Sako 85 Brown Bear 416 Rigby

Toby— guns. Cody— wives. Me— pissed over Heym 404 not living in my safe. Plywood. Funny post— best of luck with 72 bucks a pop. Really Lon.
Plywood? Never! Heavily glued walnut is what I like to call it!
That 404 Heym could've resided at your residence if you had an itchy "Buy It Now" finger like me!

Two boxes of rather large cartridges arrived today. Unfortunately, it's been raining this evening, so no chance to shoot yet. However, I did load 4 rounds into the magazine, and as expected from Sako, she feeds like butter. Ejection looks very good as well. I don't have a scope mounted yet, but it appears to be ejecting horizontally as it should. It doesn't look like it will have an issue with ejecting up and into the scope turrett as some of the Sakos are known to do. This rifle fits me as good or better than any rifle I've ever owned. The iron sights come in focus immediately when the rifle butt hits my shoulder. So far I am very pleased.

Very nice!

I was able to get out and shoot this one a few times today. I sighted in the iron sights, and got a feel for the recoil. I really can't tell any difference between the 416 Rigby and the 416 Rem Mag or 404 Jeffery with full loads. The Sako does have a very hard pad that could stand to be a bit wider, but for hunting purposes it should be fine. I plan to add a scope and load to around 2300fps, so I think that should tame things down quite nicely.

I was able to get out and shoot this one a few times today. I sighted in the iron sights, and got a feel for the recoil. I really can't tell any difference between the 416 Rigby and the 416 Rem Mag or 404 Jeffery with full loads. The Sako does have a very hard pad that could stand to be a bit wider, but for hunting purposes it should be fine. I plan to add a scope and load to around 2300fps, so I think that should tame things down quite nicely.

:eek:....my God a yank that doesn't want to load it to 3000fps....but stick to how it's worked perfectly for over a century....congratulations :D Beers:

I have been thinking about getting a Brown Bear in 500 Jeffery. I just need to have a go on one first to see if my frame can cope with it. I know @spike.t has one but I would need to go out to his place for a go and we all know how that may end :D Beer Bottle::D Beer Draft::D Cheers::D Drunk::D Passed Out:

I don't think this one will be up for sale if all goes well. It just has that "feel" that I like in a rifle.
Didnt you say that about the 404??

I have been thinking about getting a Brown Bear in 500 Jeffery. I just need to have a go on one first to see if my frame can cope with it. I know @spike.t has one but I would need to go out to his place for a go and we all know how that may end :D Beer Bottle::D Beer Draft::D Cheers::D Drunk::D Passed Out:
I would imagine the 500 would be a handful in the 9.5lb Sako!

I would imagine the 500 would be a handful in the 9.5lb Sako!

Me and pete.g put the synthetic stock on my cz 500 Jeffery last weekend to try it...it weighs 9lbs...it wasnt that bad...he declined to shoot it as said his neck was sore......only negative was too much muzzle rise and it more pleasant to shoot with the wooden stock and got reducer in as standard...but only weighs 10lbs and nice to shoot..but synthetic one fits me better and feels better, so going to see if gunsmith here can fit reducer in it...if so that will be great...so the sako in 500 might not be that bad... @BenKK had one

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois