disagree...

The fact of the matter is that it's adequate for up to Deer sized game.
Proper bullet selection, reasonable ranges and shot placement are the critical factors.
Just like a 375 is adequate for DG, but a .40 caliber would be preferred.
A 243WIN will get the job done...Varmints to Deer...done.
:A Stirring::A Popcorn:
You did not mention what other bullets except to say "ballistic tip".
And that applies to anything with a polymer tip regardless of the intended game.
So I looked up Speer "hunting" bullets in .243 caliber and all were soft points.
Sierra's (90 grain TGK) .243 bullet is the lightest, polymer tipped and rated for hunting game.
Sierra makes an 85 grain GK, but that bullet lacks a polymer tip.
So what bullet was being used to cause so many injured game animals?

Do not blame the cartridge when the bullet is not being used for the intended purpose.

And that applies to anything with a polymer tip regardless of the intended game.
So I looked up Speer "hunting" bullets in .243 caliber and all were soft points.
Sierra's (90 grain TGK) .243 bullet is the lightest, polymer tipped and rated for hunting game.

Do not blame the cartridge when the bullet is not being used for the intended purpose.
@BeeMaa
95 grain Nosler balistic tip.
Bob

@Hearties
Have you chronoed that o r is that what the book says.
In 2 different 243s loaded with the same projectiles and a max charge of AR 22O8/ VARGET OR AR2209/H4350 the best velocities we could get out of either was 2,860fps and that was out of 22 inch barrel and chronoed.
I'm not saying you are not getting those velocities it's just that I and other C ant seem to get it.
87 grain hornaday VMax are struggling to get 3,100 with max loads as well.
Bob[

Hi Bob. Measured with Magnetospeed. It’s a Tikka T3 with a 22” barrel and a suppressor. Using Norma MRP, which gives very good case fill and very consistent SD’s. There’s more velocity available but that’s a sweet zone / node. We don’t have a lot of feral pigs here but the .243 works well for the smaller antelope species.
Just for the record (not that I’m advocating it) but a friend of mine used this load to drop a large gemsbok bull at around 230m with a single shot placed just behind the front leg. It ran about 20m and fell down.
As always - shot placement...

This might help, Nosler offer BT 6mm/.243 in both Varmint BT and Hunting BT.

Bob says he witnessed poor performance of a .243 using Nosler BT. Maybe they were a Varmint BT, looking on the .22 Varmint BT box on the left It appears as though Nosler do make .243 Varmint BT with a purple polymer tip to denote the calibre the same way they do with the Hunting BT variety.

Bob is a shit stirrer, I think he wants to force my hand to hunt with the little Purple Weatherby GH2 to test results.
I WILL DO IT BOB NELSON-WHELEN,

I met the other Aussie @bruce moulds . He doesn’t put shit on me like Bob does

It’s all in fun.

81640B66-2EA8-4400-9EED-806F14E9FBEC.jpeg
8B806349-B07D-4A10-A49E-6C4B637A8242.jpeg

.26-06 or a .270 would work great. Seems like either will fill the gap in your current gun closet. Do you get shots over 300 meters very often?

I’d then put a very high end scope on the rifle. With really good glass, I bet you’ll be more likely to pick that rifle off the wall first.
I’m somehow drawn toward 7mm/.284

I have previously given thought to many options for different situations. .25-06 being one.

Yes I do get the opportunity for 300m shots but I mostly not confident to take them. I’m a long time shooter but no reall target experience or long range stuff so I’m going to practice and improve my skills.

I could often see a chance Tom shoot a pig from a vehicle at 300 even a fox and maybe a dingo in some areas. Dingoes tend to get past 300 and look back if you don’t whack em when you first encounter it.

My vehicle is not set up with a permanent rest etc so I don’t take a shot unless I am confident I will drop it. 300 could be a long way without a stable position.

I might not going to take on long range hunting as such but to shoot accurately and effectively dispatching pests at 300 consistently would be good and ringing a 1moa gong at 500 for practice will build skills and confidence.

A high end scope, how high are we talking?
I hope to get a Swarovski Z3 for a hunting rifle, possibly the one I’m proposing in this thread.

I have a Zeiss Diavari which is on the heavy side and on a .300wm.

Any future scope will be of some quality within reason of budget and purpose. I would consider $2000 Australian to be high end for my purpose and might buy something better when I find time to shoot targets at a climb.

Outlying impulse but when see a deal.

@Ryan I like my 7mm-08 it’s in a 20” Tikka CTR . Nicely balanced for quick shooting from the car, effective cartridge and I like it.
The longer 7mm’s should go better again. It’s a bit of a dream and a talking point for now but it could come to fruition to build one rifle to my specs and have something versatile that is a nice carry bu to accurate enough on 300+ with a good rest.

You can’t go wrong with a 7 mm Rem Magnum. It is basically a .270 with a little more power and an option for heavier bullets. I’ve hunted with both the .270 and the 7 mm RM and taken multiple elk with both. The 7 mm gets closer to your .300 WM, though. Either is excellent for longer shots or more decisive close range hunting.

As for high end glass, certainly swaro would be a great choice, but there are lots to choose from. I’ve learned that the rifle with the best glass is the one I prefer to use. The better glass builds confidence in the rifle, then the rifle magically becomes more accurate.

By the way, I personally would hunt with that pink gun. I bet it is accurate! I’ve not shot an elk with a .243, but I’ve shot deer and seen other deer shot with them. It is plenty of caliber inside of 200 yards in my opinion.

For me the .30-06 is the perfect blend after being hung up for quite some time on .270. Both are great all around calibers for what I usually hunt.

Have said that, I've tended to mix it up some over the years taking whitetails with .223, .30-30, and (yes @Bob Nelson 35Whelen) .243 depending on where I'm hunting.

For me the .30-06 is the perfect blend after being hung up for quite some time on .270. Both are great all around calibers for what I usually hunt.

Have said that, I've tended to mix it up some over the years taking whitetails with .223, .30-30, and (yes @Bob Nelson 35Whelen) .243 depending on where I'm hunting.
@RandyF
Mate you are forgiven for owning a 243 but some one has to give it a wrap. Just not me.
Bob

This might help, Nosler offer BT 6mm/.243 in both Varmint BT and Hunting BT.

Bob says he witnessed poor performance of a .243 using Nosler BT. Maybe they were a Varmint BT, looking on the .22 Varmint BT box on the left It appears as though Nosler do make .243 Varmint BT with a purple polymer tip to denote the calibre the same way they do with the Hunting BT variety.

Bob is a shit stirrer, I think he wants to force my hand to hunt with the little Purple Weatherby GH2 to test results.
I WILL DO IT BOB NELSON-WHELEN,

I met the other Aussie @bruce moulds . He doesn’t put shit on me like Bob does

It’s all in fun.

View attachment 371513View attachment 371514
The 243WIN can be hard to figure out.
Mostly because it can cover a large range of game.
Multiple twist rates, bullet weights, types of bullets...etc.

I just believe that it is a versatile caliber when used properly.
And that pink spider web stock wouldn't stop me from using it.
Other opinions differ...on both the caliber and the pink, and that's fine.

I know it's all in good fun and we all have our opinions.
However it was not my intention to instigate anyone or ruffle feathers.
I hope no offense was taken by @Bob Nelson 35Whelen ;)
We can respectfully agree to disagree.

The 243WIN can be hard to figure out.
Mostly because it can cover a large range of game.
Multiple twist rates, bullet weights, types of bullets...etc.

I just believe that it is a versatile caliber when used properly.
And that pink spider web stock wouldn't stop me from using it.
Other opinions differ...on both the caliber and the pink, and that's fine.

I know it's all in good fun and we all have our opinions.
However it was not my intention to instigate anyone or ruffle feathers.
I hope no offense was taken by @Bob Nelson 35Whelen ;)
We can respectfully agree to disagree.
@BeeMaa
No offense was taken mate. I just prefer the 25 cal over the 6mms, I even have trouble ty p ing 243.
If used appropriately it may do a half decent job. Most people I know that use it don't use the correct bullet for the job. I would bet london to a brick that 90% of Australians that use it use the 87grain for everything. My personal opinion is if the switch to the 95grain SST it would be a different kettle of fish.
My opinion is Winchester hyped it up to much and even had to lower their velocities as they weren't achievable by Joe Average. It may have a slight BC advantage over the 25s but over standard hunting ranges. A 117 or 120 grain in the 25 will out do anything you can load into the 243 even in the 250 Savage.
To me the 6mm Remington is a far better cartridge than the Winchester ever will be.
Bob

Don't worry about Bob, he has think skin.
He stores me up about .243 but if we meet up I'm gonna get a picture of him with a pink gun and post for everyone to see.

Just a thought to throw in the mix, but the 280 AI is a great version of the .284 caliber. Approaches the 7mm Remington Magnum, but with out a belt.
As does the 757 AI, with nearly 10 gr less powder and a SA cartridge.

IMG_20190923_151018999~2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BennettTim

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross