SAPS permit - What happens if you don't bring the exact amount of ammo for each caliber?

johnnyblues

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
Hey guys, question. What happens if you don't bring the exact amount of ammo for each caliber? In other words let day you put on your permit 3 boxes of 375 and one box 300. Then you arrive with two boxes of each? Is that a problem?

That's a good question, to which I have no answer. I'm sure someone will help

I have never had my ammo examined in 14 trips.

They never checked mine either

They have never checked mine but that means nothing the day they decide to do so!

There is one of the reasons that I fill my own forms out and bring them to the SAPS office to be signed and processed.

If it is a pre-approved permit and you specified the amounts you are importing I would expect someone to be perturbed. (if they bother to count it)
Technically, it would be illegal to import more ammunition than you declared.

Technically the US has a southern border. Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

@BRICKBURN is right. With pre-approved paperwork you could have an issue. Without it bring what you want and fill it in while waiting. The only place I've ever had bullets checked was Zim and they counted every one.

I've never had SAPS ask me for a 4457 on a trip, not once, ever. You can bet your bottom dollar though that on the next trip I will have a new shiny one, that will also never be viewed.

Why take a chance on something so simple?

I think nothing will happen as I've never had ammo checked at Tambo. Do you have someone meeting you there?

Of the ammo total is the same you may be ok. Are you using a service like riflepermits.com? If so they will likely breeze you through it all without a problem.
Philip

Never had Canadian, American or African customs/police look at the ammo. They are primarily concerned with the guns

Send Henry at http://riflepermits.com email and ask him. I'm sure he will give you the correct answer. I know that using his services adds a little to the total cost of the safari, but I would not consider going to SA without doing so.

I think nothing will happen as I've never had ammo checked at Tambo. Do you have someone meeting you there?
Yes I hired Henry from Rifle permits.com.

Never had Canadian, American or African customs/police look at the ammo. They are primarily concerned with the guns

US, Namibia, RSA and Canadian customs have had me open my ammo cases. Not every time, but I am occasionally the lucky winner of their undivided attention.
The Canadian guys really love my bow case. It always gets the love.

US, Namibia, RSA and Canadian customs have had me open my ammo cases. Not every time, but I am occasionally the lucky winner of their undivided attention.
The Canadian guys really love my bow case. It always gets the love.

Brick that is because you have that guilty look most of us hide better than you :)

They always check tall people. Even in boot camp they were volunteered alot

Looks guilty as hell, tall and.........................................a Canadian! Triple threat guy for sure!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross