Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DCS, PHASA, SA Hunters, Xtreem Archery, Rowland Ward, WRSA
Hunted
South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe
I just got myself a new Sako Bavarian .375 H&H with a Zeiss 2-8x42 Duralight Scope (Illuminated) with quick detachable mounts.

I am super impress with this rifle and and the feel when you pick it up straight into the shooting position.

Looking forward to many hunts with my new addition to the growing collection :)

Sako 85, I suppose, a great gun, beautifully finished. However, I prefer a straight stock.

Enjoy :beer:

Pics or it didn't happen ;)

Yea we want to see pics..lol

I just got myself a new Sako Bavarian .375 H&H with a Zeiss 2-8x42 Duralight Scope (Illuminated) with quick detachable mounts.

I am super impress with this rifle and and the feel when you pick it up straight into the shooting position.

Looking forward to many hunts with my new addition to the growing collection :)

which quick detachable mounts are you using ?

I have a Sako Brown Bear 375 and I struggle with the quick detachable mounts.

hi probably the same i have just got for my black bear sako factory ones, SAKO OPTILOCK

hi spike,I had a set of rings and bases made by my gun smith he modified some Warner QR for me.

IMHO Sako's are the most difficult rifles to scope .

Sorry for the late reply chaps, I was out initiating my new toy :)

I bought the Leopold Quick Detachable mounts for Sako.

I shot an old Giraffe Bull with a perfect heart/lung shop, he fell within 5 meters of where i shot him.

IMG_6554.JPG

Am trying to get a Sako Bavarian Carbine in 9.3 X 62 but so far only marketed in Europe. Love the stock shape, BTW.......................FWB

I was initially unsure of the stock but it's the best decision I made. Fits like a glove!

Always a great day when you break in a new rifle!

Congrats!

Congratulations!
I have a question - I recently purchased a Sako 85 Bavarian in 7x64. by doing my internet research, I was aware of a defect that is common to "standard" action length Sako 85 rifles before I bought mine, they tend to eject empty cartridge cases straight up into the scope or bounce cases off the scope windage adjustment turret. I was hoping mine wouldn't do that. I was wrong.

So I did some more research, and found that an extra strength ejector spring could sometimes fix the problem. I purchased one made by Gre-Tan in the USA from a gunsmith here in Canada, and installed it myself. Problem solved. It now ejects all the time, mostly to the side, with only a few cases hitting the turret of my low mounted scope and none falling back into the action to jam the rifle. This incident did not give me confidence in the design, but the result was mostly OK. For hunting game that does not hunt back.

I would like to buy a Sako 85 Bavarian .375 to match my 7x64, a more versatile " hunt everything" pair of rifles I can't imagine. I like everything else about my rife. But I am disappointed with the obvious design flaw of the M85 action, which places the ejector at 6 o'clock, and the extractor at 3 o'clock, and therefore is dependent on very small tolerance variables in the extractor that must be perfectly correct in order to function properly.
How does your .375 eject empty cases? Do you have any problems with cases hitting the scope during fast ( or slow ) bolt operation??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerthaChristopher

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.