Sako Brown Bear

Discussion in '.375 & Up' started by Dr Ray, May 6, 2017.

1. Dr Ray

Dr Ray AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    I am looking at the Sako Brown Bear in either 375 H & H or in 416 Rigby.
    I am seeking advice on those but my main concern is the relatively short barrel and muzzle blast.
    I would appreciate your comments.
    I will be hunting Asian water buffalo in Australia. These are bigger than the African Cape Buffalo but apparently not as mean.

2. SWARA

SWARA AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    DR Ray
    The Brown Bear in .375 is built on a sako L action and the .416 is built on the XL action witch is able to handle much longer rounds .416 Rig, .450 rig and .500 Jeff.
    Take your pick.. There is not a water buffalo built that won't fall to a well place .375 H+H round.
    The 22 inch barrel is fine and you should not suffer from any blast when shooting in the open.
    Enjoy your hunt.

Dr Ray likes this.

3. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    I own rifles in both calibers. My choice if going after Buffalo would be the 416 Rigby.

Dr Ray likes this.

4. BenH2016

BenH2016 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Zambia
    I handled a Sako Brown Bear in 416 Rigby when I was looking for a buffalo rifle, it looked and felt quite lovely, went very naturally to my shoulder and felt nicely balanced. I didn't like the large front site bead much.

In the end I turned the rifle down on price.

5. ZG47

ZG47 AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    NZDA, NZMSC
    Hunted:
    New Zealand
    My understanding, for what it is worth, is that Bob Penfold who established Hunt Australia (and sold it off in 2006) created a standard client rifle using the Mauser 98 with a model 70 style safety catch, .458 Winchester chambering, a quality fiberglass stock and low power Leupold scope. There were at least five or six of these rifles (possibly more) and several spare scopes, allowing scopes to be swapped at the hunting camp and rifles to be returned to the gunsmith when repairs were required.
    I have at least two magazines with articles relating to this matter but cannot remember which ones, at this stage. One of the articles was probably written by Craig Boddington.

6. SWARA

SWARA AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    I own a Sako Brown Bear in .450 Rigby, its an XL action length. It has the 22 inch barrel and a floor plate magazine as opposed to the detachable magazine that comes in the long action and smaller action lengths. I not have any issues with muzzle blast with the 22inch barrel. The recoil pad is on the hard side and I have changed it and it feels better to shoot now. Im not a fan of the laminated stock so am changing that out for a wallet stock.
    Otherwise no issues.

7. browningbbr

browningbbr AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI Northeast Wisconsin Chapter, NRA, Local Sportsmen's Club
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Tanzania
    + 1