Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Which of you has hunted in Africa exclusively with a double rifle?
this sounds like a real hunt if you can make it work, all the nostalgia as well as the challenge. I recall a hunt report just a short while ago and this was the case, lots of PG animals and a buff I think, but I can't locate it. What make and calibre did you use, and what sighting system? What would you change next time?

Other than a elephant hunt a few years back. I have always take both a double and a both rifle with me. I defiantly think it takes the challenge up a notch to do it with a double much like a bow hunt. I think to me atleast it makes it feel more personal and emotionally connected with the game your hunting.
As of now I only have two double both big bores. But I’m looking to add one in a medium bore or something more suited for plains game or longer shots. I have completed the tiny ten and in the back of my mine have always dreamed of trying to go after them all again with a double rifle or bow setup.
Keep a eye to the forms as you may just see my double in action soon. I’m making the jump over the pond this Friday Aug 6 so you just never know what’s in store for my Heym 500 nitro once I arrive.

Other than a elephant hunt a few years back. I have always take both a double and a both rifle with me. I defiantly think it takes the challenge up a notch to do it with a double much like a bow hunt. I think to me atleast it makes it feel more personal and emotionally connected with the game your hunting.
As of now I only have two double both big bores. But I’m looking to add one in a medium bore or something more suited for plains game or longer shots. I have completed the tiny ten and in the back of my mine have always dreamed of trying to go after them all again with a double rifle or bow setup.
Keep a eye to the forms as you may just see my double in action soon. I’m making the jump over the pond this Friday Aug 6 so you just never know what’s in store for my Heym 500 nitro once I arrive.
That is in a few days UH, you must be very excited. I look forward to the report, post lots of pics.

That is in a few days UH, you must be very excited. I look forward to the report, post lots of pics.
Getting very excited. Doing my COVID test and hoping all goes well. Then my nerves may settle a bit. Still not looking forward to the travel as it is such a long route from the states to get there. I’m defiantly going with an open mind and will see what i can get in range for the double.
Been mulling over how to do a report or if it should be a live action day to day story. Actually been trying to convince the Outfitter to do kind of a my side his side story line. But that’s for another thread.

Getting very excited. Doing my COVID test and hoping all goes well. Then my nerves may settle a bit. Still not looking forward to the travel as it is such a long route from the states to get there. I’m defiantly going with an open mind and will see what i can get in range for the double.
Been mulling over how to do a report or if it should be a live action day to day story. Actually been trying to convince the Outfitter to do kind of a my side his side story line. But that’s for another thread.
If you are going after plains game with the 500, what loads are you using?

I like the idea of a day by day installments, it is easier to read the mood and probably easier to write too. Hearing the outfitter's take could be both interesting and amusing.

I like the idea of a day by day installments, it is easier to read the mood and probably easier to write too. Hearing the outfitter's take could be both interesting and amusing.
That is what I have often though as we don’t see much from there side and I don’t know if it’s fear of there reputation or fear of offending there clients. I for one would like it the good, bad, and ugly as long as it’s the truth. Let’s see

Last edited:
If you are going after plains game with the 500, what loads are you using?
I will be taking factory hornady ammo DGS and DGX in 570 gr I know I have heard the stories on them as Being poor ammo but they have done the job for me. Even though I prefer woodleighs softs when I hand load. I will also be taking a bolt gun in 375 with swift A frames. But let’s see if we can get close enough it will defiantly be the double as my first choice. I have a trijicon on my double and I’m pretty confident with it. I took a giraffe with it a few years ago at about 70 yrds

@Kevin Peacocke here's the link to the hunt report you couldn't locate. It took me a while to find it too!

@Kevin Peacocke here's the link to the hunt report you couldn't locate. It took me a while to find it too!

Yes, thanks Jasyblood, that is the one! There was another recently too, I'll look tomorrow.

@PerH ‘s and my childhood hero , Bengt Berg did exactly that during the 1930s . This article from the Double Gun Journal should really interest you .
https://www.germanhuntingguns.com/bengt-bergs-fantastic-set-of-simson-guns/ . Of course , he had nine sets of barrels made for the rifle , which is impractical in today’s day and age .

In modern times , It can definitely be done by a passionate double rifle user with as less as two barrel sets . I knew someone who took an Auguste Francotte Sidelock Ejector with him to Kenya , in 1974 . The rifle had two sets of 26 inch barrels . One scoped set in 9.3x74 mm R ( regulated for RWS 293 Gr TUG soft points ) and one ivory bead open sighted set in .458 Winchester Magnum ( regulated for 500 Gr Hornady bullets and 66 Gr of IMR3031 ) . The guy got a full bag .

I’ve never seen anybody manage to pull it off yet , with only one barrel set . But if I were a guessing man , I’d say that you could probably pull it off with either a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum or a .450/400 NE .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 6.00.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 6.00.06 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 69
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 6.00.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 6.00.08 PM.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 69
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 6.00.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 6.00.11 PM.png
    8.5 MB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 6.00.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 6.00.13 PM.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 72
@Kevin Peacocke in 2018 I took two doubles, 450NE (Buffalo) and an 9.3x75 (Eland and sable).

@Uintaelkhunter You mentioned that you were flying the 6th. Are you flying with Qatar? We are also flying the 6th.

Which of you has hunted in Africa exclusively with a double rifle?
this sounds like a real hunt if you can make it work, all the nostalgia as well as the challenge. I recall a hunt report just a short while ago and this was the case, lots of PG animals and a buff I think, but I can't locate it. What make and calibre did you use, and what sighting system? What would you change next time?
I just got back using your exact 450-400 DR. I got Buffalo, Nyala, Warthog, Wildebeest and Impala all with no problem and only took the one gun.

Yes both were open sights, In 2013 I took a double and a single shot, shot a zebra and a warthog with a double. In 2018 I took two doubles and my wife threw in my 9.3x62 bolt gun along with her 338. Took a giraffe with a 577 BPE hammer gun, hippo and roan with a 450/400 double.

@Kevin Peacocke in 2018 I took two doubles, 450NE (Buffalo) and an 9.3x75 (Eland and sable).

@Uintaelkhunter You mentioned that you were flying the 6th. Are you flying with Qatar? We are also flying the 6th.
Yes Dave I leave out of Chicago on the 6th to Doha then onto Jo-berg arriving early the 8th

I just got back using your exact 450-400 DR. I got Buffalo, Nyala, Warthog, Wildebeest and Impala all with no problem and only took the one gun.
Wonderful Rare Breed, what a great experience. A Double Safari Club member.

I plan on hunting a lot more with my one "double", 9.3x74R/12ga as well as the 7x65R/12ga...
Sell some stuff IvW and get that 500 we saw, a properly fitted one.

Kevin, even though not on one trip, I’ve successfully hunted Buffalo, Zebra, Nyala, Impala, giraffe, blue wildebeest , Eland and koedoe with my .450-400 3&1/4” with open sights.

A one gun Safari is doable in the right area

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmieFletch

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg