Safety in South Africa 2017

the sad part is some people who hunt and outfit in other country's other then SA have seen this as there chance to scare people also about going to SA.

Africa is no different then any other place and has people who kill others and steal to.

The only time I felt threatened in SA was when that damned black mamba slithered into camp!!!:eek: The problem was quickly solved by two loads of bird shot from the PH's shotgun. I was also taken aback by the fences and barbwire/razorwire/electricity when I first drove through Joberg......however, I was also in Dublin, Ireland, 30 years ago and saw similar sights (broken glass mortared on the top of brick walls, riot gates topped by electrified razor wires around the hotel we were staying in); at first it was a bit unnerving, but when we saw how friendly the locals were, it quickly dissapated. Different world, different thoughts.........if you were to do that (razor wire/electrified fences) around your home here in the states, you would quickly be labeled as "paranoid". I do have locks on the doors, I do have an alarm system, and I do have a gun......why? because the slime that make up the criminal element nowadays no longer just care about taking your "stuff"; they'll take your life as well, and just for kicks.

Reactions: lcq
Guys I live in South Africa. Lived through the 1970's and 1980's the protests the changes since 1994. Not all good and not all bad.
It is all about perception, common sense end getting the balance right between negative propaganda and factual reports.
Yes certain parts of South Africa are not safe but stick with your PH/Outfitter or a local and you will be safe.
Come over and enjoy our beautiful wildlife and hunting opportunities. Speak to people who have been here, hunted here - generally they will be your best bet of the truth.
PS - the barbed wire photo of the sunset - really. Do you know that 99% of farms where you hunt are privately owned and all farms are fenced. This is to keep your animals on your property - they are a valuable commodity - same as a cattle ranch.
Most camps are fenced to keep animals - especially scavengers away from the camp and the garbage cans/ dispensing areas FOR THE ANIMALS SAFETY. Remember we are the intruders in their habitat
Happy and safe hunting

@Scott Slough- There are not 50M white people in SA, so somewhere the numbers are not in line either.

//Gus

No there are not ... the total population of 53 million was rounded down to 50 million to make the calculation easier ... which allowed a % to % comparison.

Reactions: BWH
@Scott Slough, the article you referred to are talking about white people being killed. The white population is roughly 10-11% of the total population of SA, which is usually counted at around 50M.

//Gus

im kind of older than dirt charlie.

Never felt threatened in any way in RSA after five hunts.

In fact, if you act friendly with the locals, they will return your friendliness.

@Scott Slough, the article you referred to are talking about white people being killed. The white population is roughly 10-11% of the total population of SA, which is usually counted at around 50M.

//Gus

I did not try to say the white population of South Africa was 50 million ... the US data was presented as a percentage of the total population so I calculate the percentage of white killed by blacks on an annual basis relative to the total population ... NOT as a percentage of the white population as that would not be a valid comparison. The only way to compare relative risk is to compare relative to the total population.

I think the "danger perception" from going overseas is heightened by not being able to speak the language, not understanding or having the wrong perception of rules, procedures, etc. Not knowing who you would call if you got in a situation you didn't understand. I would imagine someone from another land coming to the USA and feeling the same way. I agree, stay with your local rep/P.H., mind your manners and enjoy the sights and sounds and (most) smells. You are not in Kansas, anymore, Toto. And no, that wasn't directed at you, Charlie!!!

I have never felt threatened in S.A.. I have been held up at rusty AK gunpoint in Nigeria, dodged rebels in Sierra Leone as they invaded Freetown with gunshots everywhere and driven on 2 flat tires to get to the next town in Ghana. But South Africa? I'm not going to shanty town and hanging out. I usually am in the middle of nowhere, right where I want to be. I am considering taking a 6 year old in July so I am willing to out my money where my mouth is.

thats ok charlie,youll get old one of these days,he,he.

if he is lucky or unlucky depending on your point of view

Last edited:
If you worry about news reports you'll never go anywhere. I always say you can go hunt most anywhere in the world safely if you are with good people. Go and enjoy your safari!
Regards,
Philip

If you worry about news reports you'll never go anywhere. I always say you can go hunt most anywhere in the world safely if you are with good people. Go and enjoy your safari!
Regards,
Philip

Well maybe not Syria tonight!

Reactions: lcq
the race is on charlie,ive got a lot of crotchety left.

I know you got a lot left in ya. In fact I think you need to get back to Africa and hunt some more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg