Saturday’s stirring

Don't worry about Bob, he has think skin.
He stores me up about .243 but if we meet up I'm gonna get a picture of him with a pink gun and post for everyone to see.
@CBH
I suppose you will have me in the pink tutu and pink singlet and thongs as well mate. You better have plenty of Bundy on hand for that. You might get me in the workshop unscrewing the barrel to put a 358 one in tho.
Bob

Didn’t know you carried a Tutu when you venture out. A 6’1” Fairy Princess, y’Know Mario’s Palace in Broken Hill hosts the Broken Heel festival if you want to make a great Debut of your Coming out.
Mmm, a .358 in a Weatherby Girls Hunt 2 compact rifle, might Boot like a Bastard but if that floats your boat. I recently commented on the alphabet community, so it’s ok with us.

Three dads in my hunting party (myself included) bought .243’s for our sons as their first deer gun. We call them the “kid guns”. Mild recoil and enough power for a deer. We use the 95 grain SST as I am a fan of heavy for caliber bullets. When you buy your kid a gun, Invariably you will end up using it.
Now the boys are getting bigger (age 14) so we are working up towards an all around caliber. Next step 6.5CM and/or .25-06. After that, he can choose the caliber for bigger game.

Three dads in my hunting party (myself included) bought .243’s for our sons as their first deer gun. We call them the “kid guns”. Mild recoil and enough power for a deer. We use the 95 grain SST as I am a fan of heavy for caliber bullets. When you buy your kid a gun, Invariably you will end up using it.
Now the boys are getting bigger (age 14) so we are working up towards an all around caliber. Next step 6.5CM and/or .25-06. After that, he can choose the caliber for bigger game.
Nice, lucky kids.
I don’t see the Creedmore as much of a step up from .243. It’s a half a millimeter in metric.
The Creedmore was developed as a long range target cartridge and designed with dimensions to cater to long high BC projectiles. It can be loaded with ammo suited to hunting but don’t confuse the 2 because performance likely differ for trajectory and a other factors if were looking at performance on paper or charts.
I don’t know much about the .260remington but it’s comparable with a slight edge.
.25-06 I have not had but I’ve heard a lot about over a long time. One advantage is maybe the ability to rebarrel to. 270. .280 .30-06 .35Whelen if desired to do a build of that platform.

Myself I don’t consider that a mm or 20 thousandths of an inch a big step up, not if you are taking a step up in game. But I like the 7mm-08 and also own .308. 7mm-08 is only 1mm more but the Bullet selection for hunting is good and the ballistic comparison I have read are good.
Your .243 and others can be rebarelled to a variety of cartridges , .260rem, 7mm-08, .308, .358win.

My thoughts are if your’s/your sons next rifle is a long action like a 25-06 or .270 would give you better hunting cartridge options. That’s coming from someone pondering a .280ai build though.

I do really like the 7mm-08 and it performs well with less recoil than the .308 and is a good round for Any hunting partner, son, daughter or other half.

I agree with @CBH Australia, a 6.5CM or 25-06 is not a step up.
Although the 25-06 is debatable because of the long action and sharp recoil.

The reality is that he should have his own Blaser R8.
You can add a kickstop for whatever caliber you decide on.
Then, when he's more confident and comfortable with the recoil, you can remove it.

Make a deal with him about shoveling snow this winter.
The "Great White North" should provide plenty of opportunities for $$$.
He will view snow like money falling from the sky.

I agree with @CBH Australia, a 6.5CM or 25-06 is not a step up.
Although the 25-06 is debatable because of the long action and sharp recoil.

The reality is that he should have his own Blaser R8.
You can add a kickstop for whatever caliber you decide on.
Then, when he's more confident and comfortable with the recoil, you can remove it.

Make a deal with him about shoveling snow this winter.
The "Great White North" should provide plenty of opportunities for $$$.
He will view snow like money falling from the sky.
Every kid needs a Blaser,

Mass production might reduce pricing so the rest of us can consider them.

We didn’t have a centrefire in the famil as kids, something my brother and I rectified as soon as we came of age and had our own income. But we did get a chance to shoot and we still have a common interest.

I don't even know what we should be discussing in this thread- I forgot :):) No matter, very enjoyable readings of ramblings. I grew up with limited firearms in the family -purely working type guns. My dad had a Winchester Model 54 carbine in 30-06. He never put a scope on it. His only other gun was an old 12 ga pump shotgun. I know he always wanted a much higher grade, like a Belgian Browning, but never did get one. My first gun was a 16 ga hammer single shot break open that I found and started shooting it and hunting birds with it at age 9. My second was an old used Winchester bolt 22. My first "deer" rifle was a pre-64 Model 94 Win 30-30. For several years I used that and the M54 30-06 after my dad passed. Learned some basic shooting skills in the military then later in civilian law enforcement. However, my skills with a rifle were most perfected through my own practice with that first 22. Because of that freedom to shoot the 22 on my schedule and under zero pressure other than the desire to hit what I aimed at, I became somewhat of an instinctive shooter. I'd get home from school, grab 5-10 22s, throw them in my pocket and head out the back door. Shooting stumps, knot holes, empty 22 shells stuck in stumps, occasionally rock squirrels, a few unlucky bull frogs and even carp in the small waterway bordering our back field. I once killed a mallard drake with a head shot on purpose with that 22 at over 250 yards just to see if I could do it- I think I was 12 or 13 yrs old. I shot only one like that because after thinking about it, I realized it was neither sporting nor legal! Actually, the frog legs made for fine eating though. Friends would come over or I would head to their place and we'd shoot and "hunt" with 22s, weather permitting, most any time of year. While I was mostly self taught for rifle and shotgun skills, civilian law enforcement really rounded out my skills- especially with handgun. I had never shot a handgun much before then. I competed off and on within interagency circles and maintained distinguished classification for over 26 years. The only handguns I currently have are a cheap H&R 22 revolver and a 9mm Glock for self defense.

I even had a couple of 243s along the way. Shot (and luckily recovered) a fairly large mule deer once with the 243 and decided, for me, that wasn't the best fit. My next 243 was a custom build I had done specifically for long range coyote work and that it did exceedingly well! I built a few traditional muzzleloaders (patched roundball guns- both cap and flint) over the years and really enjoyed hunting deer and elk with them in thick timber and rough country. Bought myself a bolt Win 70 270 while in school and over the years took countless game from pronghorn to deer to elk to caribou with that rifle. Have collected, studied and shot countless original guns of all flavors and calibers but have sold most except for a fairly good group of original muzzleloaders (muskets) spanning the Mexican War to Civil War era. I really enjoy shooting old original muzzleloaders!

So have pretty much experienced the whole spectrum. Shot tens of thousands of rounds and enjoyed a fairly unrestricted firearms related life. In addition to my first deer rifle, the M94 30-30... for serious big game hunting I have the Win M70 270, a Win M70 338-06, a Win M70 375 HH, 2 Win M70 416 Rems and an MRC M'99 450 Watts. Except for a couple of orphaned single shots, I have no serious bird hunting shotgun but do have a scary accurate Win M52 Sporter 22rf.

Right now if granted an open wish for what, when, how and where I'd like to hunt... I wouldn't select mountain sheep, nor jungle game nor elk nor moose nor big cats nor any DG... I'd pick eland just after the rains, on foot with Bushmen trackers in the Kalahari- Botswana. I'd carry either my 375 HH or 416 Rem. :)

My son and daughter both started with a .243 at 12 years old shooting 100gr core lokt. Always worked perfectly on mule deer. My son moved up to a 270 14 and then a 300 winchester at 18.
My daughter's been using the same 30-06 since 18 years old. She's 31 now.

I don't even know what we should be discussing in this thread- I forgot :):) No matter, very enjoyable readings of ramblings. I grew up with limited firearms in the family -purely working type guns. My dad had a Winchester Model 54 carbine in 30-06. He never put a scope on it. His only other gun was an old 12 ga pump shotgun. I know he always wanted a much higher grade, like a Belgian Browning, but never did get one. My first gun was a 16 ga hammer single shot break open that I found and started shooting it and hunting birds with it at age 9. My second was an old used Winchester bolt 22. My first "deer" rifle was a pre-64 Model 94 Win 30-30. For several years I used that and the M54 30-06 after my dad passed. Learned some basic shooting skills in the military then later in civilian law enforcement. However, my skills with a rifle were most perfected through my own practice with that first 22. Because of that freedom to shoot the 22 on my schedule and under zero pressure other than the desire to hit what I aimed at, I became somewhat of an instinctive shooter. I'd get home from school, grab 5-10 22s, throw them in my pocket and head out the back door. Shooting stumps, knot holes, empty 22 shells stuck in stumps, occasionally rock squirrels, a few unlucky bull frogs and even carp in the small waterway bordering our back field. I once killed a mallard drake with a head shot on purpose with that 22 at over 250 yards just to see if I could do it- I think I was 12 or 13 yrs old. I shot only one like that because after thinking about it, I realized it was neither sporting nor legal! Actually, the frog legs made for fine eating though. Friends would come over or I would head to their place and we'd shoot and "hunt" with 22s, weather permitting, most any time of year. While I was mostly self taught for rifle and shotgun skills, civilian law enforcement really rounded out my skills- especially with handgun. I had never shot a handgun much before then. I competed off and on within interagency circles and maintained distinguished classification for over 26 years. The only handguns I currently have are a cheap H&R 22 revolver and a 9mm Glock for self defense.

I even had a couple of 243s along the way. Shot (and luckily recovered) a fairly large mule deer once with the 243 and decided, for me, that wasn't the best fit. My next 243 was a custom build I had done specifically for long range coyote work and that it did exceedingly well! I built a few traditional muzzleloaders (patched roundball guns- both cap and flint) over the years and really enjoyed hunting deer and elk with them in thick timber and rough country. Bought myself a bolt Win 70 270 while in school and over the years took countless game from pronghorn to deer to elk to caribou with that rifle. Have collected, studied and shot countless original guns of all flavors and calibers but have sold most except for a fairly good group of original muzzleloaders (muskets) spanning the Mexican War to Civil War era. I really enjoy shooting old original muzzleloaders!

So have pretty much experienced the whole spectrum. Shot tens of thousands of rounds and enjoyed a fairly unrestricted firearms related life. In addition to my first deer rifle, the M94 30-30... for serious big game hunting I have the Win M70 270, a Win M70 338-06, a Win M70 375 HH, 2 Win M70 416 Rems and an MRC M'99 450 Watts. Except for a couple of orphaned single shots, I have no serious bird hunting shotgun but do have a scary accurate Win M52 Sporter 22rf.

Right now if granted an open wish for what, when, how and where I'd like to hunt... I wouldn't select mountain sheep, nor jungle game nor elk nor moose nor big cats nor any DG... I'd pick eland just after the rains, on foot with Bushmen trackers in the Kalahari- Botswana. I'd carry either my 375 HH or 416 Rem. :)
The thread can be about anything. I started it.

The stirring was to get a bite out of Bob and the underlying question well I am considering building something in the .280 class, I’ve sooken to a few people and now I have a fixation on building something. We’ll I always did but I think I have it.
7x64 and .280rem have been discussed in depth previously and I was enlightened. @Mr. Zorg could give a better comparison or rundown on the low down of the 2

I’m seriously considering a .280ai build. One thing I’m looking into is the best powders given Australian ADI powders are available or on hand. Book values don’t seem to meet some of the numbers quoted here.

I think I would start with a 150gn for shootings pests when I walk. If I Went after a game species I might look for a 168gn or something pending what/where. If I build on a Tikka action overall length may exclude heavier bullets.

I want fast and flat and I don’t think I would burn this one out so that’s it unless I talk my self out of it or into something else.

I guess I’m hoping for 3000fps or better. Am I being ambitious? If I could go 3000fps with a 160 maybe?
Velocity is not everything but it’s a goal for the project I guess and the whole concept is

A fast, flat, accurate cartridge that can be used for a variety of game and shot accurately with lower recoil.

Hopefully handled easily and shot well without flinching when accuracy matters on the long shots.

Last edited:
Why not a standard 280? You should get 3000 140s, easy, I mean the ole 30-06 can with 150s.
If you need more than the 280/270 you should probably step up to the 7 mag. You can download it if you don’t want it to kick.

@Wyatt Smith what fun would that be?
All those things sound logical but I’m reading on the .280ai and I mostly thinking it sounds like a good compromise.
I don’t have a bad flinch but don’t want to flinch when it counts. I could easily rebarrel my .300wm to 7mmRM or shock horror, just leave things alone

I have too many components to burn up in .300wm,

I can shoot OK but I would like to build something because they make them and maybe get a good allrounder that shoots well and learn to shoot it well so I have confidence in the long shots when they present.

It’s a want not a need, I’m gonna have fun convincing her but I’m sorta keen on the idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristinaD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!