SAKO hammerhead 220 grn 30.06

haggis01

Reaction score
I will be bushveld hunting in Limpopo province in South Africa again this year. I am looking to shoot heavier slower bullets on this trip and was wondering if anyone has had experience with SAKO hammerheads (220 grn in 30.06)?
Targeting blue wilebeest, kudu and if the right shot presents itself an Eland too.

Kind regards

Use it if you want but a 165gr Swift A-Frame or Barnes 150gr TTSX will do the job just fine. They will allow you a longer shot also.

Hello Haggis01,

The 220 gr round nose .30-06 is one of the best Limpopo PG choices, in one old man's opinion.

However, I do not have experience with Sako brand ammunition specifically.

Once I spent 30 days in Limpopo, with Hannes Swanepoel Safaris and my constant companion was a Brno ZKK in .30-06 / 220 gr Hornady round nose softs (had a few solids as well but did not fire them).

The .30 of any sort is not my idea of the best eland caliber, and I did not shoot an eland with it but, had I done so, I expect it would've worked just fine.

In the Lowveld I shot several blou wildebees cows and one bull, plus a fine black wildebees bull (in the Highveld) with that load, plus impala and similar lesser fauna.

The point?

Knowing what I know about Sako products, I expect that the Sako bullet is at least as good as the Hornady, perhaps better/tougher.

If I ever decided to use a .30-06 in Limpopo again, I would once more choose the 220 grain bullet.

It is a classic African bullet weight in that cartridge, and I do not see how you can go wrong with it, Sako brand or otherwise.

You must keep well,
Velo Dog.

Thank you velo dog, your thoughts are much appreciated. I am getting good groupings and am looking forward to the hunt. Will revert regarding the performance of the hammerheads.

Divernhunter I had an experience on warthog and gemsbok last year with 150grn Barnes factory loads that did not mushroom. The lighter faster bullets can also cause a lot of meat damage. Thank you for your reply.

Good hunting.

If the barnes were TSX or not pushed fast or worse heavier than 165gr that would explain the lack of expansion. We have taken quite a number of animals using the 150gr TTSX and have not had one problem.

I still prefer the Swift A-Frame bullets myself. Last year we took over 30 animals with them all but one(I shot too high the 1st shot) a one shot no tracking kill. My daughter used a 257Roberts with 120gr Swift A-Frames for Kudu/Warthogs/Red Hartebeest/Several Impala/Zebra.
I took a couple of Blue Wildebeest/Waterbuck/Kudu/Gemsbuck/Warthogs/two Impala/Blesbuck and several others. Deer and hogs here in the states also all one shot with the Swift and Barnes TTSX bulllets. I tried to get a certain eland but could not find him once I decided to take him. Shots were from 135 to 480 yards in Africa and 20feet to 150 yards here in the states

Different strokes for different strokes.

Hi again Haggis01,

I am predicting that you will have no failures to expand with the Sako Hammerhead bullet.

Because any .30 bullet in 220 grain round nose soft, is half expanded before it even leaves the factory.

Safe travels & happy hunting,
Velo Dog.

Hi again Haggis01,

I am predicting that you will have no failures to expand with the Sako Hammerhead bullet.

Because any .30 bullet in 220 grain round nose soft, is half expanded before it even leaves the factory.

Safe travels & happy hunting,
Velo Dog.
I will be bushveld hunting in Limpopo province in South Africa again this year. I am looking to shoot heavier slower bullets on this trip and was wondering if anyone has had experience with SAKO hammerheads (220 grn in 30.06)?
Targeting blue wilebeest, kudu and if the right shot presents itself an Eland too.

Kind regards
Haggis....FWIW I went to RSA and Namibia last year without taking a weapon. Rented archery gear in SA and "hired" rifle in Namibia. It was an old 30-06 with 4 groove barrel, 6x Schmidt and Bender scope, and loaded with Sako Hammerheads (as per PH...no idea of load) With this combo I shot Mgmt kudu bull, a 53" kudu, an oryx cow...two shots, and two Hartmann's zebra mares. I was quite impressed with the bullet performance, but recovered only one. As a note, my hunt partner shot '06 with Speer 200grn flat base bullets.....two oryx, 3 shots, all popped the cores............

(am trying to learn to reply, hope this goes to right thread).....FWB

Hi there,
I got 2x impala ewes, warthog, blesbok and a kudu on this trip. The SAKO hammerheads performed well, I only retrieved one bullet and it mushroomed perfectly. The bush was very thick and all the shots were below 80 meters. Even though the blesbok pictured was in the open I managed to stalk within 60m to make the shot. I will not hesitate to use them again. One of the impala and the warthog were front on shots onto the heart/lung area, and the remaining shots were side on with the kudu and blesbok slightly quatering towards me. Thank you for your input, it gave me confidence. I have also attached a photo of the grouping I got at 100m with the SAKO hammerhead 180gr, the 220gr was identical.

20140518_110732.jpg
20140425_173502.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
haggis sounds like you had a good time (more info and photos me thinks), and thanks for the info on the hammerheads i have some but have never used them.

they have been used and worked very well in both 180 and 220 grn versions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceV

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross