Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SA wingshooters, GOSA,
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Botswana
Hey guys, hoping there's someone that can give me some advice: is it at all possible to change the safety type on a rifle? Or better still, is it possible to find a left-handed rifle with a flag safety?

Thanks as always!

I know AHR has been converting CZ's thumb push/pull safeties to the 3 position Winchester style for quite sometime.

Winchester initially had their 3 position safety so you would operate it with your right hand thumb, the actual lever was on the left hand side of the action, which would enable you to disengage the safety without adjusting your grip, why they ever switched to the right hand side is beyond me ( unless ) you are left handed. Recknagel manufacture a left or right handed safety for Mauser type actions, not for CZ, they are similar to the Winchester safety.

Montana Rifle Company has left hand rifles with a winchester style safety.

One of the few left hand ones I know of.... Jim Brockman also makes one. I have a .458 Lott with one in left hand.

If I understand what your asking for the Ruger M77s in left hand have this!

Thanks for all the replies! I was a little ambiguous, I do apologise. I grew up shooting oldish mausers, so I'm most comfortable with the flag safeties found on those rifles. However, I'm looking to invest in my first lefty rifle and it doesn't look like mauser ever made any 98 left handed actions. Thus, the question. I'm looking for a relatively strong action with either a flag or shotgun-like safety (as found on some rugers and savage rifles). I'm not a huge fan of either listed actions, so if I can't come right, I'll either take a CZ action or a pre '64.

all of my CZ's have been changed to Winchester type 3 position safety's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you