Saturday’s stirring

CBH Australia

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
So I have made friends with a couple of Aussies and shared messages with other s here from all over.
Many years ago I decided a 7mm-08 might be a good all rounder for Australia and bought one in recent years.
Reading here I’ve learned of more standard chambering’s and their merits.
I’ve even heard of some people’s favourite cartridge and how they might be all you ever need.
I used a 7mmRM in Africa, I own a .300wm and .375H&H if I need something big .
I’m considering building something just because and it’s probably on a Tikka action in a sporter configuration

I don’t want an exotic wildcat but it turns out that .280rem and .35Whelen can use a .308 sized bolt face, but so can a 7x64,

Give us a plug for your favourite chambering and why I should consider it.

:V Sword Fight::A Stirring::A Whistle:

Depends on what you want to do with it. In my area I never use my .375 Ruger. This year most of my hunting has been done with a 6.5. When I go out for elk I'll step up to my 28 or .30 caliber rifles. Deer and antelope the 6.5 does very well. Between last yr and this I have fired 6 shots at animals and killed 6 animals. So I'd suggest something in a 6.5/.26 caliber rifle. The 6.5 PRC might be a good choice as it move a 140 grain bullet at close to 3000 fps.
Bruce

Professor, I downsized from a .458wm to .375H&H so it’s going to be smaller for regular use.

I haven’t followed the 6.5 trend, the bug hasn’t bit me,

My wife has a .243, so that’s a 6mm and I’m thinking bigger for just all round hunting in a light package packing a punch on the right end.

.270 seems like an obvious choice for availability in Australia but I’ve never owned one and if I build I might be inclined to try a less common but still standard chambering offering.

Professor, I downsized from a .458wm to .375H&H so it’s going to be smaller for regular use.

I haven’t followed the 6.5 trend, the bug hasn’t bit me,

My wife has a .243, so that’s a 6mm and I’m thinking bigger for just all round hunting in a light package packing a punch on the right end.

.270 seems like an obvious choice for availability in Australia but I’ve never owned one and if I build I might be inclined to try a less common but still standard chambering offering.
@CBH Australia
Alright . How about a 7x64 mm ?

I don’t want an exotic wildcat but it turns out that .280rem and .35Whelen can use a .308 sized bolt face, but so can a 7x64,
The bolt faces are the same, but the action length is different. Do you plan on a short action, or long action?
What game are you wanting to use it on?
It seems like you are well covered with the 7mm-08, 300 WM and 375. Possibly a 223 or 22-250 to use on dingoes?

So for my favorite that I’ve used on everything here in the USA from turkeys and coyotes to elk....drum roll....getting excited now....the old 30-06....BORING I know, but my all time favorite cartridge none the less! LOL!

Last edited:
@CBH Australia
Alright . How about a 7x64 mm ?
That’s a strong contender, it’s been suggested before. From what I’ve read it’s almost identically to the .280 in performance and ever so close I never case dimensions.

The bolt faces are the same, but the action length is different. Do you plan on a short action, or long action?
What game are you wanting to use it on?
It seems like you are well covered with the 7mm-08, 300 WM and 375. Possibly a 223 or 22-250 to use on dingoes?

So for my favorite that I’ve used on everything here in the USA from turkeys and coyotes to elk....drum roll....getting excited now....the old 30-06....BORING I know, but my all time favorite cartridge none the less! LOL!
I didn’t mention I have a .223 in Rem 700 varmint used spotlighting,
A Tikka .22-250 Varmint because it was a good deal, some use spotlighting
A Tikka .308 sort gets used mostly for hunting it’s the one I consider a work rifle something intend to wear out.
.300wm is Tikka laminate stock, nice scope
.375 is a CZ

Tikka actions are one length so I can change the bolt stop for action length and alternate between stocks if barrel profile suits.

What I am seriously considering is building on a Tikka action in possibly a carbon fibre stock.

If the other 2 Aussies wake up I’m baiting them they might chime in, each have their merits but the .280 or 7x64 might make for a useful/ versatile rifle ideal for walking or long hunts with good potential at longer distances.

And the other You know Bobs favourite, well some stuff I read this morning says it’s hot on the heels of the 9.3x64, and we know that’s considered for DG in some parts so the uh hum ahh, Whelen might be a pretty handy round in Australia for pigs, Sambar and the potential to take Buffalo.

As for the question are there any others that people might see as fitting in as an Aussie all rounder.

So I have made friends with a couple of Aussies and shared messages with other s here from all over.
Many years ago I decided a 7mm-08 might be a good all rounder for Australia and bought one in recent years.
Reading here I’ve learned of more standard chambering’s and their merits.
I’ve even heard of some people’s favourite cartridge and how they might be all you ever need.
I used a 7mmRM in Africa, I own a .300wm and .375H&H if I need something big .
I’m considering building something just because and it’s probably on a Tikka action in a sporter configuration

Give us a plug for your favourite chambering and why I should consider it.

:V Sword Fight::A Stirring::A Whistle:
@CBH
Chris
A properly loaded 35 Whelen or a 280AI but please tell me it ain't a 243.

That’s a strong contender, it’s been suggested before. From what I’ve read it’s almost identically to the .280 in performance and ever so close I never case dimensions.

I didn’t mention I have a .223 in Rem 700 varmint used spotlighting,
A Tikka .22-250 Varmint because it was a good deal, some use spotlighting
A Tikka .308 sort gets used mostly for hunting it’s the one I consider a work rifle something intend to wear out.
.300wm is Tikka laminate stock, nice scope
.375 is a CZ

Tikka actions are one length so I can change the bolt stop for action length and alternate between stocks if barrel profile suits.

What I am seriously considering is building on a Tikka action in possibly a carbon fibre stock.

If the other 2 Aussies wake up I’m baiting them they might chime in, each have their merits but the .280 or 7x64 might make for a useful/ versatile rifle ideal for walking or long hunts with good potential at longer distances.

And the other You know Bobs favourite, well some stuff I read this morning says it’s hot on the heels of the 9.3x64, and we know that’s considered for DG in some parts so the uh hum ahh, Whelen might be a pretty handy round in Australia for pigs, Sambar and the potential to take Buffalo.

As for the question are there any others that people might see as fitting in as an Aussie all rounder.
@CBH
Chris the other one I forgot is another favorite of mine and often overlooked in my other favorite caliber,the 25. There ain't nothing wrong with the 25/06.
See how many others like it.

@Ridgewalker I’m not surprised you have the thirty 0 six,
I think each American receives a .30-06 and an AR as a graduation present straight out of high school don’t they? It seems they all have them.

The .308 is common here for various reasons and an AR, no they changed the rules because they did not want us to be like America with it’s gun culture, that’s what the Polly’s said in 96,

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen now I do think the .25-06 has its merits and claimed to be fast and flat and that has its place and would be effective on many Australian game. This chic in Africa had some nice Kudu mounts taken with her .25-06, oh hang on that’s the outfitters wife has access to some good specimens

@Professor Mawla 7x64 is a thought, I’ve read a bit on them and them vs.280, it peaks my interest.

Any endorsements on those above or other suggestions?

I might actually end up making some changes reducing numbers and upgrading optics on the keepers But I would like to have one that is a little more classic or special as a hunting rifle, something I had built for purpose.

Now I’m off to write a cranky thread about Winchester Deer Season ammo.

The 308WIN is the parent case to several options out there...
243WIN, 260REM, 7mm-08, 338FED & 358WIN to name a few.

After looking at what you have, the big stuff is pretty well covered.
How about a 243WIN for Varmints to Deer sized game?

Just a thought to throw in the mix, but the 280 AI is a great version of the .284 caliber. Approaches the 7mm Remington Magnum, but with out a belt.

The 308WIN is the parent case to several options out there...
243WIN, 260REM, 7mm-08, 338FED & 358WIN to name a few.

After looking at what you have, the big stuff is pretty well covered.
How about a 243WIN for Varmints to Deer sized game?

I would never hear the end of it if Bob found out.

My wife has one in a Weatherby GH2 , Girly stock, nice little rifle and she can smacked foxes with it or take a pig on the few shoots she does.

A mate recently bought a .338Federal, he is in Victoria the lockdown state, I wish him well.

They are south of the border so we also call them Mexicans.

He’s a bit technical minded so I reckon the .338Federal has its merits if he went that path.

On reading many threads and other info the .280rem and .35 Whelen make sense if you are recoil sensitive

I’m only average build but young enough to get a kick out of it. I still like my .375H&H.

I shoot ok maybe average and shoot in average conditions.

If I build a rifle I expect it should shoot better than a factory if done right.

While the .280, .35W, 7x64, .358w, .338fed are standard chamberings they are not common. Well probably not readily available in small town shops so I’m considering the pros and cons.

If I settle on something i will be handloading but I don’t want to be looking for cases on backorder or buying expensive series dies.

The 2 cartridges mentioned and the blokes commending them both like their choice being tolerable recoil easy shooting with good performance.

If I do this it will simply be a hunting rifle intended for carry and I want to shoot it accurately I like to headshot where I can , they just don’t walk away.
Accuracy builds confidence.

On reading many threads and other info the .280rem and .35 Whelen make sense if you are recoil sensitive

I’m only average build but young enough to get a kick out of it. I still like my .375H&H.

I shoot ok maybe average and shoot in average conditions.

If I build a rifle I expect it should shoot better than a factory if done right.

While the .280, .35W, 7x64, .358w, .338fed are standard chamberings they are not common. Well probably not readily available in small town shops so I’m considering the pros and cons.

If I settle on something i will be handloading but I don’t want to be looking for cases on backorder or buying expensive series dies.

The 2 cartridges mentioned and the blokes commending them both like their choice being tolerable recoil easy shooting with good performance.

If I do this it will simply be a hunting rifle intended for carry and I want to shoot it accurately I like to headshot where I can , they just don’t walk away.
Accuracy builds confidence.
Sounds like you REALLY need a 243WIN.
So what if Bob doesn't like it.
You drop a few Hogs with head shots at range and he'll change his tune.
Take back the 243WIN and make it a MANLY MAN cartridge again.

Well I do have a Boyd’s laminate that will take a Howa or Weatherby 1500 models,

Yeah, a manly .243 I like it..

Sadly I like the feel of that little rifle but I’m not a fan of pink but the Pink webbing on Black is only obvious up close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross