Sako Kodiak 375 H&H?

Viti

AH member
Reaction score
G'day,

Has anyone had any experience with the Sako Kodiak in 375H&H? I am very keen on this rifle, love the Sakos, love the looks of this rifle, but my main concern is the shortish barrel at 21.25".

There is also the 85 Laminate version that comes in 375 with a 24" barrel, but it doesn't have the same appeal to me as the Kodiak and I do not think you can get it with open sights.

Thanks, Nick.

..:welcome:..to AH, Nick. I take it you're from upside-down land..? A hunting buddy of mine has the Kodiak and I think it's a damn fine rifle. The Sako at 3.6 kg is a little light for me, that's why I prefer my CZ. I do still find it well balanced and a pleasure to shoot, though. The shorter barrel is no problem at all, in fact, you'll find it easier to carry in the bush. Go for it..!

I have an older SAKO AV, mine has a 20"barrel, had it cut when I was in Alaska for getting through brush. I love it,

Thanks for the reply's and the welcome guys. Yeah its looking pretty good at the moment, just not very many reviews around. When I finally get all the $$ together, I want to be sure I get it right.

Cheers, Nick.

They are really good rifles Nick, I took mine to Africa. Sent you a PM too, having just bought a double, mine is for sale. Cheers

They are really good rifles Nick, I took mine to Africa. Sent you a PM too, having just bought a double, mine is for sale. Cheers

Hey GWH, post some details, pictures and a price for that Sako!

Viti, a little late here. I have a Kodiak that I took on safari in South Africa last September. I took six animals total, 5 with the .375. I shot an impala on the first day with a .30-06 and carried the Sako the remainder of my time there. I found it to be a very fine rifle and would certainly rely on it again. Barrel length was not an issue. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply.

I did end up buying GWH's kodiak off him, turns out he lives 10 minutes down the road (small world). I have to say I am very happy with it, I have only shot it at the range twice, but it is a very fun gun to shoot with the different weight projectiles and appears to be quite accurate.

I actually took it out on a full days walking hunt in the hills yesterday, its certainly heavier than my 308, but was still easy and comfortable to carry. I was looking for a pig to test it on, but alas all I saw were plenty of deer, still a great day out and a good carry test of the Kodaik.

I love mine! I reload & load it down just a tad. I plan on taking it to SA next year or 2019 for a buff/sable hunt... I plan on 200 yards or less for shooting ("a man's gotta know his limitations..."). With a Trijicon 1-6 I feel very comfy with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg