Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
The question is what would you like to see and what would be most helpful for someone planning their Safari? What questions do you think would be most easily answered in a video format? I have been working on a video series with this in mind. My son is an aspiring film maker so I’ve put him to work.
To date I have recorded Packing for Safari, My Top 10 gear items for a day on Safari, and Safari Planning- Air Travel. Now I need you to tell me what you want to see next!
I’ve been to Africa 15 times and hunted in 4 different countries. At this point in my hunting career I am really enjoying helping others plan their safaris and that is what this video series is all about.
regards,
Philip

I’ll be uploading the Air Travel tips video soon so be watching for it.
Philip

Thanks for all the great comments and ideas on the Air Travel video. So the question remains what next? What would help in planning your next trip?
I am considering taking a look at shooting sticks in the next video. Thoughts?
regards,

Philip, that would be an excellent video. Considering the different styles of sticks used by PHs and the proper technique for shooting off sticks. Also different techniques one may use for DG verses Plains game.

Thanks for all the great comments and ideas on the Air Travel video. So the question remains what next? What would help in planning your next trip?

Phillip, you will spoil us with such questions!
If I may suggest:
Why not making a tutorial about safari rifle mounts and scope set up?
I believe your favorite is Blaser R8, but why not saying few words for other rifles?

Phillip, you will spoil us with such questions!
If I may suggest:
Why not making a tutorial about safari rifle mounts and scope set up?
I believe your favorite is Blaser R8, but why not saying few words for other rifles?
That’s a good idea. Plus I have several go to rifles besides the Blaser. I am not a gun guru however so whatever I do in this respect is going to be basic advice for hunting scenarios.
Maybe a brief discussion of calibers and scopes then get on the sticks?
Philip

I'd love to see your view on travel, hunt experience, and rifles and gear, for each country. To me, AH has been a great resource planning trips, largely because of so many experienced hunters who have been kind enough to share their experiences. My Namibia hunt was better as a result, and I suspect the same will be true for the pending Zimbabwe hunt for cape buffalo.

Useing shooting sticks sounds good along with proper shot placement, maybe pre trip preparation, outfitter selection for different types of hunts, the process for trophy shipment back to your taxidermist.

The question is what would you like to see and what would be most helpful for someone planning their Safari? What questions do you think would be most easily answered in a video format? I have been working on a video series with this in mind. My son is an aspiring film maker so I’ve put him to work.
To date I have recorded Packing for Safari, My Top 10 gear items for a day on Safari, and Safari Planning- Air Travel. Now I need you to tell me what you want to see next!
I’ve been to Africa 15 times and hunted in 4 different countries. At this point in my hunting career I am really enjoying helping others plan their safaris and that is what this video series is all about.
regards,
Philip

I think for the first timer maybe some pictures of various airports and where you go when you get off the plane. Where will your PH meet you ....that sort of thing. Clearing your rifle! Going to the range prior to the hunt!

I think for the first timer maybe some pictures of various airports and where you go when you get off the plane. Where will your PH meet you ....that sort of thing. Clearing your rifle! Going to the range prior to the hunt!
Thanks Charlie. I am going to do one at the range this week. I hope to explain the different types of shooting sticks. I believe this is the area American hunters are lacking and need practice and advice. Anyone can get comfortable with sticks you just have to go do it!
I think some airport pics and explanations could be helpful as well.
Thanks and let me know if you think of anything else.
We all love Africa and want to share that passion with others here and that is what I am pursuing.
Philip

I'd love to see your view on travel, hunt experience, and rifles and gear, for each country. To me, AH has been a great resource planning trips, largely because of so many experienced hunters who have been kind enough to share their experiences. My Namibia hunt was better as a result, and I suspect the same will be true for the pending Zimbabwe hunt for cape buffalo.
I’d love to read your hunt report from Zim when you get to go. Very good point about the differences in countries. There are certainly different hunting styles and difficulties in different regions.
AH is a great place to learn!
Philip

Useing shooting sticks sounds good along with proper shot placement, maybe pre trip preparation, outfitter selection for different types of hunts, the process for trophy shipment back to your taxidermist.
Thanks @Ravensview
I agree the trip prep is important so I have focused on that. I have packing, gear, and air travel videos up on here and YouTube.
Although it may open a can of worms I probably should do one on dip and pack, taxidermy, and shipping. I don’t want to!!!
regards,
Philip

Although it may open a can of worms I probably should do one on dip and pack, taxidermy, and shipping. I don’t want to!!!

On this, my knowledge is very limited. Pls do! Great idea! (y)

Philip

I agree with the suggestion of a video about choosing and practicing shooting off sticks. I would also suggest a video about things to consider with choosing an outfitter and an Africa hunting location.

Ditto all the above! Got to keep you busy!;)

Philip

I agree with the suggestion of a video about choosing and practicing shooting off sticks. I would also suggest a video about things to consider with choosing an outfitter and an Africa hunting location.
All great ideas. Thanks so much.
Philip

Get out one of your bolt action rifles. On video make it clear showing you removing the bolt, the magazine is empty and light coming through the chamber.

Then have someone be the PH while you follow this person as if you were the client and show them how easy it is to even briefly point the barrel at the PH. And then of course how to be safe.

I can think of no more important prep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.