Sako A7 in 416 Remingon?

@Sid Post
What rifles from .375 caliber (or 9.3mm) and above do you currently own? I see you are from Texas where Deer and Hog are abundant. What's your "go to" Deer/Hog or regular hunting rifle?

There is nothing wrong with starting your big bore journey with a 404J or 416RM. But there is a strong argument to be made for starting with a .375 caliber rifle. More important than the caliber you choose is how the rifle fits you. As the caliber and recoil go up, the fit of the rifle and proper shooting technique become more critical. Things you can get away with on a 270WIN, can get you scope cut on a .375 that doesn't fit properly.

Without lighting off a CRF/PF debate... You would benefit from dancing with the one you came with. If you are comfortable with a Winchester M70, CZ550 or the Sako A7 and the rifle fits you properly...you should stick with it. I would also add that there are many AH members who end up having to make adjustments to the stock or have a full custom one made to achieve proper fit. Myself included.

As you get deeper into the game and have owned a medium or big bore for a little while, you will find what type of rifle works best for you. The learning curve is steep, but the journey is fun.

Also worth a read...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not familiar with the A7 specifically but every Sako I've owned or shot has been well above average quality. In heavier recoiling, larger calibers the slimmer stock may, as @bruce moulds pointed out, work better in the gun store than on the range or in the field. I'm not as turned off by the Sako type extractors as some. But one thing to check on is the angle of ejection. If it is too high, as seems the case with some Sakos, cases can impact the scope or mounts on the way out. Depends on the ejection geometry of that particular model.

The CZ 550 or BRNO 602 is a completely different animal from either the Sako or the Win M70. Some swear by them and some.... not so much. I would suggest trying and cycling each type before committing. All things equal both the Sako and Win 70, in my experience, are much, much smoother cycling. The CZs are supposed to smooth out over time but can only do so to a certain degree as limited by the basic design. The increased magazine capacity of the CZ is often touted as the important part of the decision for selecting it. But then again some of the same proponents of having the 1-2 extra rounds in the magazine see no conflict with that logic squaring with the praise of the double rifle. ?

As far as caliber... Any particular reason for 404J over 416 Remington other than its current trendy status? :) I have found no flaws in the 416 Remington so am always curious about the decision away from it. I suspect a lot of it has to do with something other than actual field experience.

I like large diameter bullets! Classic calibers to me "seem" to recoil with more of a shove than the kick of the new trendy whizz bangs which is easier on my shoulder and back.

Looking back through history, the 404 Jeffery was a solid working man's caliber. Unfortunately, the 416 Rigby was the one that got press for notoriety from a certain author to the detriment of the 404J. I'm essentially looking to replace my 470NE DR with this one.

I did consider a 470 Capstick but, a 404J offers everything I really need and I wanted a bit more than a classic 375H&H. As I think more about my caliber options, today I would seriously relook at a 375 or 416 Ruger rifle option.

One thing the Nitro's and calibers like the 404J have that can't be matched by a modern cartridge is the nostalgia of the Cordite era calibers!

@Sid Post
What rifles from .375 caliber (or 9.3mm) and above do you currently own? I see you are from Texas where Deer and Hog are abundant. What's your "go to" Deer/Hog or regular hunting rifle?

I own 2 375H&H's and really need to sell one of them. I also own 416 Rigby that needs the AHR treatment or a new owner but, friends always ask about it so it still hangs around. Then there is the 470NE and the 458Lott. The 458Lott is a bit of the red-headed stepchild but, it does make a good backup IF you are worried about losing ammunition and need to find some more in the local 'market'.

For feral hogs, right now I rain hell on them from a 6.8SPC AR-15 because two or five rounds are not enough and they are super fast movers. I'm all about high body counts with them and would use mortars and artillery on them if I could! :mad:

For general hunting duty in my pasture, a 7x57 or 6.5x55 is pretty hard to pass up but, I'm not opposed to using a 5.56 AR-15 on a cow chasing or chicken killing dog. My 358 Norma Magnum is the most logical choice for other CONUS (lower 48 states) big game uses being a lot handier than a heavy overbuilt CZ-550.

There is nothing wrong with starting your big bore journey with a 404J or 416RM. But there is a strong argument to be made for starting with a .375 caliber rifle. More important than the caliber you choose is how the rifle fits you. As the caliber and recoil go up, the fit of the rifle and proper shooting technique become more critical. Things you can get away with on a 270WIN, can get you scope cut on a .375 that doesn't fit properly.

To be honest, a poorly fitted Remington 700 in 30-06 as a college-age kid' is the worst recoil memory I have. Hardest recoiling, no. Most unpleasant, YES!

Personally, the modern hyper cartridges are ones I like least in terms of recoil as it is so 'sharp'. I think of it as a 'time constant' when in reality it is probably recoil velocity, in either case, I find those the most unpleasant recoiling calibers and rifles, and don't you dare bring one to my shooting bench!

Without lighting off a CRF/PF debate... You would benefit from dancing with the one you came with. If you are comfortable with a Winchester M70, CZ550 or the Sako A7 and the rifle fits you properly...you should stick with it. I would also add that there are many AH members who end up having to make adjustments to the stock or have a full custom one made to achieve proper fit. Myself included.

My 358 Norma Magnum is built on an FN 98 commercial action and is waiting for me to retrieve it from the gunsmith with its new Limbsaver. Yes, rifle fit is critical for many reasons, recoil management is only one of them. That's part of the reason my 'sweetheart' is an old basic 7x57 push feed bolt action!

As you get deeper into the game and have owned a medium or big bore for a little while, you will find what type of rifle works best for you. The learning curve is steep, but the journey is fun.

Yes! Been there. Done that. My safe is the Island of miss fit toys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinagqe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber